ADVERTISEMENT

Players stages of grief.

firm_bizzle

Todd's Tiki Bar
Gold Member
Jul 24, 2008
Ryan Bass is reporting that they are now at Anger. They want Walters or they are transferring. Also want a 3-4 DC. Let's make Troy the head coach.

He's only been an OC here. I'd want to keep him so that we could keep that clown car running ,but what does he know about running the entire department?

Reactions: Poolside Knight
Transfer from a talented top 10 team to where? Nebraska and sit out a year? UCF along with USF, Houston, and Boise are best positioned to compete for conference championships and NY6 bowl births every year regardless of coach. If these players were getting offers from Alabama or Ohio State they wouldn't have been here in the first place.

Reactions: AAC6800
Anyway, if true they hit anger much faster than I expected.
Who are they and at? Its not Danny White's fault. They need to direct their anger at the right people.

Missing out on someone like Candle in order to have some short term success is dangerous. Then again, Walters might be a hell of a coach. He's just unproven and lacks experience.

Reactions: knight_tracker
Who are they and at? Its not Danny White's fault. They need to direct their anger at the right people.

Missing out on someone like Candle in order to have some short term success is dangerous. Then again, Walters might be a hell of a coach. He's just unproven and lacks experience.

They are mad at Frost and co. Said it would be "awkward" for them to coach the bowl game.

yep if you read up on Candle I bet most of the industry 'experts' might have in in the Top 5 of what is available to even some Power 5 teams

I like that Danny White gets players input but it makes me nervous for next season if he decides to hire Walters.

Walters did not sound very confident in his first presser as interim head coach.

Reactions: knight_tracker
yep if you read up on Candle I bet most of the industry 'experts' might have in in the Top 5 of what is available to even some Power 5 teams

I like that Danny White gets players input but it makes me nervous for next season if he decides to hire Walters.

Walters did not sound very confident in his first presser as interim head coach.

The more offensive minds the better. Candle/Walters is better than Walters/unknown OC.

Reactions: tribbleorlfl
The more offensive minds the better. Candle/Walters is better than Walters/unknown OC.
and Josh Newberg was talking up Candle weeks ago. said he worked for 6 years as an assistant assigned to Florida, he would be coming in with better Florida ties than Frost

Hell Yeah!
De0CyW6.jpg

I'm not against giving Walters a full year.

Pros:

• He knows the system, and he won't change it
  • The players like him, have spent their time at UCF with him
And let's be honest here ...
  • We're late to the "we need a coach" party, in a season with a lot of firings
  • We got Frost early, waiting a year might be good for us, if Walters doesn't work out
I'd love to make a 'splash hire,' but frankly, it might be best to just 'hand it off' at this point.

Pros:

• We got Frost early, waiting a year might be good for us, if Walters doesn't work out
I'd love to make a 'splash hire,' but frankly, it might be best to just 'hand it off' at this point.

If we are tossing around $2 million, I rather have a Candle that is winning at a smaller school with head coaching experience. Give Walters a big raise for loyalty.

I could be wrong but Danny White not even 48 hours ago called UCF the most attractive opening in the Nation, that doesn't sound like a guy that is going to settle on hiring from within.

He may try to get Candle to leave Walters & Beckton on staff

If we are tossing around $2 million, I rather have a Candle that is winning at a smaller school with head coaching experience. Give Walters a big raise for loyalty.
I disagree. Candle is yet another system. Also, I see Candle as a Babers, yet another MAC HC. MAC HCs do not have much success at the next level. Sorry, I just don't see it. I think keeping Walters would be a better move.

I could be wrong but Danny White not even 48 hours ago called UCF the most attractive opening in the Nation, that doesn't sound like a guy that is going to settle on hiring from within.
I'm sure White had to market UCF ... yet, for 2018, Walters might be our best option, if we don't get a 'splash hire.' We really missed the entry point for the HC searching season. We were way, way late.

I'm all for giving Walters 2018 to prove himself.

I'm hoping for Candle or Elliot. Keep Walters and Beckton on the staff. I'm fine with Walters after we see him calling the plays in the near future. Maybe he will be the next man.

I disagree. Candle is yet another system. Also, I see Candle as a Babers, yet another MAC HC. MAC HCs do not have much success at the next level. Sorry, I just don't see it. I think keeping Walters would be a better move.

I'm sure White had to market UCF ... yet, for 2018, Walters might be our best option, if we don't get a 'splash hire.' We really missed the entry point for the HC searching season. We were way, way late.

I'm all for giving Walters 2018 to prove himself.

Babers is coaching at Syracuse with almost no div-1 talent in the state. It is the same problem as Uconn and other schools in the region. Don't assume he is a bad coach.

Babers is coaching at Syracuse with almost no div-1 talent in the state. It is the same problem as Uconn and other schools in the region. Don't assume he is a bad coach.
yep it's all about fit. No one knows what Babers does at UCF

1) If you think Matt Campbell is not having success at Iowa State, you don't realize how epically bad that program is
2) Where did Saban get his first HC gig?

1) If you think Matt Campbell is not having success at Iowa State, you don't realize how epically bad that program is
2) Where did Saban get his first HC gig?
He's one of the few that have.

We really did awesome with hiring Frost. Many argued we needed change, and even I gave into that -- being an alleged 'GoL nuthugger' -- because the change was a great one. Again, even as I said "the grass always seems greener on the other side," when Frost was announced, I thought it was a great change (if we were going to make one).

Babers would not have been a great change.
I feel the same about Candle.

Do not change for change's sake. What's wrong with our program ... now? Oh, Walters isn't an established HC brand name? Sorry, he's been part of the system ... a system that works. He does the prep. He knows our system. He knows our players.

That's worth 1 more year, especially since we are so late to the coaching change party.

I'm for keeping Walters, and looking hard at Elliott. I prefer P5 coordinators, not non-AAC G5 HCs. I never knew Elliott's background.

- https://www.si.com/college-football/2017/12/04/ucf-coaching-search-troy-walters-tony-elliott

Whatever happens, I trust White to make the right decision. So when White announces it, and he's smart to make it happen in the next day or two, let's stick with it. And don't be surprised when it's Walters.

Although I fully expect to be pleasantly shocked if it's not Walters, just like with Frost.

Last edited:
Let the players decide our next coach. What could go wrong? ...... How about Uncle Luke!

Letting the players have input is one thing---having complete control of the situation is ridiculous. I hope that is not what's being considered.

Let the players decide our next coach. What could go wrong? ...... How about Uncle Luke!
Don't insult the characters of our student-athletes. UCF is very different than, say, FAU, FIU or Miami.

I'm starting to like the idea of Elliot. What's the likelihood of someone coming in keeping Walters on as OC though?

I'm starting to like the idea of Elliot. What's the likelihood of someone coming in keeping Walters on as OC though?
If he's smart, he retains him to learn the system that is working here.

Pros:

You can't do that. Walters needs a long term contract in order to recruit. If you find a new coach next year, you have to buy Walter's buyout.

Last edited:
You can't do that. Walters needs a long term contract in order to recruits. If you find a new coach next year, you have to buy Walter's buyout.
Which is why you only give him 3 years with a low buy-out. He wants to stay, he'll take it. He knows if he produces, he'll get a new one at the end of next year.

It's certainly less of a buy-out than what Nebraska had to pay us for Frost.

Good. Same reason that everyone keeps Beckton. People like him. Walters can always be a co-OC/WR coach.

I just have that gut feeling that Walters would underachieve next season if given the HC job. Reminds me of LSU and Orgeron. Players and Fans emotions are too high right now that they can't step back and be objective.

He's one of the few that have.

We really did awesome with hiring Frost. Many argued we needed change, and even I gave into that -- being an alleged 'GoL nuthugger' -- because the change was a great one. Again, even as I said "the grass always seems greener on the other side," when Frost was announced, I thought it was a great change (if we were going to make one).

Babers would not have been a great change.
I feel the same about Candle.

Do not change for change's sake. What's wrong with our program ... now? Oh, Walters isn't an established HC brand name? Sorry, he's been part of the system ... a system that works. He does the prep. He knows our system. He knows our players.

That's worth 1 more year, especially since we are so late to the coaching change party.

I'm for keeping Walters, and looking hard at Elliott. I prefer P5 coordinators, not non-AAC G5 HCs. I never knew Elliott's background.

- https://www.si.com/college-football/2017/12/04/ucf-coaching-search-troy-walters-tony-elliott

Whatever happens, I trust White to make the right decision. So when White announces it, and he's smart to make it happen in the next day or two, let's stick with it. And don't be surprised when it's Walters.

Although I fully expect to be pleasantly shocked if it's not Walters, just like with Frost.
I will fully support whom ever White hires. I really don't know who the best candidate is. The main thing is we get a guy who supports are university, we don't need another Benidict Arnold.

Reactions: Mikesi
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT