Brandon

Publisher
Staff
May 28, 2001
Winter Park, FL
www.ucfsports.com
UCF has 16 sports currently filled.

15 commitments from 2022 recruits.

And one transfer commitment from OL Bless Harris.

With the new legislation granting up to seven more spots due to transfers that leave (and UCF will hit the seven number), I'm told UCF is planning on 10 more additions, so likely 26.

For the 10 remaining spots, the primary focus will be on transfers and JUCOs - players that can help immediately. There may be room for a few more HS players depending on how things shake out.

It'll be interesting to see the transfer circus since most schools will also have an extra seven spots to work with. Will schools try to use all their spots in December for January enrollees? Or save a few in the bank for guys who may hit the portal later on, perhaps players on track to graduate in May?

UCF definitely wants to plug and play at spots like OL, DL, LB, RB and WR.

OL - Marcus Tatum is definitely gone, and Cole Schneider/Sam Jackson are set to graduate. They could technically come back if they wanted (extra year) but that remains to be seen. It seems Adrian Medley is the only guy perhaps ready to step up and start, but don't rule out Ed Collins. They will still look for another 1-2 experienced additions.

RB - Isaiah Bowser could cash in a free COVID year, but the expectation is that he will be gone and try to show he can do in the NFL. R.J. Harvey will hopefully be 100 percent by next season, though he's still unproven. That leaves Johnny Richardson/MAR, and obviously incoming freshman Jordan McDonald. They'd like another guy in the Bowser mold to complement the room.

WR - If Flash is back in 2022, that lessens the need but there's a sense UCF still needs playmakers. Quan Lee will play right away. Maybe Jordan Johnson develops over an offseason. Could take a younger transfer or maybe look for another HS player.

DL - Definitely looking for another DT and DE. Anthony Montalvo has the option to return if he wants it. Kalia Davis, big question mark on what he will do. His knee injury is pretty bad, there's no way he'll be ready to do anything pre-draft. Does he have enough on tape to warrant NFL looks? I think he was trending that way, but opting out in 2020 really hurt him because he doesn't have that film to fall back on. I would tend to think he'd move on (I think he's like 23 years old) but that's a decision he'd have to make. He probably wouldn't be ready to play until late next summer at the earliest.

LB - Bryson Armstrong is gone, leaving just Tatum Bethune/JJB as solid players with experience, and I'm not sure there's anybody behind them ready to step up. Kam Moore and T.J. Bullard may need a year to develop.

DB - Safety is the big need with only one solid starter and minimal depth. I think it's DeMari Henderson that is the safety. He'll have a shot right away. But the need is there is which why a JUCO just got offered (Marquise Gilbert). Clemson safety transfer Joseph Charleston also a target as is Louisville transfer Bralyn Oliver.

K - I've got to think this is a consideration for an outright scholly if the right one materializes.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News