ADVERTISEMENT

Poll: who else wants all our games on Facebook?

Do you want our games on Facebook and the AAC Digital network?

• Yes

Votes: 4 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 21 70.0%
  • Idk I’m a T-shirt bandwagoner

Votes: 5 16.7%

• Total voters

UCFhonors

Todd's Tiki Bar
Feb 20, 2010
I’m hoping to hear something about our new media deal this year. I want us on Facebook and the AAC digital network. Stop feeding the ESP5N Cartel. I’m sick of them treating us like 2nd class citizens. We are better than that.

Who is with me?

Reactions: firm_bizzle
I don’t think our brand is big enough to cut away from corporate networks. I know a lot of alum that may read if we won or lost but don’t watch many games unless they just happen to be sitting by tv and catch it. If we want to grow our brand we have to attract the casual college football fan as well. The channel flippers if you will. No way we grow if it becomes subscription based only.

I don’t think our brand is big enough to cut away from corporate networks. I know a lot of alum that may read if we won or lost but don’t watch many games unless they just happen to be sitting by tv and catch it. If we want to grow our brand we have to attract the casual college football fan as well. The channel flippers if you will. No way we grow if it becomes subscription based only.

I’m saying the opposite. Facebook is UCFree. With everyone cutting the cord, we need to make our games free to watch. The only reason I pay $45 a month for YouTube TV is for our and the AAC basketball games.

Think about that. I pay more for YouTube TV than I do for my lower bowl anytime tickets. Yet UCF only gets a fraction of that.

Cut out the middle men. And pay the source - UCF.

Reactions: firm_bizzle
In an ideal world that sounds great. But I think that would hurt recruiting. Kids grew up watching ESPN and want to play on tv. I could be wrong. But I think not having our games on traditional television would be a killer. Big programs play on cable, FCS plays on streaming devices. Maybe I’m just behind the times.

I think it’s time to be innovators and the Champions of bring down the ESP5N cartel down.

If we broadcasted our own games, we could sell individual games to ESPN or CBS or Fox or who ever.

Micheal Porter, the Father of stategy, was all about the Power of the Buyer and Supplier. Strategy is all about knowing the competitive landscape, and changing the landscape to give you an advantage. When you do that, my boy Michael called that A Competive Advantage.

We a Supplier in an environment where the Buyer - the ESP5N Cartel, has all the power.

Let’s grab our balls. And take back the Power. Let’s control our own Destiny. Let’s put our UCFuture in our own hands.

The first step is controlling the broadcast of our own games. Just like the Big East did in the 1970s with the changing of times....

The Times are a Changin’ , my UCFriends. Let’s be the innovators. Let’s be the Champions of Change to a whole new UCFree World.

CUSA already does this

A Netflix deal would make more headlines and every Croot has a password

Netflix has stated they won’t do sports deals. Doesn’t make financial sense to them.

But you’re right. If we did, that would be huuuuge

Only problem I see with using apps to watch games is you are locked into that game. Even on ESPN app you have to exit out of one game and then click on another. Hitting channel up or down or typing in a number is easier. You lose the casual fans. If you think voters and committee members already don’t watch us, make them pay extra AND have to know when we are playing or they won’t watch.

Reactions: ucfversusbcs
If we broadcasted our own games, we could sell individual games to ESPN or CBS or Fox or who ever.

Don't need any of them....we already have a partnership with Spectrum

Charter Communications, Inc. is an American telecommunications and mass media company that offers its services to consumers and businesses under the branding of Spectrum. Providing services to over 26 million customers in 41 states, it is the second-largest cable operator in the United States by subscribers, just behind Comcast, and third largest pay TV operator behind Comcast and AT&T

I'd follow UCF anywhere, the total time I've watched the rest of the non-UCF AAC since the AAC was born- probably 1 hour. NFL on yahoo is way different. They already have a brand and people will follow. I think it's obviously the future, but do we have enough of a following that a move this year or next would actually mean anything? Who would follow? Would we actually gain any viewers? If I'm an average NCAA football viewer, would I actually care that social networking showed a G5 conference, or would I be a lazy ass and just follow whatever P5 team my co-workers said I should follow? Would this be like C-USA and Beos or whatever unknown network had them a few years ago? And most importantly, would there be any repercussions if the AAC did this? (of course big f-ing deal, we're already hated by the invitational etc.).

I'd follow UCF anywhere, the total time I've watched the rest of the non-UCF AAC since the AAC was born- probably 1 hour. NFL on yahoo is way different. They already have a brand and people will follow. I think it's obviously the future, but do we have enough of a following that a move this year or next would actually mean anything? Who would follow? Would we actually gain any viewers? If I'm an average NCAA football viewer, would I actually care that social networking showed a G5 conference, or would I be a lazy ass and just follow whatever P5 team my co-workers said I should follow? Would this be like C-USA and Beos or whatever unknown network had them a few years ago? And most importantly, would there be any repercussions if the AAC did this? (of course big f-ing deal, we're already hated by the invitational etc.).
The cable networks are a dying business. The quicker we move on the better. Especially if someone like Netflix, Amazon, Google are willing to pay $$$

Reactions: UCFhonors
The cable networks are a dying business. The quicker we move on the better. Especially if someone like Netflix, Amazon, Google are willing to pay $$$
Those outlets aren’t starting negotiations with us. They are starting with the P5. I don’t see those established outlets paying us. Will have to be an upstart trying to get a footprint in business. We don’t have an alumnus with a lot of money looking to get into streaming business? It’s our best shot.

Cable networks are struggling but that doesn't mean theyre dying yet. Plus we still need them more than they need us.

I doubt social media can give us more money or exposure.

Of course, even though I know a bit about business, I dont know s*** about tv contracts

Im tired of these companies trying to suck us dry with their monthly subscriptions, especially ESPN+...and their streaming isnt that reliable. Maybe youtube plus though.
I do miss ESPN and Fox Sports televising G5 games on a regular basis.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT