ADVERTISEMENT

Re-watched the offense during the Boise State game

AuburnLegacy_1

Silver Knight
Feb 4, 2022
A few observations...

The offensive line played phenomenal, especially considering that it consists of four transfers, including three first-year guys, one of whom did not even go through spring practice. (The success is due in part to the offensive play calling.)

Lokahi Pauole is the worst of the five. He struggled at times run blocking and pass blocking, but his struggles were no where near bad enough for Herb Hand to consider replacing him.

Drake Metcalf made some mistakes with early and late snaps. Probably nerves considering he hasn't played a lot. He even inadvertently forced Marcellus Marshall into an undeserved illegal procedure penalty.

Marshall, Grable, and Bula are hard fighting soldiers. None of these three offensive linemen produce a lot of pancakes, rodeos, cockroaches, etc., but the defenders they blocks never affect the offensive play in any way.

Gus Malzahn has the worst tight end/h-back play of his career. Alec Holler and Zach Marsh Wojan are damn pitiful. Holler knows what he is supposed to do and gives 100% effort. He just cannot do the things being asked of him. He is not a Division 1A player. Wojan is no better. I guess UCF didn't realize how desperately it needed to look for an H-back/tight in the portal.

The offensive play calling was top notch. Player execution wasn't always there, but the calls themselves were timely and excellent. The score was not indicative of UCF's thoroughly dominant play. Even the trick plays should have worked.

Plumlee takes a lot of hits. I coached in a flexible system a few years back, and we went though three quarterbacks in one season. Gus runs his quarterbacks as much as flexbone coaches. Stated differently, JRP gets hit as much as a service academy quarterback.

Odds and ends... I noticed Harvey suffered some type of hip injury on the final drive. He grimaced on the final two carries to set up the game winning field goal. ... I don't think JRP nor the coaching staff realized how hurt he was until he handed the ball off those last two plays. ... Johnny Richardson cost UCF probably 11-14 points. Twice he came up 1 yard short on third downs that ended in a field goal or turnover on downs. He needs to learn to know where the yard markers are all times. ... I thought Erik Chinander did a good job with Boise State's front seven.

The Knights left 28 points or more off the board. UCF will be just fine.

Game of the Week--Kansas State goes to Missouri. It will mark the first road test for the Wildcats and it will come against Malzahn protege Eliah Drinkwitz. I am certain Gus and Elijah will share notes. Coincidentally, Boise State's OC Bush Hamdan was Drinkiwitz's OC the last three years. He is one of the only Arabic coordinators in college football. Boise State plays FCS champion North Dakota this week.

Last edited:
Holler totally whiffed on a few key blocks. Richardson still needs to learn when to north-south run rather than think he can juke 4 guys coming for him or that the sidelines will never run out of room.

I agree the offense was humming nicely, the mistakes cost us. Just two of those mistakes (drops) gone are 14 points. Let alone some of the other things. Should have easily doubled up Boise. I have to believe Javon and Kobe are going to hit the jugs machines, although it was nice to see them both really have a great game outside of the drops, especially Kobe. I appreciate these two transfers, they seem to have great work ethic.

Didn't notice the bad play but did notice the Key Catch in the final drive by Alec Holler. Gotta give it up for him on that one!!!

Bad play examples (from memory):

On a third-down designed JRP run in the second half, Holler was lead blocking, got blown up, and his guy dropped JRP for a loss that led to a punt.

Holler fell down on a screen pass in the red zone that left to a Colton Boomer field goal before halftime.

On the Xavier Townsend reserve, Holler was the lead blocking downfield. He got flat backed by the defender.

The Key Catch...

Prior to that catch (his only catch not negated by penalty that I recall), Holler stepped out of bounds (without being forced out), returned to the field of play, and was the first receiver to touch the football on that play. It went for a first down, but technically should have been 5 yard illegal touching penalty.

A word about Alec Holler. I am thankful UCF has him. As much as I have b*tched about him, he knows what to do and the offense would be a lot worse off without him.

Last edited:
We haven't had a real playmaker at TE since old man Akins. Coubs was solid but undersized. Then maybe Michael Gaines? This is why I am very excited for Pittman. TE is just a position that forever seemingly had a blocking-to-catching ratio of 95:5 historically for us. Or we'd have a pass catching TE and blocking TE and the play call was always obvious. Holler has been good, but Akins was a real threat at TE. Nice to have someone like that.

Reactions: LateKnight
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT