ADVERTISEMENT

P5 teams that will play to win against G5 teams in bowls

ucfversusbcs

Golden Knight
Oct 14, 2010
Reading the message boards there are fanbases who use the excuse that their team won't be motivated to play against a G5 team in a bowl.
Those teams include Auburn, NGEbraska, Notre Dame, Arkansas, Baylor, Alabama, Pittsburgh, Virginia, Louisville and I'll include FSU from 2010 to the Taggart era.
Now list P5 teams who have been or could be motivated against the G5 in their bowls whether its a basic bowl or a NY6 bowl.

The reason i excluded pre 2010 FSU, was because Bowden liked a challenge whoever the team is. Although he won only two national titles, his teams were Top 10 finishers for close to two decades and that didnt come from not being motivated in bowl games.

NC State were motivated when they played us in the St Pete Bowl in 2014. Whatever success they have is certainly overshadowed by many in the ACC so the opportunity to close out with a bowl win is a positive for their program.

Downvote.

Every team, every bowl. No team wants to lose. No one playing wants to perform poorly, whether to their coaches, their friends, their fans, or themselves. There is a reason they are playing football, they probably enjoy it to be that good.

Reactions: 80'sKnight
It’d be pretty rare for a team to be excited about matching up with a G5. UCF may be the only exception because of undefeated, spotlight, etc.

Funny thing is G5 never has to use that excuse. Do you think a matchup with Baylor was the most exciting P5 school for UCF? They had a few good years under briles but are historically shitty. That game was about winning a BCS bowl (something baylor has never done), not about the opponent. UCF played more high profile opponents that year than Baylor.

Motivation is a factor for performance but its not the only factor and its never an excuse. If you're not motivated, you don't have what it takes to win and deserve an L.

What if we matched up Auburn with a highschool team in a NY6 game? Would Auburn lose? And then claim they weren't motivated?

No self respecting athlete admits they aren't motivated. That's an excuse for fans who have never played competitive sports.

Motivation is a factor for performance but its not the only factor and its never an excuse. If you're not motivated, you don't have what it takes to win and deserve an L.

What if we matched up Auburn with a highschool team in a NY6 game? Would Auburn lose? And then claim they weren't motivated?

No self respecting athlete admits they aren't motivated. That's an excuse for fans who have never played competitive sports.
UCF wasn’t motivated. We wanted to be in the CFP and play Alabama. Auburn didn’t see the best of UCF

LSU will probably have a couple defenders sit out the bowl game for draft prep. Another excuse
Just a matter of time before players sit out the CFPs too. Then, those games will be meaningless as well. We will have to settle for the Big Boy Mowers Bowl. At least we will know those teams are trying and most likely be at full strength

Can’t wait for the day that say a Notre Dame plays an Alabama and 7 guys sit out

Kerryon Johnson had to prove to NFL scouts that he was healthy and 100%

Yeah...., he wasn’t trying. Of course his offensive line wasn’t trying to help him run the ball well either

Auburn offensive line members:

“Kerryon dude, it’s just UCF. You’re on your own. We aren’t trying to block for you today. Thanks for running your ass off this year. Hope you get injured again.”

So ridiculous

Just a matter of time before players sit out the CFPs too. Then, those games will be meaningless as well. We will have to settle for the Big Boy Mowers Bowl. At least we will know those teams are trying and most likely be at full strength

Can’t wait for the day that say a Notre Dame plays an Alabama and 7 guys sit out
Lmao

Reactions: ucfversusbcs
Reading the message boards there are fanbases who use the excuse that their team won't be motivated to play against a G5 team in a bowl.
Those teams include Auburn, NGEbraska, Notre Dame, Arkansas, Baylor, Alabama, Pittsburgh, Virginia, Louisville and I'll include FSU from 2010 to the Taggart era.
Now list P5 teams who have been or could be motivated against the G5 in their bowls whether its a basic bowl or a NY6 bowl.
No matter what the talking heads say Auburn desperately wanted to win the Peach Bowl. Watching the game their sideline was going crazy when they rallied back at the end and were driving for a score. Malzahn was animated and coaching hard. Kerryon Johnson after the game said they played hard to win. This is just a argument talking head homers use to justify a loss.

Here is a picture of people who use the not motivated excuse. You all remember it as the school girl excuse "I wasn't really trying." It goes in the same garbage can as the whiner who will win or take his ball and go home.

th

By the way, does any P5 team enjoy the embarrassment of losing to a G5? Always remember the award thing that Georgia made with the Bowl game V. UCF counted as their final win of the season. WHOOOPS!

Downvote.

Every team, every bowl. No team wants to lose. No one playing wants to perform poorly, whether to their coaches, their friends, their fans, or themselves. There is a reason they are playing football, they probably enjoy it to be that good.
I heard on it ESPN U radio though. The NGEbraska board said it. So did the Pitt board.

Reactions: Mikesi
It’d be pretty rare for a team to be excited about matching up with a G5. UCF may be the only exception because of undefeated, spotlight, etc.
Id think Georgia is motivated when they beat Hawaii. Even a beat Bulldog team kept us to 10 points in the Liberty Bowl. Miss State didnt play in a bowl game for ages when they won the Liberty Bowl in 2007.

Downvote.

I'll bring this back up when bowl season comes around.
Until then, this is about naming P5 programs that are motivated to play G5 teams come bowl season.

No matter what the talking heads say Auburn desperately wanted to win the Peach Bowl. Watching the game their sideline was going crazy when they rallied back at the end and were driving for a score. Malzahn was animated and coaching hard. Kerryon Johnson after the game said they played hard to win. This is just a argument talking head homers use to justify a loss.
Other Auburns fans insist they weren't and whatever momentum they gained and whatever reaction they had was in their natural competitiveness.

No. UCF players are almost never not motivated for anything. Hence 23-0
Even before 23-0, we destroyed Ball State. We're still humble. Then again we don't have that P5 label that is apparently responsible for selective motivation.

I think this should be the first question from the media to the head coach of the "P5" team...

1. Coach, is your team motivated to be here and do you plan on trying to win the game?

Last edited:
Id think Georgia is motivated when they beat Hawaii. Even a beat Bulldog team kept us to 10 points in the Liberty Bowl. Miss State didnt play in a bowl game for ages when they won the Liberty Bowl in 2007.
The Georgia win is in my Top 5. Held AJ Green to 77 yards, Georgia 280 total yards. Well off their season average. Latavius Murray 104 rushing. Godfrey was a much better receiver than QB, but he gutted this one out for a big win.

I think this should be the first question from the media to the head coach of the "P5" team should be...

1. Coach, is your team motivated to be here and do you plan on trying to win the game?
I agree. And i'm kinda surprised everyone on this board isn't playing along with the premise the media is pushing, that the P5 isnt motivated because they have nothing to gain and everything to lose.
So my question is which schools historically or currently wouldnt buy into this crap. I listed the ones above because they have said it on their own forums.

The Georgia win is in my Top 5. Held AJ Green to 77 yards, Georgia 280 total yards. Well off their season average. Latavius Murray 104 rushing. Godfrey was a much better receiver than QB, but he gutted this one out for a big win.
Yes defense was great, but didnt we put up alot of points that year?

Yes defense was great, but didnt we put up alot of points that year?
Yes they lit up the scoreboard that season. Godfrey rushed for 10 TD's, passed for 13. Godfrey's problem was mental mistakes, like throwing 8 INT's, 2 in the Georgia game. Great clutch receiver, and could catch Holman's fastballs.

Reactions: ucfversusbcs
Yes they lit up the scoreboard that season. Godfrey rushed for 10 TD's, passed for 13. Godfrey's problem was mental mistakes, like throwing 8 INT's, 2 in the Georgia game. Great clutch receiver, and could catch Holman's fastballs.
Thats why i add Georgia on the list of teams that are motivated against the G5. Decent game against us in the LB and they had a bad 2010 season with injuries too.
they destroyed Hawaii in the Sugar Bowl too.

Reactions: PowerEye101
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT