ADVERTISEMENT

P6?

I mean I appreciate what Aresco is trying to do, but I had to LOL every time the SunBelt was crashing through our line and dominating us.

Houston was dominated as well. So far the P6 has lost to SunBelt and MWC. Doesn't sound very P6.
It was the opposing team's Superbowl and a disappointment to us. Get with the talking points, Aresco can't do this alone.

Reactions: MechaKnight
Well the P5 is a made up name that has more to do with money. Really nothing wrong with pushing the P6 status. Doesn't hurt...

Our Oline was really bad. I hope that is our focus the next 2 years. Everyone was jumping on Milton but he had the defensive line in the back field all night.

The American had a better year than the Sun Belt last year and for most of this year.

It was the opposing team's Superbowl and a disappointment to us. Get with the talking points, Aresco can't do this alone.

Aresco is hurting you guys with all of that BS. Whether or not he meant to do it, I don't know, he sort of made these games a Super Bowl type game for your other G5 opponents.

As a football player, you don't need a ton of motivation to play, and feeling disrespected by your opponent is certainly motivation. Even if the disrespect is more out of a talking head than the actual coaches and players.

I will say this, Frost did you guys no favors this week by not requiring the entire team to attend some of the bowl events. Our coaches and players talked about that several times post game that we felt slighted because of it.

Houston gets a pass for their Bowl Game. Their HC left them and their D.C. was probably more concerned with looking up real estate in Austin vs prepping for San Diego State. Disappointing finish for them but they still beat the Big12 Champ & the Heisman Trophy Winner.

Eve
Aresco is hurting you guys with all of that BS. Whether or not he meant to do it, I don't know, he sort of made these games a Super Bowl type game for your other G5 opponents.

As a football player, you don't need a ton of motivation to play, and feeling disrespected by your opponent is certainly motivation. Even if the disrespect is more out of a talking head than the actual coaches and players.

I will say this, Frost did you guys no favors this week by not requiring the entire team to attend some of the bowl events. Our coaches and players talked about that several times post game that we felt slighted because of it.
Even if we play Auburn I doubt he makes anyone go to the sideshow stuff. Doesn't mean we are disrespecting opponent. They pretty much didn't show up for game either. Went through motions.

Nobody pays attention to bowl games. Seniors are checked out and everyone is thinking about next year.

Right. That is what a fan of the losing team would say.

Possibly finish 7-6 with a bowl win after an 0-12 season. This game was a big deal...until UCF got thrashed.

Losses by 6th and 7th place AAC teams to other conferences conference champions is not indicative of being Sun Belt or MWC level. UCF overachieved mightily this year. Houston lost their coach. The middle of the pack P5 teams like South Carolina are underdogs to the mid-top of our conference. Will be interesting how the other game shape up.

Nobody pays attention to bowl games. Seniors are checked out and everyone is thinking about next year.

I'm not saying you're wrong but this just drives me nuts. It smacks of the 2010 Liberty Bowl when we beat Georgia. The Bulldog fans loved to use this as an excuse.

You get a finite number of games in your career - make them count. Especially when you sneak into a bowl with a 6-6 record. The potential for finishing with a losing record on the year should be enough to get motivated. In my opinion, you aren't much of a competitor if you're checked out.

Right. That is what a fan of the losing team would say.

Possibly finish 7-6 with a bowl win after an 0-12 season. This game was a big deal...until UCF got thrashed.

No. Look at the less than 20,000 people who bought tickets for this crap 15 miles from campus before they knew the outcome of the game.

Nobody cared. The only thing that mattered was the 15 extra practices which will help us next year.

I'm not saying you're wrong but this just drives me nuts. It smacks of the 2010 Liberty Bowl when we beat Georgia. The Bulldog fans loved to use this as an excuse.

You get a finite number of games in your career - make them count. Especially when you sneak into a bowl with a 6-6 record. The potential for finishing with a losing record on the year should be enough to get motivated. In my opinion, you aren't much of a competitor if you're checked out.

The 2010 Liberty Bowl game was special because it showed that we could compete with P5 (then BCS) talent. The difference in talent level between 2010 Georgia and 2010 UCF was much much larger than the talent difference between 2016 Arkansas State and 2016 UCF.

yeah it's becoming more common in the Playoff era.

Both L. Fournette and C. McCaffrey are sitting out their Bowl Games

I don't agree with it but it's true. motivation is big in these game. There were Georgia players spotted drinking on Bealle Street that week

Houston's best Wide Receiver missed curfew twice during the Las Vegas bowl week

yeah it's becoming more common in the Playoff era.

Both L. Fournette and C. McCaffrey are sitting out their Bowl Games

Bowl season gives me something to watch while I get fat for the holidays but the games don't count. The best players aren't playing. We are basically evaluating back ups to see how they'll do next season. I wish they expanded the playoff to 16 like the other divisions. I don't understand how the bowls make any money, nobody goes to them.

Reactions: Poolside Knight
Nobody cared. The only thing that mattered was the 15 extra practices which will help us next year.

The team didn't seem to improve in any way with more practice. In all actuality the team seemed to regress with the more practices (Penalties, special team miscues, no running game, ect.) . Fans, calling for new oline, new secondary, new QB. So 15 extra practices for half a roster people don't even want to see start next year.

The team didn't seem to improve in any way with more practice. In all actuality the team seemed to regress with the more practices (Penalties, special team miscues, no running game, ect.) . Fans, calling for new oline, new secondary, new QB. So 15 extra practices for half a roster people don't even want to see start next year.
They worked on fundamentals and I think there was a marked improvement of the offensive line's pad level as the defensive line blew past them. Like a turnstile with a lower center of gravity.

It definitely seems like the team took a step backward over the last month. For as much as Frost said he didn't really have any specific goals for this year it sure seems like after we got to 6 wins the foot came off pedal a bit. We also ran into some good teams and probably some of the younger guys hit a wall at the same time. Still happy with 6 wins after none, but I don't want this last month's trend lingering.

Are you saying no bowl game matters? Not even the Fiesta or Peach or any Holiday 6? or just the crap ones like the Cure Bowl and the Captain Crunch Cocoa puff bowls?

I listened to part of the game on XM. The announcers said clearly the 15 extra practices did not help UCF in this bowl game much less next year. It was a funny comment.

I think the playoffs are having this effect. The P5s are all gunning for one of those spots, anything short is just not as compelling anymore. The G5s know their glass ceiling is the NY6 bowl slot. The P5 that gets scheduled against that G5 really doesn't care. Which is a letdown manufactured by ESPN.

It would be great to eliminate the bowls all together and go with a 2 16 team playoffs (like an NIT). That's 30 postseason games, which is close to the 40 bowl games we currently have. So if the bowl games needed to be contractually preserved, most could be. Of course 32 postseason teams is a drastic reduction from the 80 today, but making the postseason would mean something again.

Are you saying no bowl game matters? Not even the Fiesta or Peach or any Holiday 6? or just the crap ones like the Cure Bowl and the Captain Crunch Cocoa puff bowls?

a good example of motivation/circumstance

FSU had Playoff aspirations that they didn't meet but finished strong & is facing Michigan in the Orange Bowl. That match-up probably has their players engaged and motivated bc of Harbaugh & all the attention that comes with it. If they are paired up with W. Michigan there's a good chance their players come out flat with less focus.

The difference in talent level between 2010 Georgia and 2010 UCF was much much larger than the talent difference between 2016 Arkansas State and 2016 UCF.

The relative differences don't matter, only the absolute talent level, which is at the FCS level

Wins and losses on the field matter little when it comes to conferences. The most likely configuration will be a P4 of 16 school conferences, each truly national north-south and east-west once the Big12 implodes and its lesser Texas teams are demoted to G5. That will be UCF opportunity to join the Big Ten or Pac 12 (since other Florida teams will block our entry to the ACC and SEC).

The best way to up our chances of being picked for this last big expansion is to pursue the stadium expansion to 60+K, secure dependable large donors, continue developing facilities across all sports, and get more alums elected to the legislature. All these are at various stages of planning already and those two confererences gain instant national recruiting and markets by adding us. USF demographics are too older and not as rapidly growing in population or alumni.

Reactions: Poolside Knight
Wins and losses on the field matter little when it comes to conferences. The most likely configuration will be a P4 of 16 school conferences, each truly national north-south and east-west once the Big12 implodes and its lesser Texas teams are demoted to G5. That will be UCF opportunity to join the Big Ten or Pac 12 (since other Florida teams will block our entry to the ACC and SEC).

The best way to up our chances of being picked for this last big expansion is to pursue the stadium expansion to 60+K, secure dependable large donors, continue developing facilities across all sports, and get more alums elected to the legislature. All these are at various stages of planning already and those two confererences gain instant national recruiting and markets by adding us. USF demographics are too older and not as rapidly growing in population or alumni.
I agree except about the need to expand the stadium to 60k.

There are current Power 5 Programs that get by just fine with stadiums around 50k in capacity(TCU). I'd rather keep capacity low and if demand gets that high where UCF is selling out every game, just raise the ticket prices. With the attendance issues this season we have a long way to go to worry about debating stadium expansion

None of them matter except the ones in the CFP.

#bowlsdontmatter

I mean I appreciate what Aresco is trying to do, but I had to LOL every time the SunBelt was crashing through our line and dominating us.

Houston was dominated as well. So far the P6 has lost to SunBelt and MWC. Doesn't sound very P6.
I was thinking the same thing. It's either GOL's players we were left with or the inability of Frost and team to take the guys we have and prepare them to perform. It was like our worst game of the season...WHY?

I agree except about the need to expand the stadium to 60k.

There are current Power 5 Programs that get by just fine with stadiums around 50k in capacity(TCU). I'd rather keep capacity low and if demand gets that high where UCF is selling out every game, just raise the ticket prices. With the attendance issues this season we have a long way to go to worry about debating stadium expansion
Ain't no way no how that's happenin with the program where it is now. Money is too short from the lack of attendance revenue. :)

The 2010 Liberty Bowl game was special because it showed that we could compete with P5 (then BCS) talent. The difference in talent level between 2010 Georgia and 2010 UCF was much much larger than the talent difference between 2016 Arkansas State and 2016 UCF.
That means you think Arkansas 2nd tier recruits are as good as Floridas. They pretty much aren't.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT