ADVERTISEMENT

Other Rivals Premium Forums Chatter (Florida, Florida State, Miami)

UCFBS

Todd's Tiki Bar
Gold Member
Oct 21, 2001
USA
Select threads and select responses, nested as appropriate, for your enjoyment. I thought the UCF team medical info was rather interesting, and have made it red.

Florida: Judging Napier in 2024: Two seasons, two grades (July)​

I was going to post this in response to BBlake's "I promise", but thought it was worthy of a separate post.
I view us as having two very distinct schedules. The first one - up through UGA which looks like our schedules in years past. Tough opponents, but one where we should win the majority of our games. Let me break down my thoughts and expectations for this first segment:

Miami (Home) - this is a MUST win for us. We have an experienced (and very effective) QB and are at home. Ward will be good, but it will take him time. This should be a win.
UCF - at home, you simply cannot lose this game to a Directional Florida team. Hopefully we allow DJ to get meaningful reps. Win 5-0.
If we get to this point where we are bowl eligible by UK, then I call this season a success and the program doing the things that we would expect of it.
Now to the brutal part. This requires it's own separate criterion and grade. Could easily go 2-3 or 1-4 at worst ...

• ... that UK game is THE must win game of the year (excluding Samford and UCF….lose either of those and I think it’s a given he gets canned).
  • UCF is gonna be a much closer game than many are saying. The former Arkansas QB KJ Jefferson is gonna be a load in Gus’s offense. We couldn’t stop him last year in the 4th quarter at home vs Arky. I still think we beat them, can’t remember exactly but I think they have a tough game right before us
    • Unless UCF is better than everyone expects i disagree. The hope is last years defense and this years will be apples to oranges comparison. Also this year it’s a night game. We play Arky at night last year we win with ease imo. We also were completely depleted on the Dl and linebackers.
    • ... UCF will be close imo we’re literally their biggest game ever but we win.
  • [Jefferson] was also running behind an SEC OL last coached by Sam Pittman (UGA's former OL coach). Gonna be a lot different running behind UCF's OL.
  • ... UCF may pretend to have titles, but they are far from a directional school and have a QB that beat us in the swamp last year. Yes we should still win, but they are a legit threat ...
  • Ucf plays at TcU, and home vs Colorado before traveling up to Gainesville. If Deion is half ad good as the thinks he is gonna be this year, the knights may be on a losing streak and played two tough games prior gville. If i recall, arkay had a bye week before coming to gville last year ... I think we roll ucf by 2 scores.
  • Losing to UCF in year three at home should be a fireable offense. Like, immediate termination...but they don't ask me. 😂
    • Well, the good news is we aren’t losing to them in year 3…

Florida: UCF Game’s Importance (August)​

As I have mentioned before, I know and play golf some with Coach Malzahn and some UCF’s Boosters as well as their team doctors. Coach Malzahn is convinced UCF will beat Florida and they have this game circled on their calendars. He also believes their team this year is legit and will have a shot at the Big 12 Championship. Whether you believe or care about any of this, I believe UCF will not be a pushover for us, regardless of the fact that it’s a home night game at BHG.
  • I’m glad we have a bye week before we play UCF. And they have to play Colorado the week before they play us. I think they beat Colorado at home but that will be a tough game for them.
  • UCF with KJ Jefferson is very dangerous
  • We need to beat them into oblivion, not just win the game. No excuses on that one.
  • ... I’ve been to their stadium and it doesn’t hold a candle to BHg. If we are healthy, I don’t think it’s even close. We will best then soundly…its actually becoming one of my more confident games. I hope we put them and their fans back in their place, following the bowl game we played them in a few years ago.
  • I don’t know what kind of team UCF has coming back but you do realize they were only 6-7 last year right? It wasn’t even a good UCF team by their standards.
    • [Gus] believes he has a much better team this year. He thought they stunk last year and he was right. BTW:,he isn’t talking smack to anyone. These are private conversations among friends and staff. He just says he has a good feeling about this team.
      • Ironically, just after I wrote my note I heard a prediction in the Athletic that UCF would go 9-3 and beat UF. I’m skeptical of Gus. He’s been a good OC most of the time, but his CEO skills are sorely lacking ... His new QB beat us last year due to our incompetence much of the game, but people forget he was lousy all year. We shall see.
        • Who did they listed as their 3 losses if they have them beating us? Us and Utah are the toughest games and the next toughest isn’t that close
      • Funny you say that! [Gus] is all over his team doctors right now questioning whether he can trust them. They have pulled a few guys out of practice with injuries and he’s not happy about that.
  • Teams like UCF and Tenn with a good offensive philosophy will always be a tough out. Plus, conservative offenses will allow teams to stay in games.
  • I mentioned in the Miami game thread that Miami and UCF are must wins, but IMO the UCF game is the biggest must win of the season. Can you imagine leaving BHG stadium late at night after losing to them and listening to their fans? It will be brutal. I think BN could survive a 6 (or maybe even 5) win season — I don’t think he will survive a lose to UCF. I’m not even sure he’ll make it through the season if he loses to them.
  • I was told 3 of their players needed medical care from EMT's with asthma and they lost a TE to an ACL tear last week.
  • There is no excuse for losing to UCF in year 3. I’m all for giving Billy time, but if this happens, you gotta clean house.
  • Last years defense is a shell of what this year's will be. I hope Jefferson thinks he's playing last years defense.
  • The Jablonski family is filled with physicians. Dad was one of the founders of Winter Park Urology and one of his sons in a urologist in Orlando. Another son is an orthopedic surgeon with Orlando Health's Jewett Orthopedic, UCF's physicians. And I am pretty sure there are more physicians in the family. Great people.
  • I think we beat UCF comfortably....
    • At home in the swamp, there is zero chance we look past this game. I see a 17 point victory ...
      • I agree and as I said before, I trust the collective UCF mouth to have us motivated.

Florida: Other games... (thru this week, Sun 9/15)​

(started in August)
  • UCF overcame a 3 TD deficit to beat TCU so that offense will dominate us probably.

Florida: I Was Invited To Practice in Mid-August... (thru yesterday, Tue 9/17)​

(started in August)
  • I still think we beat Miss St, UCF, Kentucky, Sow and maybe LSU
    • ... Miss St. and UCF are our only realistic chances to get another win this year IMO. TAMU is likely a 7-5 team and they dominated us on the lines of scrimmage ...

Florida: Board of trustees meeting tomorrow morning (merged 6 threads) (started Sat 9/14)​

Article: Staples: Billy Napier's time at Florida has run out
  • UCF beat TCU.. we might not win another
    • You think the boos were loud yesterday, wait until UCF beats us at home! Actually, on second thought, given that I live in Central Florida and every UCF fan I know is going up to the game, the boos may be quiet compared to the cheers for UCF.
      • I know many ucf fans as well coming. I’m beginning to wonder if they’ll actually have more fans than we do if we lose next week. But we won’t be bale to stop them after seeing them run up and down against TCU.

Florida: Are we going to be stuck with him through UCF? (started Mon 9/16)​

Obviously if we go to Starkville and win he won't get canned after a win. So are we waiting to lose to UCF? And if we beat UCF does he live for another week? I wish someone could chime in on the potential timeline here. I feel like we are setting ourselves up for disappointment thinking he is going to be fired imminently.
  • He is going to reel off some wins, finish about 8-4 and save his job. Or, more likely, he loses this week or against ucf and is fired then. As bad as msu is, I don’t see winning when you can’t stop an eight grade team with our defense.
  • At the earliest, I see him getting fired after UCF. There is no way we beat them. I SUPPOSE if MSU rolls us, he might get canned. But I expect the game to be a complete shit show. It'll either be 6-3 or 63-56. No in between.
  • If we are guessing here, i would guess the sunday/monday after UCF, regardless of outcome. But if i am wrong it means we beat UCF pretty good, then it will most certainly be after getting blown out at Neyland. I don't think there is anymore than a 5% chance he coaches a single game in November.
  • Just out of curiosity, doesn't before UCF (with a bye week) make more sense?
    • there are pros and cons to each side of the timing discussion.
  • it seems to me, the powers that be are concerned that if the decision is publicly made too soon, the players would have the ability to opt out of the remaining games to preserve a year of eligibility....you can play 4 games and still redshirt. this concern eliminates a decision being made prior to UCF....

Florida: Florida Gators Football Press Conference 9-16-2024 (started, obviously, Min 9/16)​

Punish yourselves accordingly.....
  • I'm so glad I spent $250 per ticket for UCF. Ticket prices were ridiculous this season only to give us the worst football product in history. I would eat my losses if I didn't have a senior gator and a freshman knight. Only silver lining. But yes, it will be our last game of the season for sure.
  • Oh man, the booing for the UCF game is going to be epic.
    • We want Gus chants might happen if we get blown out.

Florida: Does BN keep his job if he wins these games (started yesterday, Tue 9/17)​

Do you think we end up keeping him if he can win the following game's or is the toothpaste out of the tube on this staff. I hope not and it’s my only fear of keeping him on. It’s Gator luck to find a way to win 5 more games and keep this horrible staff for another year. When you look at this list, we could win these except maybe LSU would be the biggest stretch ... MSU UCF UK LSU FSU
  • If we are 2-5 by the end of UK game, I think he’s announced by then or if 3-4 and blown out by Tenn and lost to UCF, I think they announce it. I think it’s already been decided he’s done, maybe just let finish few more games
  • IMO, he gets fired after the next loss. Because no matter who it is, it's will be embarrassing. Mississippi State is the worst team in the SEC no doubt, and that would be his worst loss in his tenure. UCF is a team were supposed to beat, no matter if they're in the BIG12 or not. And if we manage to beat them both, Tennessee is licking their chops and will probably try to score 80 on us. There is no way he makes it past Sunday after Tennessee
  • KY and LSU are all but guaranteed losses. UCF is going to so fired up... FSU, MSU maybe.
  • He will not be fired until after UCF. We can’t have our entire team red shirt the season. He gets fired after game 5. Bookmark it.
  • And thus, several of us have said that UCF is the pivotal game. He can lose to MSU this weekend and still not get fired but lose to both? Yeeesh. If he beats MSU this weekend but loses to UCF then I think Kentucky does him in. If he beats MSU and UCF he might survive till Tennessee but losing to Kentucky again might keep him from getting that far.

P.S. There are a lot of new threads this week. I can search more if desired. I've really cut down a lot here!

E.g., there was a mention that 53 players have not redshirted. Are they having that issue at Florida as of this week?!

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.