ADVERTISEMENT

PAC-12 TV revenue about to get dwarfed by SEC & Big Ten

Brandon

Publisher
Staff
May 28, 2001
Winter Park, FL
www.ucfsports.com
Couple stories out there today now that the PAC-12 has released its revenues for 2013-14. Yes, things are about even for now comparing the Power Five leagues (PAC-12 distributed $21M to members last year). But things about to change. It's not the first time we've heard this, but it seems the PAC-12 is getting a little envious. I'm not sure what they can do about it outside of finding a way to make their network generate more revenue. Texas/Oklahoma would have done that.

From a CBS story today:

Still, an alarm sounded around the Pac-12 in March when San Jose Mercury News reporter Jon Wilner wrote a series projecting the league's financial future. Wilner's conclusion: Even if the Pac-12 Network eventually gets distribution with DirecTV -- a never-ending saga that frustrates the Pac-12 and its fans -- the conference will soon lag far behind.

Wilner estimated that starting in 2017-18, TV revenue for conferences will look like this: SEC $35.6 million, Big Ten $33 million, Pac-12 $22.95 million. No Pac-12 athletic director who spoke with CBSSports.com would go on record about the topic. But several ADs privately shared concerns represented in Wilner's series, especially as new costs for athletes kick in, such as cost of attendance and post-college medical expenses.

Pac-12 schools currently receive about $1 million each year from the Pac-12 Network. South Carolina athletic director Ray Tanner recently told his trustees that the new SEC Network, flush with leverage from ESPN/Disney as partners, could pay at least $5 million per school this year. The Big Ten Network pays out more than $10 million to each school annually and the conference has a new TV deal for Tier 1 rights coming in 2017-18.

Wilner's numbers in the series “at least from our perspective were not completely accurate,” Scott told CBSSports.com in March. “But overall, I don't disagree with the trends. I think the Big Ten is going to have a significant uptick in their rights knowing they'll get more in 2017. And the SEC Network I believe is going to kick out significant resources. It's a big, big success. What we haven't shared with anyone was our projections for how our network is going to grow. The numbers that (Wilner) used and what he thinks it will be is nowhere near that.”

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...ally-about-to-fall-far-behind-big-ten-and-sec

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News