ADVERTISEMENT

"Projected" Opening Day Spring Depth Chart

AuburnLegacy_1

Silver Knight
Feb 4, 2022
NOTE: Returning starters are bolded and letterwinners starred. ... Only players on scholarship are included. ... Walk-ons, including letterwinner Stephen Martin, are excluded.

OFFENSE

X WR
Kobi Hudson*

Chauncey Magwood
Bredell Richardson

Z WR
Trent Whittemore*
Tyree Patterson
Goldie Lawrence
Kason Stokes

Slot WR
Xavier Townsend*

Jarrad Baker Jr.*
Jordyn Bridgewater

TE
Randy Pittman*
Evan Morris
Kylan Fox
Jordan Davis
Grant Stevens

QB
KJ Jefferson
Timmy McClain
Dylan Rizk
Riley Trujillo

RB
RJ Harvey*

Johnny Richardson*
Myles Montgomery

LT
Amari Knight*

Paul Rubelt*
Patrick Barnett

LG
Adrian Medley

Cameron Kinnie

C
Caden Kitler

Jabari Brooks (or RG)
Waitclaire Flynn Jr.

RG
Marcellus Marshall*

Jabari Brooks (or C)
Johnathan Cline

RT
Paul Rubelt*
Wes Dorsey
Keyon Cox

DEFENSE

DE
Malachi Lawrence*
Kaven Call*
Jamaal Johnson

Buck
Isaiah Nixon
Troy Ford Jr. (or MLB)
Daylan Dotson
Zavier Carter

DT
Ricky Barber*
John Walker*

Derrick LeBlanc

DT
Lee Hunter"

Matthew Alexander*
Andrew Rumph
Marcus Downs

MLB
Kam Moore*
Rian Davis
Troy Ford Jr. (or Buck)
Ethan Barr
Jesiah Pierre

WLB
Andrew Harris*
Deshawn Pace (or Star)
TJ Bullard
Xe'ree Alexander
Derrick McCormick

Star
Ladarius Tennison
Deshawn Pace (or WLB)
Christian Peterson

CB
Braeden Marshall*

Antione Jackson
Chasen Johnson

CB
Brandon Adams*

Ja'Cari Henderson
Jason Duclona
Ja'Maric Morris

SS
Demari Henderson*
Quadric Bullard*

Bryon Threats
Jakob Guds

FS
Nikai Martinez*

William Wells*

SPECIAL TEAMS

P
Mitch McCarthy*

K
Colton Boomer*

Grant Reddick

LS
Gage King*

NOTES: This is for spring practices only. ... I anticipate that exiting spring, Kobi will move back to Z and Richardson and Patterson will occupy the X position. ... Braeden Marshall will be moved from nickel to his more natural position at corner. The move will be permanent. ... UCF would benefit from another SDE. ... The offensive line is very thin. Fortunately, Herb Hand plays a limited number of guys.

Last edited:
Assuming this is true, we have a major fail at OL….. if we have any injuries they will be pulling fat guys from the stands.

No EJ Colson? He is more likely to get PT than Williams.

Is Richardson coming back? Haven’t seen anything on that

Assuming this is true, we have a major fail at OL….. if we have any injuries they will be pulling fat guys from the stands.

Malzahn has signed a total of 5 high school OL in three full classes. Programs usually sign 5 high school OL every class. Huge fail. Zero development there.

it's for the players who are here in the spring.

Reactions: AuburnLegacy_1

Colson is not an early enrollee.

I included a depth chart for spring practices only. A couple of impact freshmen, including Qua Birdsong, Jaylen Hayward, and Colson, will join the team later this summer.
Programs usually sign 5 high school OL every class.

Admittedly, I thought so too, but it's not true.

Since the transfer portal opened, most programs have signed an average of 7-8 offensive linemen, per three-year cycle.

(And yes, I actually counted a few random programs, including post-Gus Auburn, and took the average. Miami, under Christolowertierbowl, signed 10 during that period, which is high but understandable considering the head coach is a former offensive lineman.)

Last edited:
Colson is not an early enrollee.

I included a depth chart for spring practices only. A couple of impact freshmen, including Qua Birdsong, Jaylen Hayward, and Colson, will join the team later this summer.

Admittedly, I thought so too, but it's not true.

Since the transfer portal opened, most programs have signed an average of 7-8 offensive linemen, per three-year cycle.

(And yes, I actually counted a few random programs, including post-Gus Auburn, and took the average. Miami, under Christolowertierbowl, signed 10 during that period, which is high but understandable considering the head coach is a former offensive lineman.)
I don’t even know what to tell you since you keep digging for silly excuses to defend Malzahn. UCF’s OL is its biggest and most obvious weakness. Anyone who knows ball can see that.

Going into year four and there’s not one Hand guy that will be starting. There’s not one single guy that’s good and there’s little zero depth. It’s a huge failure my man.

Last edited:
Great list. Thanks for putting this together. My limited comments: Xavier Williams came as a PWO and is not on scholarship. Troy Ford is a LB, not a DE/Buck.
Thanks for the note. You are not the first person to indicate that. I have never seen a published report listing him as a PWO, but I will take him off this list.

Ford signed as a linebacker, but there has been much speculation as to whether he would play with his hand down or off the ball at UCF.

As a senior, he played MLB where he struggled to diagnose run or pass fast enough. As a junior, he was an edge defender and occasional stand-up linebacker. He has shown to be effective off the edge as a blitzer.

Based on his current skill set and UCF roster needs, I expect him to start out as a edge defender.

I don’t even know what to tell you since you keep digging for silly excuses to defend Malzahn. UCF’s OL is its biggest and most obvious weakness. Anyone who knows ball can see that.

Going into year four and there’s not one Hand guy that will be starting. There’s not one single guy that’s good and there’s little zero depth. It’s a huge failure my man.
I don't understand why you cannot see the obvious.

1, Herb Hand is not a great high school recruiter of offensive linemen.

2, Gus Malzahn is not a great evaluator or recruiter of high school offensive tackles.

3, UCF isn't a wealthy enough or an established enough P5 program to compete at the highest for the biggest names on offensive line.

But the transfer portal negates a lot, if not most, of that.

1, Hand is one of the best evaluators and recruiters of transfer portal linemen in all of CFB.

2, Malzahn is a good enough coach to make this offense work with a patchwork offensive line.

3, UCF isn't getting any poorer.

Would I have like to have seen UCF get more guys in the last three classes? Of course.

Leyton Nelson was committed to UCF up until the last minute and signed with Vanderbilt. Jamal Meriweather was a Knight until Georgia stole him away at the last minute. Miguel Maldonado left the program after qualifying late and signing as a PWO. That's three guys who could have made an impact from the high school ranks.

Homegrown UCF signee Caden Kitler started at center last season. Johnathan Cline and Keyon Cox redshirted. I have no idea how these guys looked during spring practice. Neither do you.

A lot of transfer guys UCF chased signed elsewhere while UCF has locking up its own guys with NIL.

Omarrian Aigbedion signed with Baylor. He was the biggest loss. UCF scrambled to try to get Richie Leonard IV as a backup option, but he went to FSU. UCF didn't reach for Kamaar Bell (but should have), and he went to South Carolina.

So yes, UCF missed on an impact guard in this portal cycle.

Last edited:
Looks like Rubelt will play some. I hope he can be serviceable. Good guy. Just didn’t grow up playing football.

Looks like Rubelt will play some. I hope he can be serviceable. Good guy. Just didn’t grow up playing football.
I agree. He can compete for a starting spot. Hand bragged about his development the most of all the linemen during fall camp last season.

Plus, UCF has a lot of walk ons in the program and has a great track record of developing those guys into starters.

Last edited:
Reactions: BlakNGoldAllDay
I agree. He can compete for a starting spot. Hand bragged about his development the most of all the linemen during fall camp last season.

Plus, UCF has a lot of walk ons in the program and has a great track record of developing those guys into starters.
Lmao. This is in insane…just making stuff up at will. That dude will never play significant snaps anywhere. Have you seen his footwork? He absolutely can’t move well at all. He would be humiliated in every passing play.

Dude wrote a book to only prove my point.

Last edited:
Dude wrote a book to only prove my point.
Since I "wrote a book," I decided to go back to the first practice report of 2023 and list the offensive depth chart. The players in bold return for 2024. I linked the article I pulled this from as well. No need to panic.

Day 1 depth chart (from opening day of Spring 2023):

First Team: QB John Rhys Plumlee, RB R.J. Harvey, WR Javon Baker, WR Kobe Hudson, WR Xavier Townsend, TE Alec Holler, LT Paul Rubelt, LG Cam Kinnie, C Lokahi Pauole, RG John Harris and RT Ed Collins.

Second Team: QB Thomas Castellanos, RB Johnny Richardson, WR Chauncey Magwood, WR Trent Whittemore, WR Jaylon Griffin, TE Max Holler, LT Marcellus Marshall, LG Ethan Mort, C Caden Kitler, RG Chidoziri Maghiro and RT Amari Kight.

Third Team: QB Timmy McClain, RB Jordan McDonald, WR Jarrad Baker, WR Dionte Marks, WR Tyler Griffin, TE Grant Stevens, LT Keyon Cox, LG Johnathan Cline, C Bula Schmidt, RG Shaheem Hill and RT Miguel Maldonado.

Since I "wrote a book," I decided to go back to the first practice report of 2023 and list the offensive depth chart. The players in bold return for 2024. I linked the article I pulled this from as well. No need to panic.

First Team: QB John Rhys Plumlee, RB R.J. Harvey, WR Javon Baker, WR Kobe Hudson, WR Xavier Townsend, TE Alec Holler, LT Paul Rubelt, LG Cam Kinnie, C Lokahi Pauole, RG John Harris and RT Ed Collins.

Second Team: QB Thomas Castellanos, RB Johnny Richardson, WR Chauncey Magwood, WR Trent Whittemore, WR Jaylon Griffin, TE Max Holler, LT Marcellus Marshall, LG Ethan Mort, C Caden Kitler, RG Chidoziri Maghiro and RT Amari Kight.

Third Team: QB Timmy McClain, RB Jordan McDonald, WR Jarrad Baker, WR Dionte Marks, WR Tyler Griffin, TE Grant Stevens, LT Keyon Cox, LG Johnathan Cline, C Bula Schmidt, RG Shaheem Hill and RT Miguel Maldonado.

What about all this dummy? Your boy Gus went 6-7…55 FG away from going 5-8.

When will UCF announce it's spring roster?

Most teams are already publishing rosters. Last year, UCF waited until spring break. Anyone have any guesses?

Lmao. Rubelt will NEVER start any games anywhere. Have you seen his lateral movement? Have you seen his footwork? He is also a stiff that has no “bend”.

Other than a snap here and there in obvious running situations around the goal line the man will NEVER see the field. You have to be, literally, a dummy to peg Rubelt as a starter.

When will UCF announce it's spring roster?

Most teams are already publishing rosters. Last year, UCF waited until spring break. Anyone have any guesses?

The people that post here (specially you) won’t even spend a couple of dollars a month to subscribe to the Dungeon. What makes you think anyone that posts in the freebie forums (other than me) knows anything?

You are a low level information scavenger. DELETE YOUR ACCOUNT!

The people that post here (specially you) won’t even spend a couple of dollars a month to subscribe to the Dungeon. What makes you think anyone that posts in the freebie forums (other than me) knows anything?

Hey I know what I’m talking about. Talk to me bitch!! But stop trashing our school! That’s why we hate you. If you have something constructive to say then great, like the post about Malik. Solid info. Why keep degrading a school that’s been P4 for a year?!? I really don’t get it!!

Lmao. Rubelt will NEVER start any games anywhere. Have you seen his lateral movement? Have you seen his footwork? He is also a stiff that has no “bend”.

Other than a snap here and there in obvious running situations around the goal line the man will NEVER see the field. You have to be, literally, a dummy to peg Rubelt as a starter.
No, 1, you are very illiterate and highly unintelligent.

I never said Paul Rupelt would start any games. I said he would be the starter on Day 1 of spring practice. In other words, he will go with the ones on the "Opening Day" of spring practice.

Gus, historically, gives the starting nod to returning upperclassmen when he releases his depth charts and opens camp.

But back to the point at hand....

How can you read the thread headline

"Projected" Opening Day Spring Depth Chart​

and misconstrue that into Paul Rupelt being a regular starter in the fall?

No sane human being would draw the conclusion that because Rupelt took reps with the first team on the opening day of spring practice, then he must be a 15- or 16-game starter for UCF during its deep CFP run in 2024.

rick james cocaine GIF

No. 2, You, yourself, do not belong to the Dungeon. You pay an extra $7 on your sorry u account to steal intellectual property rights from behind paywalls of other team sites and post the information as your own.

You are a real piece of work.

Last edited:
There is so much depth at safety, I think they will move Nikai Martinez back to corner. He had a great year at strong safety, but he's a plug and play guy that has played corner/nickel before. The depth at safety is insane (Pace, Threats, Tennison, Bullard, Henderson, Martinez).

And there's A LOT of inexperience at corner. It would be wise to move a couple of those guys to the outside during the spring to see what you have. I wouldn't move D. Henderson, he was incredible at free safety the last half of last season. Martinez starting at corner would make some sense.

No, 1, you are very illiterate and highly unintelligent.

I never said Paul Rupelt would start any games. I said he would be the starter on Day 1 of spring practice. In other words, he will go with the ones on the "Opening Day" of spring practice.

Gus, historically, gives the starting nod to returning upperclassmen when he releases his depth charts and opens camp.

But back to the point at hand....

How can you read the thread headline

"Projected" Opening Day Spring Depth Chart​

and misconstrue that into Paul Rupelt being a regular starter in the fall?

No sane human being would draw the conclusion that because Rupelt took reps with the first team on the opening day of spring practice, then he must be a 15- or 16-game starter for UCF during its deep CFP run in 2024.

rick james cocaine GIF

No. 2, You, yourself, do not belong to the Dungeon. You pay an extra $7 on your sorry u account to steal intellectual property rights from behind paywalls of other team sites and post the information as your own.

You are a real piece of work.
Lmao. What a snowflake. Name an instance where I have done that? Just one??

There is so much depth at safety, I think they will move Nikai Martinez back to corner. He had a great year at strong safety, but he's a plug and play guy that has played corner/nickel before. The depth at safety is insane (Pace, Threats, Tennison, Bullard, Henderson, Martinez).

And there's A LOT of inexperience at corner. It would be wise to move a couple of those guys to the outside during the spring to see what you have. I wouldn't move D. Henderson, he was incredible at free safety the last half of last season. Martinez starting at corner would make some sense.
I had not considered moving Martinez.

Marshall will definitely be moving to corner and I see no reason Martinez can't.

If UCF puts Marshall and Martinez at the corners and spot plays Jackson, Adams, and J. Henderson as reserves, the Knights will field one of the better corner groups in the Big 12.

UCF can round out the starting with D. Pace at WLB, Tennison at Star, Threat at SS, and rotate D. Henderson/Bullard at free and have one of the more experienced secondaries in the league as well.

I mostly want to see how the LB group shakes out, seems like there’s a really versatile set of players. Overall the defense is returning a ton of production, really looking forward to seeing them take the next step.

Reactions: tjb74
I mostly want to see how the LB group shakes out, seems like there’s a really versatile set of players. Overall the defense is returning a ton of production, really looking forward to seeing them take the next step.
The LB corps and OL are potential concerns.

Reactions: Robert0122
LB is a concern, OL is a huge concern, DE is a concern and WR is a concern.

The biggest problem is OL. UCF doesn’t even have enough viable bodies for even a patchwork OL. Blame Malzon as he has recruited a total of five high school OL in three full classes.

WR info. A shallow dive (no troll).

UCF is in big need of a veteran/proven WR for this season. The program made a significant monetary investment in KJ Jefferson and it’s only reasonable that they want to maximize his one year at the school.

Hudson is a very good WR…no doubt. However with Baker gone, Hudson will face the opposing team’s best corner and the safeties will be wary of him.

UCF has a former RB (Townsend) playing slot WR and he is a below average player.

Trent Whittemore was listed as a starter in the first Spring practice but that doesn’t mean anything. The young man is not a P4 starter anywhere.

UCF will go hard after a proven veteran WR during the Spring portal window. Here are some positives and negatives that will affect the schools ability to land such a player.

Cons:

1. The Spring portal window doesn’t deliver nearly as many players as the previous December date. Also, many teams will be looking to add a top WR.

2. Tim Harris has no experience coaching the position.

Pros:

1. Baker and Hudson put up very good numbers last year playing with a mediocre QB.

2. KJ Jefferson did not have a very good 2023 season but he’s a proven commodity and veteran WRs will want to play with him.

3. The Big 12 is a conference geared towards offense. There are not many, if any, top defenses in the league.

4. UCF agreed with Baker on $350,000 for 2024. The football program has the NIL resources to land a top guy.

Thoughts?

Let me clarify what I wrote to address any misconceptions.

LB is an "unknown" concern, meaning UCF has no guarantees about the quality of transfers it brought in until they hit the field. The guys on the roster now could be profoundly better (or worse) than the FCS and D2 transfers that manned the positions last season.

OL is a "future" concern, meaning UCF has little proven depth behind the 3 projected starters and a rash of injures could along the front could derail the season. The OL will be an "immediate" concern in 2025, and the Knights will likely need to hit the juco ranks and transfer portal to piece together an effective front in 2025.

WR may or may not be a need depending on how Tyree Patterson and Bredell Richardson perform this spring. Patterson was regarded as the top redshirt last season, and Richardson impressed Day 1. Trent Whittemore is a depth piece only.

UCF will be EXTREMELY selective about adding transfers in the spring portal and will likely only add guys who will project as immediate contributions.

Let me clarify what I wrote to address any misconceptions.

LB is an "unknown" concern, meaning UCF has no guarantees about the quality of transfers it brought in until they hit the field. The guys on the roster now could be profoundly better (or worse) than the FCS and D2 transfers that manned the positions last season.

OL is a "future" concern, meaning UCF has little proven depth behind the 3 projected starters and a rash of injures could along the front could derail the season. The OL will be an "immediate" concern in 2025, and the Knights will likely need to hit the juco ranks and transfer portal to piece together an effective front in 2025.

WR may or may not be a need depending on how Tyree Patterson and Bredell Richardson perform this spring. Patterson was regarded as the top redshirt last season, and Richardson impressed Day 1. Trent Whittemore is a depth piece only.

UCF will be EXTREMELY selective about adding transfers in the spring portal and will likely only add guys who will project as immediate contributions.
You have no idea what Gus Malzon is going to do in the transfer portal…literally NO idea. Just zip it already.

Guys, I really have no idea what Gus Malzahn is going to do in the Spring portal. He has done such a fantastic job of building up the UCF roster that he really doesn't have to rely on last-minute spring transfers--unlike the u, or Gaytors, or Free Shoes u.

I read a report just today that a certain program in the southern part of Florida is in the market for a transfer RB (maybe Demarkcus Bowman?) despite having the best running back room in the state. This same program, despite also having the best WR room in Florida, is in DESPERATE need of a transfer WR due to its best receiver deciding to be a depth piece at a non-2023 CFP contending program in Athens, Ga. (UCF's best WR, meanwhile, is dominating the headlines of the NFL Draft just like he dominated at the NFL combine.)

Cracking Up Lol GIF

I can only assume that UCF will entertain only the most ELITE transfers that CFB has to offer and will be incredibly selective about offers. It is possible that UCF could offer a big fast X receiver, or an interior offensive lineman, or a pass-rushing defensive tackle. It will be interesting to see.

Last edited:
Guys, I really have no idea what Gus Malzahn is going to do in the Spring portal. He has done such a fantastic job of building up the UCF roster that he really doesn't have to rely on last-minute spring transfers--unlike the u, or Gaytors, or Free Shoes u.

I read a report just today that a certain program in the southern part of Florida is in the market for a transfer RB (maybe Demarkcus Bowman?) despite having the best running back room in the state. This same program, despite also having the best WR room in Florida, is in DESPERATE need of a transfer WR due to its best receiver deciding to be a depth piece at a non-2023 CFP contending program in Athens, Ga. (UCF's best WR, meanwhile, is dominating the headlines of the NFL Draft just like he dominated at the NFL combine.)

Cracking Up Lol GIF

I can only assume that UCF will entertain only the most ELITE transfers that CFB has to offer and will be incredibly selective about offers. It is possible that UCF could offer a big fast X receiver, or an interior offensive lineman, or a pass-rushing defensive tackle. It will be interesting to see.
Lol. This goofy did not even read the article. Yeah “UCF will entertain the most elite options”. Malzon filled his struggle bus with an army of 3* transfers…none above a 3*. Welp.

A Star is Born

BREDELL RICHARDSON | WR | UCF

12329202.jpg

UCF freshman wide receiver Bredell Richardson turned heads on Day 1 of spring camp this week. There is already buzz around Orlando that the rising star could move into an immediate starting role if he continues to trend upward. Gus Malzahn raved about the 6-foot-1, 180-pound Tampa native in December. Javon Baker, the Big 12 leading receiver in 2023, is preparing for the NFL Draft. And although Kobe Hudson is back for UCF, there is an opening on the other side for Richardson to grab hold of.

Last edited:
Reactions: tjb74
I noticed our QB recruiting is slowly moving back eastward. We had 2 Hawaii QBs, then 2 Arizona QBs, now 2 Mississippi QBs

Reactions: AuburnLegacy_1
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT