ADVERTISEMENT

Question: Could we get creative here and convert some big ole offensive lineman to stop the run on defense?

I'm sure this has been done before. Not rocket science. Do some mixing matching strategy?

Thoughts? :cool:
Not a bad idea, but remember Addison Williams created an "attacking style" (penetrate and make plays in the backfield) defensive front whereas TWill "built a wall" (read and react) with his defensive front.

In TWill's scheme, you can build a wall with any fat tub of lard. Not sure how much traction a converted offensive lineman would get in AWill's attacking style front, though.

Not a bad idea, but remember Addison Williams created an "attacking style" (penetrate and make plays in the backfield) defensive front whereas TWill "built a wall" (read and react) with his defensive front.

In TWill's scheme, you can build a wall with any fat tub of lard. Not sure how much traction a converted offensive lineman would get in AWill's attacking style front, though.
Ok, cool. But to my question. Can we get some motor skilled offensive lineman (even if young) and try to stop the run? My gosh, anything has to be better that the hot butter offense we have. :)

I'm sure this has been done before. Not rocket science. Do some mixing matching strategy?

Thoughts? :cool:
You may be able to do that between seasons but you aren't switching players form offense-to-defense (or vice-versa) mid-season. We have enough problems.

Gus's first recruiting class is 2022. 2022 class only had 14 commits. Class of 2023 only had 15 commits. Class of 2024 (so far) has 18 (and we should get a a few more). I like that trend and the Big 12 patch on our jersey matters to recruits. Even with the 2017-2018 teams, we would get shunned in the pecking order of recruits, often getting out-recruited by teams like Vandy, Rutgers, or Illinois (as examples). It's just the way it is for recruiting. We have been too reliant on the transfer portal the last few seasons. His relationships with recruiting FL and Georgia has gotten better.

We've basically had a rotating door at QB starting with the 2021 season. We need to find a guy that plays 2-3 seasons (even if he's not Montana....haha). This way we have continuity and leadership that intimately knows the system, players, etc...

I'm not making excuses. We look really bad on defense, especially against the run. Most times success comes from working through problems, though, and not trying to work around them (meaning they are still there).

This program has a plan. Let's see how that plan gets executed for the next couple of seasons. If it doesn't go well you move on.

Last edited:
Reactions: hendu1976fl

Well how is that attacking style working for us?

Ah GOL! Nuthugger here! Remember winning football. Boring on offense, but the D played lights out. Maybe we get to that point under Malzhan, but I think it will take a year or two more before we are playing a lot of studs on D. And that is if they don't transfer to get bigger paydays in the Big 10 or SEC We have to keep bringing in 2-4 guys each year who can honestly compete on the DL and 2-3 LBs. Some of the guys are likely to transfer for various reasons, so we have to keep hitting those spots hard. Also, the OL, we have to get better there. When I have watched, work on Saturday, we are inconsistent on the OL. Over the next couple of years, I think this will get fixed. Most of the years Gus has run a good program wherever he has been. It is going to take some time to adjust to everybody being capable of beating us. In CUSA and the AAC, most weeks we were just more talented than the opposition. I believe that will come, but it will take at least 3 full recruiting cycles in the Big 12. So far, we have one season. I think this and next year will be rough. Next year we will be breaking in a new QB, most likely, or Timmy will have part of a season under his belt. In 2025, we will have mostly a Big 12 roster and likely a QB with some experience. At that point, I expect us to really take off. But only if we have a DC who figures out a way to stop the run.

Ah GOL! Nuthugger here! Remember winning football. Boring on offense, but the D played lights out. Maybe we get to that point under Malzhan, but I think it will take a year or two more before we are playing a lot of studs on D. And that is if they don't transfer to get bigger paydays in the Big 10 or SEC We have to keep bringing in 2-4 guys each year who can honestly compete on the DL and 2-3 LBs. Some of the guys are likely to transfer for various reasons, so we have to keep hitting those spots hard. Also, the OL, we have to get better there. When I have watched, work on Saturday, we are inconsistent on the OL. Over the next couple of years, I think this will get fixed. Most of the years Gus has run a good program wherever he has been. It is going to take some time to adjust to everybody being capable of beating us. In CUSA and the AAC, most weeks we were just more talented than the opposition. I believe that will come, but it will take at least 3 full recruiting cycles in the Big 12. So far, we have one season. I think this and next year will be rough. Next year we will be breaking in a new QB, most likely, or Timmy will have part of a season under his belt. In 2025, we will have mostly a Big 12 roster and likely a QB with some experience. At that point, I expect us to really take off. But only if we have a DC who figures out a way to stop the run.
Sure hope you are right but I am not yet convinced.

How did you read that without paragraphs?

That sorta post is an instant turnoff.

(soy poster snob)
It was a collosal pain in the tuchus but curiosity just got the better of me. I think it was because it started with GOL. :)

Gol did have good defenses compared to randy Shannon give me 700 yards to give up

Timmy flipping out running backwards, giving up tens of yards....ANY of our good qbs NEVER did that crazy sh...stuff. plumlee does it too. No qb sense.

I was fooled by Plumlee. Mikey's accuracy and his knowledge is better. Mikey just couldn't scramble (which was why I wasn't that high on him). But, looking back, he would have been a better QB to have this year out of all of them. Thoughts?

If we had the correct discipline to run some trick/dual qb sort of plays with Mikey at the helm, might have worked. But gus made a deal with JRP regardless if JRP would suck or not (did he have photos of gus or something :cool: )

I was fooled by Plumlee. Mikey's accuracy and his knowledge is better. Mikey just couldn't scramble (which was why I wasn't that high on him). But, looking back, he would have been a better QB to have this year out of all of them. Thoughts?
Mikey is a winner and Gus should have been a good enough coach to make it work. He did for the UF game. Gus's best win at UCF.

none of it matters when the D is giving up 300-400 yds rushing a game.

Lamo. People believe anything this shill says? What experience does Addison Williams have building a defense? I’ll wait.

It looked much better against OU. Not great. Not lights out. But an improvement. Keep building up the trenches in recruiting and it will show off. I think a lot about what Miami was back in any of their great years. So dominant on the DLine. Tough to run against, and honestly, they could usually get home in the pass rush just rushing 4. If we can get the two deep on the DLine somewhat close to that, and I believe we will in 2 more recruiting classes, I think the D will be fine. I thought the LOS is where we would struggle as we moved up. So far that has been the case. Next year will be better, and then after that, look out; assuming we can hold on to our recruits. Got to win the recruiting battles for the big ugly's. Skill position players are a dime a dozen in this state, but got to get the big boys up front to hold up and get after the QB. Also need some guys who can open some holes for the RB's. It will come.

Enjoy the ride. Tomorrow will be a better day. This isn't a sprint. Its a marathon. To get to the level Miami wants to get back to, where Florida still thinks they are and FSU currently is, will take time. Our roster isn't on that level. A few players might be. Most aren't. Enjoy the kids while they are here. Enjoy the games, wins and losses. Don't let it determine your happiness. Go Knights!

Reactions: Davie_Knight
So I guess we can't get creative and get some bigger better Athletes on defense? Still warm butter, hot Knife defense. Ugh! Will it change for next year?

I've been a fan for a long time and have read this board for years but have never posted. Over the past 20 years, I felt a sense of urgency that we couldn't lose a game or we'd be left out in the cold. Through a lot of hard work, great leadership and a bit of luck here and there, we thankfully made it to the elite level. I know we are going to be very successful in the years to come. We just need to have a little patience because we are just not quite on the same level as the historic Big 12 teams.

We have very good athletes and I don't want to disparage any of them. They are kids who work hard and are getting better each day. The issue I see is that we are not quite on the same level from a physical standpoint just yet. The other legacy P5 teams are just a little bit bigger, stronger and faster. Plus, we have never had to face a season with one physical team after another. If we stay the course and continue to recruit great athletes, we will be ok. I'm not a fan of mediocrity and I know UCF is building a championship program. We need to give it a bit of time and support our athletes knowing that they want to win worse than we do.

I've been a fan for a long time and have read this board for years but have never posted. Over the past 20 years, I felt a sense of urgency that we couldn't lose a game or we'd be left out in the cold. Through a lot of hard work, great leadership and a bit of luck here and there, we thankfully made it to the elite level. I know we are going to be very successful in the years to come. We just need to have a little patience because we are just not quite on the same level as the historic Big 12 teams.

We have very good athletes and I don't want to disparage any of them. They are kids who work hard and are getting better each day. The issue I see is that we are not quite on the same level from a physical standpoint just yet. The other legacy P5 teams are just a little bit bigger, stronger and faster. Plus, we have never had to face a season with one physical team after another. If we stay the course and continue to recruit great athletes, we will be ok. I'm not a fan of mediocrity and I know UCF is building a championship program. We need to give it a bit of time and support our athletes knowing that they want to win worse than we do.
Well put.

very true KinC

Watching the defense from my perspective is how bad the position of our defensive players against the running plays seems to be. You are suppose to pick up keys on what kind of plays the offense is running from watching game videos. It hasn't been evident that our LBs and DBs are seeing any keys on the field to tell them what play is being run so they play on their heels rather than from an aggressive position. I'm not talking about the DL here except when they don't box the corners and keep the runner inside for others to make plays.

Also I wonder if practices need to return back to the old tackling drills rather than tackling padded pillows and falling on pads all the time.

Reactions: Yaes
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT