ADVERTISEMENT

Poll: Who is your preference for UCF Baseball Coach? ⚾

Who is your preference for UCF Baseball Coach?

• Total voters

Brandon

Publisher
Staff
May 28, 2001
Winter Park, FL
www.ucfsports.com
If you were Terry Mohajir, who would you choose as UCF's next baseball coach?

I have no idea if this is the final two, or even if UCF has made that determination, but this sounds like a fun debate that some of us have already been having in the other threads.

Joe Girardi vs. Rich Wallace?

Girardi's name is synonymous with baseball. Well-known player in his time who won three World Series Championships with the Yankees, who later managed the Bronx Bombers for a decade (2008-2017) and won another ring.

Yes, he's well established as a baseball coach. His hire would send shockwaves from coast to coast and give UCF a jolt of publicity.

But how will he translate to the college game? There aren't many examples to follow. Maybe Wichita State's Eric Wedge, who was also a former MLB manager. He had the unfortunate distinction of being hired just prior to COVID, but he struggled in the years that followed and he stepped down this past fall (the Shockers played with an interim coach this past season and just fired him too).

For Girardi, what kind of staff can he put together? College and pros are typically different pools. It was honestly very surprising to see Mike Maroth leave MiLB to come to college this past year.

Although some may argue about the nuances of coaching, what aspects to prioritize... Development is important. Obviously. But recruiting is the lifeblood of any college program, whether it's high school or transfer portal. UCF needed to hit on more guys these past few years.

How will Girardi be able to recruit? Will today's college players want to play for him? Dealing with multi-millionaire adults is a lot different than managing college kids. And those responsibilities go way beyond the baseball diamond - you're dealing with young adults on a daily basis in regards to academics, life, family drama, relationships, etc.

One thing that might be overlooked sometimes with Gus Malzahn because it was so long ago, but he was a high school teacher back in the 1990s and early 2000s. There may be subtle changes within generations, but kids are still kids which is one reason I think Gus is a phenomenal recruiter.

Despite what Girardi may say, in the back of my mind I'd be wondering if he ultimately envisions a return to MLB. How big of a concern would that be? And if that is the case, would Girardi hire a "head coach in waiting" type that could be an eventual replacement? What would his staff look like?

I'm assuming UCF will fully fund the third full-time assistant coach, which is allowable this upcoming season. For a program going into the Big 12, I'm assuming this is the case but I have yet to ask. I'll bring it up whenever the new coach is hired. That would be especially important, since the third full-time coach could also have recruiting responsibilities. Volunteer coaches CANNOT recruit.

For UCF these past few years, the only coaches that could go on the road to recruit would have been head coach Greg Lovelady, former pitching coach Nick Otte and hitting coach Ted Tom. The third assistant, Chris Cates, is considered a volunteer whose salary is funded by unofficial camps and also receives no benefits.

Personally, I view this job as one that's kind of hard to screw up assuming UCF hires a quality coach that understands the recruiting game in Florida.

Frankly, I think Lovelady might have turned things around next year. The incoming high school class was pretty good and Big 12 would have meant a better opportunity to recruit players in the portal. Most important of all, you're no longer in a one-bid league. Do well in the OOC slate and finish around .500 in the Big 12 and you're probably an NCAA Tournament team.

When I look at Rich Wallace, no, he doesn't have the national flair of a Joe Girardi. And he doesn't have the head coaching track record being an assistant. But he's highly regarded as a college coach. He's well known in Florida recruiting circles and knows how to evaluate talent. He's familiar with pretty much all levels of players and probably would have a plan to attack the portal from day one. I bet the Clemson and Wake Forest assistants would as well.

As for Rich, I've been told UCF is a true dream job of his. He grew up in Orlando, went to Bishop Moore and then played at UCF. If he were to be hired, he would be the first alumnus as a men's head coach in UCF history (non-interim). I'm aware that he's always followed UCF through the years, no matter where he was. In fact, I know he's been at a bunch of UCF football games through the years, whenever there wasn't a conflict with fall practice wherever he was coaching. I remember seeing him at the Kansas State road game in 2010. He was at the Louisville road game in 2013. I know he's been to a bunch of home games. A guy that truly bleeds Black & Gold.

At the end of the day, it's about winning and doing so consistently. Representing UCF and the program in a way that makes everybody proud.

Joe Girardi, if he's the guy, may end up being great, but there's definitely a higher risk/reward element to him. There are a lot questions too. The initial buzz and winning the press conference fades after a few days. After that, it's about recruiting and results.

Joe Girardi, if he's winning, would be a household name as coach. I know college baseball gets little national attention until NCAA Regional play and the College World Series, but having a name like that would be fantastic marketing for your program - as long as they're winning at a high level. If Girardi starts to struggle, I think that would foster more negativity. Questioning whether he's another Isaiah Thomas or Clyde Drexler. Sort of boom or bust?

Girardi could have the biggest upside of any of these candidates, but also the biggest risk. Which also includes the possibility he makes a sudden bolt back to MLB.

As someone who has covered baseball for more than 20 years now, I'm fascinated to see how this plays out. I don't think I've ever publicly said this, but baseball really has been a drag. The initial buzz of a promising non-conference schedule, only to fall flat in conference. Year after year after year.

Personally, I liked Terry Rooney. I know that sentiment was not widely shared by most and recognized he went out of his way to cater to me (and all media really). But those later years were rough. I was fine with Greg Lovelady too.

As someone who has spent countless hours at UCF Baseball through the years, I'd love nothing more for the program to be fun and competitive again. As a semi-biased UCF media person, that's all I want.

So if it's a Girardi vs. an experienced assistant such as a Rich Wallace, which direction would you go?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News