ADVERTISEMENT

QB Commit for 2019

If we get a guy like Brock Purdy, don’t you think that Mack is going to consider transferring?

If we get a guy like Brock Purdy, don’t you think that Mack is going to consider transferring?

Huh?

QB's will have competition wherever they go...and may the best person win the job.

Whoever is the #2 QB, will always be just one play away from being full-time starter. (Let alone put in if #1 has poor play)

#3 QB is just 2 plays away from being full-time starter...and or you win the job in practice (like Milton did as a true Freshmen).

Heck, Maryland was down to their #3 QB last September during the UCF game

Teams will continue to sign 1-2 QB's every and you never want to have any QB (or other position player) who is afraid of potential competition.

#3 QB is just 2 plays away from being full-time starter...and or you win the job in practice (like Milton did as a true Freshmen).

Heck, Maryland was down to their #3 QB last September during the UCF game
Huh?? These are very very rare scenarios. Basically, that’s why teams don’t have a bunch of top QBs on their rosters. Especially G5 schools. Especially within the same 1-2 years. They aren’t going to UCF to sit on the bench. They are coming here for PT.

Most QBs know that they can’t get anywhere in their careers riding the pine for 4 years. Mack will already be doing that for 2 years. By that time Purdy will be a freshman or sophomore. Mack gets beat out, he very well will be gone. He may see the writing on the wall earlier. Happens all the time. You can’t count on an injury or multiple injuries to happen.

That’s why we are having so much trouble getting running backs. You can’t say that it’s not something Mack wouldn’t consider.

Competition?? Meh. Take the path of least resistance. You only get one college career. I’m talking about 2-3 star guys especially

Last edited:
FSU presently has 0 QB recruits for 2018. That may change, but if a top QB recruit goes there, he’s not seeing the field for a long time

Mack redshirted last year. Milton will be a JR. If I was Mack I would stay learn the system as best as I can as second string and then start my JR/SR years after Milton leaves.

You know, the way these things are supposed to happen. Grow in your younger years and get two solid years as a starter later.

Reactions: thelandman19
Mack redshirted last year. Milton will be a JR. If I was Mack I would stay learn the system as best as I can as second string and then start my JR/SR years after Milton leaves.

You know, the way these things are supposed to happen. Grow in your younger years and get two solid years as a starter later.
FSU had 20 years of doing just that, and those were their glory years..

I agree. Purdy and Mack are not coming or staying to sit.

I'd guess it's far more rare for a QB the size of Milton and the style he plays (running and getting hit) to stay healthy the entire season. What's Mack's choices? Transfer after Feb signing day when most every other team has their QB choice, and those who don't probably aren't the teams you want to go to. Or, transfer after next season and have to sit out or disappear in FCS? Or, stay, have a good chance of starting a game or two during Milton's run due to injuries and be gifted a talented team to run in a few years? If we can continue to stock the clown car, he'll have enormous opportunities to show off his talents, just like Milton has done throwing to a multitude of players. Or, he can go to E. Mich. or the like and have, if lucky, 1 talented WR. I guess he could go to U of Lincoln and sit with the other ex-teammate.

Purdy's has more choices, but is sitting wherever he goes. If 247 is accurate (it isn't in UCF's case- 7QBs?), Alabama he'll have to beat out the "star" of their Bowl win, the starter of the season, and the 1 or 2 4 star QBs they sign next year. Iowa St has 4 3 star QBs 1 signed in Dec. and, it's Iowa St.- there's a lot of celebrating there when they win their usual 3 games a year (this year was a rarity). Or he could go to UCF, sit like everywhere, and in 2 years have to compete v Mack.

But, not many players are realistic I guess. A chance to go to Alabama and sit 4 years must somehow be attractive. Of course it's that kind of thinking that makes the transfer market so exciting.

Reactions: Mikesi
This guy was the top qb target? Wonder if we add another
We have both a 4-star QB recruit and another from Michigan we're talking to for 2019 class.
You can find them on UCF twitters...

Typically, you recruit the best you can get and some wind up later to be lower on the list of oral commitments. Some of these will de-commit.

I like the aggressiveness of our staff for 2019, the recruiting game has changed with early signing period. Frost is doing same thing at Nebraska (focusing on 2019).

Really? If 4000 passing yard seasons are in his future here, he'll stay.
Only one can play for the next 2 years barring injury. That’s Milton. The most Mack can play is 2 years if he doesn’t get beat out by a stellar QB recruit. Not just an OK QB recruit

Reactions: firm_bizzle
Only one can play for the next 2 years barring injury. That’s Milton. The most Mack can play is 2 years if he doesn’t get beat out by a stellar QB recruit. Not just an OK QB recruit
The point is that somebody is throwing for 4000 yards/year. Why not stand in line and wait for that?

The point is that somebody is throwing for 4000 yards/year. Why not stand in line and wait for that?
It’s G5. Why POSSIBLY do that for 1-2 years
All this is hypothetical. 4,000 yards is as well. All I’m saying that if Mack sees that there is a chance that he may be wasting his time, he could transfer. Nothing more. Nothing less.

Because Mack is not his (Heupel) guy. More often than not coaches favor their recruits over guys that were previously in there. Before Mack sees the field Heupel can be putting everything behind Purdy.

Reactions: Mikesi
Because Mack is not his (Heupel) guy. More often than not coaches favor their recruits over guys that were previously in there. Before Mack sees the field Heupel can be putting everything behind Purdy.
Then Milton isn't his guy either and we have more issues than we think.

#rexgrossmanproblems

Reactions: Stormthecourt?
Maybe he should ask Heupel Whats up

We have both a 4-star QB recruit and another from Michigan we're talking to for 2019 class.
You can find them on UCF twitters...

Typically, you recruit the best you can get and some wind up later to be lower on the list of oral commitments. Some of these will de-commit.

I like the aggressiveness of our staff for 2019, the recruiting game has changed with early signing period. Frost is doing same thing at Nebraska (focusing on 2019).

which twitters do you follow? I've got https://twitter.com/UCF_Football?re.../12/20/otownbound18-National-Signing-Day.aspx UCF_Football Are there better?

What’s wrong with Pro? Culpepper and Bortles were. They made NFL. Landry Jones was too. He did ok.
I don’t think anything is wrong with Pro, but he’s a Milton guy. At this point, we all are. Dual threats are more exciting and have worked well for us so far. We have had Milton
Godfrey was a dual threat, but in the end the offense wasn’t built for him and he was only an average passer.

Dual threats bring you more success at the college football level, but pro style QBs are more suited for NFL success

By the way, Culpepper and Bortles weren’t bad runners. If they weren’t, they wouldn’t have been nearly as successful in college

Additionally, Milton has some really impressive rushing stats in 2017. It’s not talked about enough
I’m hoping that he’s not a Frost system guy.

Last edited:
Reactions: Knight_Light
I don’t think anything is wrong with Pro, but he’s a Milton guy. At this point, we all are. Dual threats are more exciting and have worked well for us so far. We have had Milton
Godfrey was a dual threat, but in the end the offense wasn’t built for him and he was only an average passer.

Dual threats bring you more success at the college football level, but pro style QBs are more suited for NFL success

By the way, Culpepper and Bortles weren’t bad runners. If they weren’t, they wouldn’t have been nearly as successful in college

Additionally, Milton has some really impressive rushing stats in 2017. It’s not talked about enough
I’m hoping that he’s not a Frost system guy.
I’m saying Pro doesn’t mean you can’t run. But typically DT means you aren’t a great passer. I want a guy that puts ball where it needs to be and can run. Not a run first guy.

I’m saying Pro doesn’t mean you can’t run. But typically DT means you aren’t a great passer. I want a guy that puts ball where it needs to be and can run. Not a run first guy.
Don’t you think Milton can do both?

Flowers and Greg Ward Jr were dual threats and in the end, both could pass the ball at the college level. Vince Young as well

Last year Milton wasn’t very accurate. Godfrey wasn’t really accurate. Guys who mostly run are easier to stop. Milton being a better passer this year was a game changer. I’m not in charge of labeling Pro or Dual. Not sure if the services do the labeling or not.

Lol, he isn't going to run off Milton, but to say he won't be more likely to try to utilize a new recruit like Purdy over Mack who hasn't established himself as anything definently would not be a surprise.

Flowers spent 3/4 of his senior season playing a different game plan that didn't suit his style because of a new coaching staff.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT