ADVERTISEMENT

The Maturation of Malzahn and State of the UCF Football Program

AuburnLegacy_1

Silver Knight
Feb 4, 2022
Where was this Gus Malzahn when he was coaching at Auburn? Gus has made "some of" the best moves of his coaching career this postseason.

KEEPING THE BEST PLAYERS IN HOUSE: Aside from losing Javon Baker to the NFL, Gus has kept the best UCF players in the fold with crafty NIL allocations. (Thornton is perhaps the only player who left for greener pastures.) UCF will likely have to wait until after Spring Ball to refill its NIL coffers and sign a true X receiver out of the portal. In the meantime, Kobi Hudson and Goldie Lawrence will get the first cracks at the position this spring.

'ROSTA MAN'AGEMENT: For the first time in his career, Gus is operating like an ELITE college football head coach, not "an old high school coach." Gus has sheered from the roster seven (or eight) scared bird scavengers, including two starters (three if you count Alec Holler), inherited from the old staff. Gus even showed six (four transfers and two HS signees) of his own out. Gus may have been a fan of Hammer in the '90s, but Vanilla would definitely stan for this 2024 Gus:

LOCKING UP QB1 FOR 2024 AND BEYOND: Gus is bringing in the highest profile quarterback transfer (who didn't get kicked out of his previous school) in Gus's and UCF's history: A 3-year starter who is arguably the greatest QB in Arkansas football history and fits Gus's offense "perfectly." It is hard to upgrade a position more than replacing a converted position player under center with K.J. Jefferson. (In comparison to JRP, Jefferson has accounted for nearly 10,000 yards and almost 80 touchdowns in 38 starts at the position he will be playing at UCF.) Gus also pulled another coup by getting EJ Colson to reclassify and sign in the Class of 2024. Given Colson's success on the field and how he was trending in the 2025 rankings, it is highly doubtful the Knights would have held onto his commitment had he played his senior season of high school football.

WORKING MAGIC ON A BUDGET: Gus and UCF do not have the funding to match other programs on transfer portal acquisitions. The Knights, however, are putting the final touches on a Top 10 portal class of "mids" ($1 to @LoboCane). UCF has signed three transfer safeties with 50 combined starts, two transfer linebackers with 30 combined starts, and an FCS All-American edge rusher with 22 career starts.

PREPPING FOR THE FUTURE: UCF is bringing in the highest rated class in school history. The majority of defensive signees are early enrollees. Crazy to think the greatest class of incoming freshmen ever at UCF is so low on the totem pole of importance for Year 2 in Big 12 play. Most signees, however, will receive a redshirt.

ALL THINGS CONSIDERED: UCF has held pat or upgraded every offensive and defensive position, except wide receiver, offensive line, defensive end, and maybe cornerback. This offseason has witnessed the best program advancement of Gus's career, but there's still work to do...

ADDRESSING THE COACHING STAFF: The coaching contracts expire Jan. 31. It will be interesting to see what changes are made to the defensive assistants. Gus has already disposed of wide receivers coach Grant Heard and hired a new Strength & Conditioning Coach and an Associate AD show(wo)man.

FILLING HOLES: UCF will need to continue to make roster changes in the next portal cycle. The Knights are a deep threat X receiver, strongside defensive end, and possibly an offensive guard away from contending for a Big 12 championship and CFP spot in Year 2 of league play.

Last edited:
Reactions: PhDee
Another b.s. Malzahn thread from this person. Dude has major problems.

Understand that his sole reason for posting here is to gaslight you fans. That’s it.

• Dislike
Reactions: firm_bizzle

Understand that his sole reason for posting here is to gaslight you fans. That’s it.
UCF bought the 12th-highest ranked NIL QB and the u got the 16th-ranked NIL QB after the 13th-ranked NIL QB left the program. If that info is wrong, take it up with On3.

Our Office
support@on3.zendesk.com
8011 Brooks Chapel Road Unit 3348
Brentwood TN 37027

UCF did that. Not Gus.

Reactions: Robert0122
Your sole purpose is to troll and boast Miami’s off-season. How are you any different?
In my defense, I believe what I post. Lobo just loves to troll (i.e., start arguments). He is like a dumb AI which only regurgitates information from behind pay walls (which I do appreciate) and rehashes retired narratives from other boards.

I didn't even mention the 2024 schedule in my notes column. UCF hosts three teams (TCU, Colorado, and BYU) coming off losing seasons. The Knights also just Arizona, which is undergoing a coaching change, and Utah, which is always tough. UCF is slated to play at two opponents (TCU and Arizona State) coming off losing seasons. The Knights also go to Iowa State, which lost two of its last three games, and West Virginia, which will be a tough draw.

Well seeing as your sole purpose is to troll fans I would take the gas lighting any day. Has Miami won the ACC yet?

Reactions: Robert0122
Where was this Gus Malzahn when he was coaching at Auburn? Gus has made "some of" the best moves of his coaching career this postseason.

KEEPING THE BEST PLAYERS IN HOUSE: Aside from losing Javon Baker to the NFL, Gus has kept the best UCF players in the fold with crafty NIL allocations. (Thornton is perhaps the only player who left for greener pastures.) UCF will likely have to wait until after Spring Ball to refill its NIL coffers and sign a true X receiver out of the portal. In the meantime, Kobi Hudson and Goldie Lawrence will get the first cracks at the position this spring.

'ROSTA MAN'AGEMENT: For the first time in his career, Gus is operating like an ELITE college football head coach, not "an old high school coach." Gus has sheered from the roster seven (or eight) scared bird scavengers, including two starters (three if you count Alec Holler), inherited from the old staff. Gus even showed six (four transfers and two HS signees) of his own out. Gus may have been a fan of Hammer in the '90s, but Vanilla would definitely stan for this 2024 Gus:

LOCKING UP QB1 FOR 2024 AND BEYOND: Gus is bringing in the highest profile quarterback transfer (who didn't get kicked out of his previous school) in Gus's and UCF's history: A 3-year starter who is arguably the greatest QB in Arkansas football history and fits Gus's offense "perfectly." It is hard to upgrade a position more than replacing a converted position player under center with K.J. Jefferson. (In comparison to JRP, Jefferson has accounted for nearly 10,000 yards and almost 80 touchdowns in 38 starts at the position he will be playing at UCF.) Gus also pulled another coup by getting EJ Colson to reclassify and sign in the Class of 2024. Given Colson's success on the field and how he was trending in the 2025 rankings, it is highly doubtful the Knights would have held onto his commitment had he played his senior season of high school football.

WORKING MAGIC ON A BUDGET: Gus and UCF do not have the funding to match other programs on transfer portal acquisitions. The Knights, however, are putting the final touches on a Top 10 portal class of "mids" ($1 to @LoboCane). UCF has signed three transfer safeties with 50 combined starts, two transfer linebackers with 30 combined starts, and an FCS All-American edge rusher with 22 career starts.

PREPPING FOR THE FUTURE: UCF is bringing in the highest rated class in school history. The majority of defensive signees are early enrollees. Crazy to think the greatest class of incoming freshmen ever at UCF is so low on the totem pole of importance for Year 2 in Big 12 play. Most signees, however, will receive a redshirt.

ALL THINGS CONSIDERED: UCF has held pat or upgraded every offensive and defensive position, except wide receiver, offensive line, defensive end, and maybe cornerback. This offseason has witnessed the best program advancement of Gus's career, but there's still work to do...

ADDRESSING THE COACHING STAFF: The coaching contracts expire Jan. 31. It will be interesting to see what changes are made to the defensive assistants. Gus has already disposed of wide receivers coach Grant Heard and hired a new Strength & Conditioning Coach and an Associate AD show(wo)man.

FILLING HOLES: UCF will need to continue to make roster changes in the next portal cycle. The Knights are a deep threat X receiver, strongside defensive end, and possibly an offensive guard away from contending for a Big 12 championship and CFP spot in Year 2 of league play.
Malzahn will be judged based on his team's performance (not projections, wishes or hopes or even recruiting rankings), In fact, with his success at recruiting, he's raised the bar for his expected performance. No more 6-7's or even 9-5's. When you're top 10 portal in the country and top 2 HS in the B12, double digit wins will be expected. It's time for Gus to deliver or stick with being a GM and turn over the coaching reins to someone who can coach.

This is propaganda. How do you look at the season that just ended and think Gus has done anything special?

Reactions: LoboCane
Malzahn will be judged based on his team's performance (not projections, wishes or hopes or even recruiting rankings), In fact, with his success at recruiting, he's raised the bar for his expected performance. No more 6-7's or even 9-5's. When you're top 10 portal in the country and top 2 HS in the B12, double digit wins will be expected. It's time for Gus to deliver or stick with being a GM and turn over the coaching reins to someone who can coach.
This is propaganda. How do you look at the season that just ended and think Gus has done anything special?
We’re now boasting about offseasons like Miami only in a better conference.
I am not talking about winning or losing an offseason. I am simply saying that all the little things are part of the journey. The results YOU SEE on Saturdays are the destination. I am posting about the journey.

Kirby didn't win a national title until Year 6; Jimbo, Year 7 (He was HCIW for three seasons); and Harbaugh and Dabo, Year 9. For all four, recruiting wins came first, and none were transitioning a G5 into a P5 at the time.

If Gus can produce a 10-win season or better, he deserves all the credit in the world for the job he will have done this offseason.

Yes, this team lost seven games in 2023. Three losses were by a combined 5 points. In two other losses, UCF led in the second half.

Gus is building this program brick by brick.

Reactions: knightraveler
Wait, I missed something. 1 When did Malzahn ever do anything at UCF, and why is the Miami eunick back? Man we must be doing better than I thought in the off season for the eunick to be back!!

Reactions: Guinness_Knight
I am not talking about winning or losing an offseason. I am simply saying that all the little things are part of the journey. The results YOU SEE on Saturdays are the destination. I am posting about the journey.

Kirby didn't win a national title until Year 6; Jimbo, Year 7 (He was HCIW for three seasons); and Harbaugh and Dabo, Year 9. For all four, recruiting wins came first, and none were transitioning a G5 into a P5 at the time.

If Gus can produce a 10-win season or better, he deserves all the credit in the world for the job he will have done this offseason.

Yes, this team lost seven games in 2023. Three losses were by a combined 5 points. In two other losses, UCF led in the second half.

And losing games by bad decisions and poor coaching.

And losing games by bad decisions and poor coaching.
Winning games by "out-athleting" people is a helluva lot easier than winning by "out-coaching" people week in and out.

Just ask sabahr, Kirby, Dabo, Orgeron, Harbaugh, etc.

Recruiting wins ALWAYS come first.

The best coaching decision is deciding when to get into the victory formation.

Last edited:

You're right. It's all about the journey and life in general. The thing I like about sports are observing how all the people involved deal with adversity...the players, coaches, fans and administration. It is an accelerated microcosm of life. It very satisfying to see everyone work together to achieve greatness.

Reactions: AuburnLegacy_1

Unfortunately, only way Malzahn sees a 10 win season if if he, all of a sudden, develops double vision.

Mark this post, and I'll be happy to eat crow if he achieves that milestone at UCF.

Unfortunately, only way Malzahn sees a 10 win season if if he, all of a sudden, develops double vision.

Mark this post, and I'll be happy to eat crow if he achieves that milestone at UCF.
Well all I have tried to say is...

Gus was four field goals away from potentially winning nine games last season and, through roster management, portal acquisitions, and prep recruiting, has improved the roster in terms of experience, depth, and/or talent at four of five position groups on offense and three of four position groups on defense.

The 2024 schedule sets up easier than last season when UCF traveled more than any other program and played at the two winningest college football programs over the past 20 seasons, along with playing at the reigning Big 12 champ before hosting the 2022 Big 12 champ. Aside from 10-win Arizona, which is undergoing a coaching change, the most successful 2024 opponent is 9-win West Virginia. Utah was 8-5.

Last edited:
I often feel sorry for UCF fans simply because as lifelong G5 fans you have no idea how college football works. You are easily deceived by words, smoke screens a low level shill.

The first order of business would be to fire Addison Williams. To fire Addison Williams. He should have never been hired to being with. His defensive philosophy and schemes are trash, his calling is trash and he makes zero adjustments (you see what happens after halftime). None of that is changing.

Second order of business is to kick Malzahn out of the offense completely. This gimmick offense is his offense and you see what happens when UCF faces a decent defense.

UCF is warm butter soft in the trenches and that’s not changing. What trench players did Malzahn and his people bring in the high school class or in the portal? I’ll wait. They are bringing in NINE DBs tho…one of them a 5’9” 200 player that Addisson Williams plans to play at LB.

Last edited:
To take the next step UCF NEEDS to hire a top DC and a play calling OC. Both need to be independent coaches and not people who will be Malzahn sock puppets.

Basically all of the coaches on the staff are Malzahn “guys”…UCF football is not going anywhere with that. Simple as that.

The first order of business would be to fire Addison Williams. To fire Addison Williams. He should have never been hired to being with. His defensive philosophy and schemes are trash, his calling is trash and he makes zero adjustments (you see what happens after halftime). None of that is changing.
You, @LoboCane, are a dumbazz if you think Addison Williams is defensive coordinator in anything other than name. He is a figurehead. UCF needs a black defensive coordinator. Plain and simple.

It baffles me that these UCF fans can realize that Gus is the offensive coordinator, but cannot realize that David Gibbs is the "real" defensive coordinator.

I am disappointed in you, @LoboCane, for not having enough common sense to realize that a guy (Gibbs) who was a defensive coordinator at Auburn, Texas Tech, Minnesota, and Houston and a former NFL coach for Denver Broncos, Kansas City Chiefs, and Houston Texans is more qualified to be the defensive coordinator of a P5 program than a guy (Williams) who has one season as a defensive coordinator at D2 Tusculum. It literally says in Sentence 2 of Williams bio: Addison Williams, in his third season on the UCF staff, is in his first year as the Knights’ defensive coordinator in 2023. He shares responsibilities for the UCF secondary with David Gibbs."

It's obvious!

If you can't see through that facade, I cannot help you.

Second order of business is to kick Malzahn out of the offense completely. This gimmick offense is his offense and you see what happens when UCF faces a decent defense.
Read my lips ... Malzahn will quit coaching football before he quits coordinating offense.
UCF is warm butter soft in the trenches and that’s not changing. What trench players did Malzahn and his people bring in the high school class or in the portal? I’ll wait. They are bringing in NINE DBs tho…one of them a 5’9” 200 player that Addisson Williams plans to play at LB.
Not sure about that. UCF coaches were really high on their interior defensive linemen before the season. Most of these guys were in college football for three seasons or fewer and most came from other programs. Strongside defensive end was a consistent problem. Adding Derrick LeBlanc is a big help.

The linebackers were the bigger problem because Rian Davis and Isiah Paul didn't pan out.

Those nine DBs, when added to what UCF already has, should give UCF arguably the top secondary in the Big 12.

To take the next step UCF NEEDS to hire a top DC and a play calling OC. Both need to be independent coaches and not people who will be Malzahn sock puppets.
I agree on the DC if it is Gary Patterson.

Gus needs to coordinate the offense and call plays. But he does need to hire a top shelf QBs coach.
Basically all of the coaches on the staff are Malzahn “guys”…UCF football is not going anywhere with that. Simple as that.
Shows what you know ...

David Gibbs has zero connection to Gus aside from the fact that Gibbs coached for Eli Drinkawitz, who is a branch on Malzahn's coaching tree. Gibbs coordinated under Tommy Tuberville at Auburn. Gibbs never even coached against Gus.

Ernie Sims has no connection to Malzahn whatsoever. Neither does Kenny Martin.

Only Addison Williams and Kenny Ingram were with Gus at Auburn.

You, @LoboCane, are a dumbazz if you think Addison Williams is defensive coordinator in anything other than name. He is a figurehead. UCF needs a black defensive coordinator. Plain and simple.

It baffles me that these UCF fans can realize that Gus is the offensive coordinator, but cannot realize that David Gibbs is the "real" defensive coordinator.

I am disappointed in you, @LoboCane, for not having enough common sense to realize that a guy (Gibbs) who was a defensive coordinator at Auburn, Texas Tech, Minnesota, and Houston and a former NFL coach for Denver Broncos, Kansas City Chiefs, and Houston Texans is more qualified to be the defensive coordinator of a P5 program than a guy (Williams) who has one season as a defensive coordinator at D2 Tusculum. It literally says in Sentence 2 of Williams bio: Addison Williams, in his third season on the UCF staff, is in his first year as the Knights’ defensive coordinator in 2023. He shares responsibilities for the UCF secondary with David Gibbs."

It's obvious!

If you can't see through that facade, I cannot help you.

Read my lips ... Malzahn will quit coaching football before he quits coordinating offense.

Not sure about that. UCF coaches were really high on their interior defensive linemen before the season. Most of these guys were in college football for three seasons or fewer and most came from other programs. Strongside defensive end was a consistent problem. Adding Derrick LeBlanc is a big help.

The linebackers were the bigger problem because Rian Davis and Isiah Paul didn't pan out.

Those nine DBs, when added to what UCF already has, should give UCF arguably the top secondary in the Big 12.
This post is misguided , racist and full of lies but you will get a pass from the minions here.

So none of you are going to call this racist shill out? What a bunch of pathetic little men all of you are.

He thinks he’s some content creator.
Unfortunately, you are correct here.

This board needs more traffic, and UCF sites need more content creators.

For example...

How can a major college football program undergo a significant coaching change (Grant Heard) and zero publications cover it and none suggest a list of replacement candidates?

It is unfathomable.

IT MIGHT NOT EQUATE TO A SOLITARY VICTORY, but...

Magnificent offseason by Gus.

Never in his coaching history has he improved a program as much as he has improved UCF for 2024.

Reactions: knightraveler
UCF bought the 12th-highest ranked NIL QB and the u got the 16th-ranked NIL QB after the 13th-ranked NIL QB left the program. If that info is wrong, take it up with On3.

Our Office
support@on3.zendesk.com
8011 Brooks Chapel Road Unit 3348
Brentwood TN 37027

UCF did that. Not Gus.
You have no idea how much NIL Cam Ward or KJ Jefferson got and neither does ON3 Sports. What a joke this guy is. Lol.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT