ADVERTISEMENT

Randy Shannon

Poolside Knight

Todd's Tiki Bar
Apr 2, 2007
something to be concerned about? Him and Corey Bell haven't really shown a public embrace or promotion of UCF since being hired..

Reactions: KMF-UCF
something to be concerned about? Him and Corey Bell haven't really shown a public embrace or promotion of UCF since being hired..

Sometimes I question how passionate he is about coaching anymore. He’s been a head coach and a defensive coordinator at P5 schools. He seems kind of laid back and It’s not like he’s clawing and climbing the ranks of the coaching ladder anymore. Many may think this is a big downgrade for him. He’s difficult to read.

However, none of the players have suggested that he’s not passionate about coaching them.

hope it works out but I'm getting 'collect the paycheck' vibes, we'll know if that's the case if he is going after FIU tier recruits

It wouldn't be surprising he took the UF DC position with the intentions his next stop was HC somewhere.

He also was the HC of a program that had an easier path to a championship than most with one of the easiest recruiting spots in the nation. Where he grew up and played. There is no job that will live up to that for him.

You will not be impressed with Randy's defense unless the players take it upon themselves to make something happen.

I for one am very concerned. I’m calling 6-7.
hope it works out but I'm getting 'collect the paycheck' vibes, we'll know if that's the case if he is going after FIU tier recruits
We gave up roughly 25 ppg the last 2 years. Not really elite defensive numbers. When we put up 38 ppg we don’t need an elite defense. Plus I’m pretty sure blood is thicker than water and his blood is on our defense. He wants to see his sons team succeed. If his son wasn’t on team he wouldn’t be here. Relax. He just doesn’t want to do interviews. No big deal. We are switching defenses and he doesn’t want to give out any info.

It’s a business. They are focused on getting the next big job but to do that you have to succeed at this job. Culturally, neither really mesh with the media and they aren’t going to fake it. I think that they are both happy here and will do a good job. Get out of their face with that damn camera!

Reactions: Knight_Light
Which any player that gets on the field should want.

Except that leaves holes open. Especially linebackers on run plays. He rarely blitzes and lets the linebackers roam and play free. You'll find that unless your guys can simply out athlete the other team, you will get burned on quite a few long runs where the linebacker leaves his assignment to freelance.

It’s a business. They are focused on getting the next big job but to do that you have to succeed at this job. Culturally, neither really mesh with the media and they aren’t going to fake it. I think that they are both happy here and will do a good job. Get out of their face with that damn camera!

This. But, I think we all know that we hired Shannon because he is a name in Florida to counteract the fact the Heup was an unknown. I think they are also trying to keep Shannon as a low profile so he is not the focus. I think that role currently suits Shannon just fine. Once Heup establishes himself at UCF we will probably see Shannon take a new HC position at a G5.

This. But, I think we all know that we hired Shannon because he is a name in Florida to counteract the fact the Heup was an unknown. I think they are also trying to keep Shannon as a low profile so he is not the focus. I think that role currently suits Shannon just fine. Once Heup establishes himself at UCF we will probably see Shannon take a new HC position at a G5.

This^^^^

He's already shown that he is a major draw for recruits. The defensive players say they are going to be better this year. People were complaining earlier that he was going to try and steal the show from Heup. Now are we complaining that he isn't speaking enough.

Give the guy a break, please. Maybe he has a personal issue going on. This thread is like the one's when Heup was first hired without a staff. NO SUBSTANCE! FAKE NEWS!

Reactions: Knight_Light
He's already shown that he is a major draw for recruits. The defensive players say they are going to be better this year. People were complaining earlier that he was going to try and steal the show from Heup. Now are we complaining that he isn't speaking enough.

Give the guy a break, please. Maybe he has a personal issue going on. This thread is like the one's when Heup was first hired without a staff. NO SUBSTANCE! FAKE NEWS!
just passing along info :okay:

Most of his UCF salary is backend loaded with most this year being payed by UF buyout. He can basically make almost as much golfing, so just collecting a paycheck doesn't make any sense

There was one interesting angle that played out at UF while he was there, and one you should look out for. It seems he really played favorites with the players from south Florida versus the guys from elsewhere. Apparently it created significant discord in the locker room.

There was one interesting angle that played out at UF while he was there, and one you should look out for. It seems he really played favorites with the players from south Florida versus the guys from elsewhere. Apparently it created significant discord in the locker room.
Miami fans said the same about him too.

Randy was never a PR person, ever. He was largely detached from the workings at Miami, part of why he came out of that scandal unscathed. Perhaps he is being a bit smart, keeps it business and does what he has to do? Some places call that a work ethic. I am waiting till the season to make a judgement call.

Based upon the game it looks like the the D has significant potential to be an upgrade over last year. Listening to Nate Evans post game, he said the D is schemed to let the players make plays and that he loves coach Shannon.

Last edited:

I agree. Give him time. There could be many variables in play behind the scenes that need to play out. Hopefully he works out.

Sometimes I question how passionate he is about coaching anymore. He’s been a head coach and a defensive coordinator at P5 schools. He seems kind of laid back and It’s not like he’s clawing and climbing the ranks of the coaching ladder anymore. Many may think this is a big downgrade for him. He’s difficult to read.

However, none of the players have suggested that he’s not passionate about coaching them.
I sense that Shannon is in a possible 'catch 22' situation. Stay away from the media and appear to lack passion. Get in front of the media and, as a former HC, appear to be competing with the head coach for a leadership image. I believe he is taking the better route and letting the public know that he is comfortable with Heupel being the leader and "face" of the Knights.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT