ADVERTISEMENT

Play second round at Illinois St. Monday night -- good team

I have never heard anything remotely like this about Justin McBride from anybody at any time. On the other hand, I did see him cheering on his teammates and I did see him taking Tacko under his wing. You really are the Baghdad Bob of this message board.

07-minister.jpg

wow...you make a lot of claims with no real substantiation and certainly no actual confirmation...are you the "fake news" contributor to the board?...re: Justin, you are off base about his attitude....and you claim you were his "biggest supporter"?...what a joke...

McBride was a positive contributor, wanted to win and played hard...his weakness was his inability to get into complete game playing shape....and that had to contribute to why Johnny was OK with his moving on....

Re Matt, here's his quote “I just feel like UCF was the place for me,” Williams told UCFSports.com in a text message. “It’s the place where I started and where I should finish." Now that's a real quote, I'm not making stuff up....I don't see any claim that he's staying because Adonys is leaving, do you?.....interpret as you want but, as I started my with my original comment and without any personal attacks on these young men, I wonder what they're thinking now?
What else was Matt going to say? He'd met with Wake Forest, filed the transfer paperwork, requested to use the facilities just to keep in shape til he left, Dawkins allowed it, he was going to a possible contender in the top basketball conference, UCF's program was coming off 4 straight bad seasons, the coach was fired, others were transferring, and Wake was clearly the best (only) choice for ever having a chance of showing off his skills to make the NBA. Those are all facts vs. your PR quotes -- what else was he going to say? He was going to have to play with guys who he didn't think were good enough and that he had abandoned for his own self interest (not that we'd could possibly blame him, but we we're weren't teammates going into battle with him for 30+ games). And in fact he didn't say, "I love these guys and didn't want to desert them when they're short-handed, no matter how much it harms my chances for the pros."
Re: McBride -- that's what I just said. He was everyone's favorite player to watch, won several games for us. But he wanted to play pro ball at some level, and playing behind a Tacko in better shape wasn't gonna do it for him. As it was, he was a 13 min/game player like Chad for 3 years.

Illinois state fans seem to be looking past this game and are ready to buy seats for a game against Illinois. Let's hope their team is doing the same. They seem to be having strong ticket sales. I hope UCF goes into their house and blows the roof off.
They seem to think some of our comments on this thread are ludicrous. I think most comments have been fair. This will be a tuff test for both teams, and in no way a gimmie.
Professor's comments really seemed to get them going.
I did not see one mention of Nick Banyard coming back to play them.
Let's go Knights!
Wichita St., the team that beat Ill. St. by 20 and 39 points, just lost to Kentucky.
UCF had nine 20+ point wins (even against very good teams Charleston, Mississippi St., and Memphis) but no 20 point losses (not even in the 4 losses against ranked teams). If Wichita St. moves to our conference, it will leave Ill. St. like the "Kansas City Star" song of Roger Miller,

I think if this was a home game, we would win. Teams are pretty evenly matched and we are more than capable of beating them, however homecourt makes them the favorite.

Clinton wasn't good enough because he was so short. Can't have a 6-9 4 man and be a good team.
I disagree. There's been good NBA teams with a 6'9" 4 and college teams with a 6'9" center.

Off the top of my head, I'm thinking the Memphis Grizzlies

Also, "Clinton" wasn't good enough because he was busy banging interns. Haha

Last edited:
I think if this was a home game, we would win. Teams are pretty evenly matched and we are more than capable of beating them, however homecourt makes them the favorite.
It's not just home court. It's one of those places where even a much better team like Wichita didn't have much chance.
But that's the way the NIT is. We were almost 20 points better at home than away this season in our conference games. Worse yet, Illinois St. students are back from spring break this week.

I disagree. There's been good NBA teams with a 6'9" 4 and college teams with a 6'9" center.

Off the top of my head, I'm thinking the Memphis Grizzlies

Also, "Clinton" wasn't good enough because he was busy banging interns. Haha
Grizzlies are a 7 seed and will lose first round of playoffs.

Grizzlies are a 7 seed and will lose first round of playoffs.
Ha. Nice try. They are an NBA team, making the playoffs and play in the West. That says A LOT.
Bet there there are so many teams with a 6'9" 4 or center (in COLLEGE) that have been great, that it's really too numerous to even go into.

Sometimes you have a great argument and sometimes you just have to admit that there isn't one

Jamychal Green can't be their first choice. Willing to bet most people never heard of him. Grizzlies are not good. Half of NBA teams make playoffs. Doesn't make you good.
Ha. Nice try. They are an NBA team, making the playoffs and play in the West. That says A LOT.
Bet there there are so many teams with a 6'9" 4 or center (in COLLEGE) that have been great, that it's really too numerous to even go into.

Sometimes you have a great argument and sometimes you just have to admit that there isn't one
ycha

What else was Matt going to say? He'd met with Wake Forest, filed the transfer paperwork, requested to use the facilities just to keep in shape til he left, Dawkins allowed it, he was going to a possible contender in the top basketball conference, UCF's program was coming off 4 straight bad seasons, the coach was fired, others were transferring, and Wake was clearly the best (only) choice for ever having a chance of showing off his skills to make the NBA. Those are all facts vs. your PR quotes -- what else was he going to say? He was going to have to play with guys who he didn't think were good enough and that he had abandoned for his own self interest (not that we'd could possibly blame him, but we we're weren't teammates going into battle with him for 30+ games). And in fact he didn't say, "I love these guys and didn't want to desert them when they're short-handed, no matter how much it harms my chances for the pros."
Re: McBride -- that's what I just said. He was everyone's favorite player to watch, won several games for us. But he wanted to play pro ball at some level, and playing behind a Tacko in better shape wasn't gonna do it for him. As it was, he was a 13 min/game player like Chad for 3 years.

My last post on this...maybe you should do some investigation before attacking a student athlete...and you're a Prof?...really?

Straight from the Central Florida Future with a quote from AJ..

“Me and coach Dawkins sat down [and] made an agreement,” McBride said. “I had to hold up my end of the bargain, [and] he held up his end of the bargain. If I didn’t hold up my end of the bargain, certain things would happen, and I wasn’t able to do it.”

The conversations between McBride and Dawkins were held in confidence by McBride, but he felt that this was an agreement between men, and he felt that he had to honor the deal rather than look for a way out.

“I feel like I let everyone down,” McBride said. “That’s what happened, it was nothing more [and] nothing less. I don’t want it to seem like it was Dawkins trying to kick me off the team because he was trying to do this or trying to do that.”

Although McBride feels he’s let down his team, redshirt junior A.J. Davis expressed what outstanding character McBride exhibited during his tenure as a Knight. Davis supports his decision regardless of the circumstances.

“I wanted to let him know that I cared and that we were still going to be brothers and we were going to be cool no matter what,” Davis said. “Justin is one of the purest hearts I know, one of the greatest dudes I know, a man of God [and] a great person overall.

“I hate to see it. I wish he would of asked for one more chance or did whatever he had to do to stay. That’s just part of Justin.”

Reactions: Nyght Shadow
Jamychal Green can't be their first choice. Willing to bet most people never heard of him. Grizzlies are not good. Half of NBA teams make playoffs. Doesn't make you good.

ycha
Hey.., your argument was for COLLEGE/Clanton not being a tall enough 4 at 6-9. and I gave you ONE OF MANY PRO examples off the top my head. Didn't even touch the college examples

You're almost as bad as Trump hanging onto the wiretap claims.

Ok just go off of this years top seeds left. Zona, Kansas, Kentucky, Duke, Carolina, UCLA etc. How many of them have 6-9 or smaller starting 4s?

Hey.., your argument was for COLLEGE/Clanton not being a tall enough 4 at 6-9. and I gave you ONE OF MANY PRO examples off the top my head. Didn't even touch the college examples

You're almost as bad as Trump hanging onto the wiretap claims.
Fake news! Terrible!

My last post on this...maybe you should do some investigation before attacking a student athlete...and you're a Prof?...really?

Straight from the Central Florida Future with a quote from AJ..

“Me and coach Dawkins sat down [and] made an agreement,” McBride said. “I had to hold up my end of the bargain, [and] he held up his end of the bargain. If I didn’t hold up my end of the bargain, certain things would happen, and I wasn’t able to do it.”

The conversations between McBride and Dawkins were held in confidence by McBride, but he felt that this was an agreement between men, and he felt that he had to honor the deal rather than look for a way out.

“I feel like I let everyone down,” McBride said. “That’s what happened, it was nothing more [and] nothing less. I don’t want it to seem like it was Dawkins trying to kick me off the team because he was trying to do this or trying to do that.”

Although McBride feels he’s let down his team, redshirt junior A.J. Davis expressed what outstanding character McBride exhibited during his tenure as a Knight. Davis supports his decision regardless of the circumstances.

“I wanted to let him know that I cared and that we were still going to be brothers and we were going to be cool no matter what,” Davis said. “Justin is one of the purest hearts I know, one of the greatest dudes I know, a man of God [and] a great person overall.

“I hate to see it. I wish he would of asked for one more chance or did whatever he had to do to stay. That’s just part of Justin.”
You know my position, and I eat and breath it. All student-athletes should be paid, or else have club sports with volunteer coaches like every other nation's universities in the world. It is pure exploitation and manipulating young people. Universities take advantage of players who all sincerely believe they have a chance to play pro ball.

I didn't attack either player, and your quotes all validate what I said. Matt should have transferred because it was in his best interest, but Adonys' transfer was the context that made it at least not crazy for him stay. McBride was and is my favorite Knight player, but he knew he had to go. That's not an attack either -- he said so himself. These forums seem always about simplistic, one-single factor causes everything because that's the style of posting. Human decisions are a lot more complex. If it's this it can't be that idiocy.

Ok just go off of this years top seeds left. Zona, Kansas, Kentucky, Duke, Carolina, UCLA etc. How many of them have 6-9 or smaller starting 4s?
Villanova. 2016 national champions. Their 2nd biggest starter was like 6'6"

Last edited:
Reactions: UCFBS
We're 3 minutes away from being the only AAC school left in post-season play.
Update: and yet another AAC top team chokes in the NCAAs. As UVa discovered, you can't win in post-season with just defense and slowdown style of play. UCLA figured them out in the second half and Cincy had no answers.

Last edited:
Google Image Illinois State Milner Library. Looks oddly enough like UCF library. i wonder if it was designed by the same architecture.

That style is commonly referred to as "Brutalist Architecture" and was very common in the 50s and 60s for government and public building construction. I bet you that's when their library was built.

The heavily exposed concrete and grid-like top is seen on many buildings from around that time.

512px-Boston_city_hall.jpg

grid-cell-29952-1405542179-12.jpg

It's pretty standard in college basketball. There just aren't that many 7 foot people.

We were good during the Kieth Clanton years who was listed at 6'9.

I just don't think most people realize how tall our team is. Having a 6'9 3 AJ and 6'8 4 Banyard is unreal!
Yeah NCAA its extremely common to have centers under 6'10. IF you can find a 6'11" or 7 footer, they usually have no skills. Its rare to find a big man who can move, play defense and not be a liability on offense, which is why when teams do find them, they go NBA just based on potential....or are like Bam Adebayo and are 6'11" freaks.

Reactions: UCFhonors
The shift from going after European and Aussie big men to sub-Saharan African centers and forwards has been a major trend in college. Many have not been successful either though. Unlike guard or small forward, the front court positions require more pure athleticism and mobility rather than experience on outdoor asphalt courts since age 8.

Reactions: UCFhonors
This thread has everything in it! "Brutalist Architecture" Thanks for the info. I'm unfamiliar with it but google confirms. Interesting. UCF library I think was '68. along with Ill State Library late 60s.

With that said, Go Knights! Cool we got a game tonight to watch. Hope the cards fall in our favor and we host another home game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT