ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting Update Thread

I think Mikey is a very good QB with an outstanding HS record. Never lost a game. I believe to judge him too harshly under the present conditions is very unfair and short sighted. Just my opinion.
I believe he is small, thin, and appears to have the arm strength of Dinovo. Sorry, but you can tell it requires some effort to get the ball 25 yards down field.

Reactions: U C to the F
I believe he is small, thin, and appears to have the arm strength of Dinovo. Sorry, but you can tell it requires some effort to get the ball 25 yards down field.
He came in during the spring. He hasn’t had a full offseason of college strength and conditioning yet. If he looks like that next year, then okay let’s have this discussion. But until he has a full offseason to bulk up and get stronger, I think it’s unfair tbh. Milton honestly had a pretty big transformation from his freshmen and sophomore year as well.

It’s the entire QB room if no one is better. You have to bring in 1 or 2 QBs every cycle. Why wait 2 years and then the kid says you didn’t want me early enough. Get lost.
You’re comment literally said Mikey Keene and not the QB room…. Yes you need to recruit qbs every year. That’s exactly what I was getting at. Your initial comment went straight from Mike Keene to a 2025 kid and I was simply saying you may want to try and get a QB in you know, 2023 and 2024 first.

You’re comment literally said Mikey Keene and not the QB room…. Yes you need to recruit qbs every year. That’s exactly what I was getting at. Your initial comment went straight from Mike Keene to a 2025 kid and I was simply saying you may want to try and get a QB in you know, 2023 and 2024 first.
We already have offers to those years. I’m not sure if ignoring a 5 star in state is a good strategy. I would have named every QB on roster but why? Next year we have DG. Possibly even another year. I’m hoping Castellanos can be better than Mikey to hold us over for a year or 2.

He came in during the spring. He hasn’t had a full offseason of college strength and conditioning yet. If he looks like that next year, then okay let’s have this discussion. But until he has a full offseason to bulk up and get stronger, I think it’s unfair tbh. Milton honestly had a pretty big transformation from his freshmen and sophomore year as well.
DG bulked up noticeably between years 1-2 as well.

Mikey isn't long term QB. KZ and DG proved themselves after their first 4 games. Mikey hasn't shown any game changing talent other than the GOL game manager quality.

Mikey isn't long term QB. KZ and DG proved themselves after their first 4 games. Mikey hasn't shown any game changing talent other than the GOL game manager quality.
Keene wouldn’t start on UConn or USF. He’s FCS quality, I’m sorry guys. True freshman aside, it’s hard to watch, I’m screaming at the tv.

Reactions: Shark19
You think 63 yards against one of the worst defenses in our conference is good? Ok…we will agree to disagree then, respectfully of course

Reactions: Shark19
Did you watch the play calling, the stupid substitutions of Joey G, and the number of dropped catchable balls?
The subbing there was bad, the switching of QBs was bad, I’m with you there. I also saw the drops, but only a couple I would call catchable, others would have been great catches.

I also saw the qb lead his wrs out to pasture getting blown up while waiting on late and weak throws. Brandon Johnson is hot and cold he drops a lot, same tonight. Amari Johnson the same all season (I.e. Louisville?). Alex Holler? One good catch against Boise and many bad drops since, get him out of there too.

the play calling w/ DG and our starters looked awesome. It clear Gus whole game plan is now predicated to a qb who can’t throw and lack of playmakers. Without Bowser back full strength we lose that game 7-3 with a kicker who goes 1-4

Reactions: akahotsizzle
The previous staff, who was known for loving the deep ball, was ecstatic to land Keene. Gus and Kinne up to this point, haven't let him throw it deep. There are probably a multitude of reasons for it. Maybe he's struggling with the playbook (doubt this because he was a 4.4GPA kid in HS). Maybe J-Rob has a bigger effect on defenses than we, or at least I, thought. Who the hell actually knows. But he can push the ball downfield at least as good as KZ could as a Freshman. Calling him Dinovo is just inaccurate. Go dig up some film of the Croke Park Classic. Pete couldn't throw from one hash to the other.

Keene wouldn’t start on UConn or USF. He’s FCS quality, I’m sorry guys. True freshman aside, it’s hard to watch, I’m screaming at the tv.

Let me guess, you were one of the people booing KZ off the field in '16. I've seen enough to know he is capable. He may never work out, that is a possibility. No question he's the best option on the field though, and the kid is a winner, from a HS with a track record of successful collegiate QBs. I want to see him with a healthy Flash, and more opportunities to throw it deep. And btw, he wasn't supposed to start. In an ideal world, he doesn't start till DG decides to leave, which was likely after this season. That would've given Keene an entire year to learn and bulk up some. He hasn't solely lost us a game yet. But it is also true to say we have yet to see him carry the team to a win...yet. What is getting hard to watch is the playcalling, the Gatewood subs, and the drops.

1st down - Keene in, 95% chance this is a run. Small or no gain
2nd down - Gatewood in, 100% run. Small or no gain
3rd down - Keene back in for a 3rd and long, obvious passing down

Not exactly setting the kid up for success.

SMU is going to smash us. Otherwise, I think we have a shot to win out and I would be ecstatic with 8 wins right now. GKCO

The previous staff, who was known for loving the deep ball, was ecstatic to land Keene. Gus and Kinne up to this point, haven't let him throw it deep. There are probably a multitude of reasons for it. Maybe he's struggling with the playbook (doubt this because he was a 4.4GPA kid in HS). Maybe J-Rob has a bigger effect on defenses than we, or at least I, thought. Who the hell actually knows. But he can push the ball downfield at least as good as KZ could as a Freshman. Calling him Dinovo is just inaccurate. Go dig up some film of the Croke Park Classic. Pete couldn't throw from one hash to the other.

Let me guess, you were one of the people booing KZ off the field in '16. I've seen enough to know he is capable. He may never work out, that is a possibility. No question he's the best option on the field though, and the kid is a winner, from a HS with a track record of successful collegiate QBs. I want to see him with a healthy Flash, and more opportunities to throw it deep. And btw, he wasn't supposed to start. In an ideal world, he doesn't start till DG decides to leave, which was likely after this season. That would've given Keene an entire year to learn and bulk up some. He hasn't solely lost us a game yet. But it is also true to say we have yet to see him carry the team to a win...yet. What is getting hard to watch is the playcalling, the Gatewood subs, and the drops.

SMU is going to smash us. Otherwise, I think we have a shot to win out and I would be ecstatic with 8 wins right now. GKCO
Agree. People need to look at Keene's HS film.

I would never “boo” my team or players under any circumstance. Def never booed KZ. I never understood that, you could easily see a true freshman with a ton of athletic ability and promise. I have no idea what some of you see in Keene though. I’ll have to disagree with all of that.

Did you watch the play calling, the stupid substitutions of Joey G, and the number of dropped catchable balls?
He's not a horrible QB but not going to lead us to victories in big games. I don't see the arm strength or the speed as a runner. Just saying...

I think Mikey is a very good QB with an outstanding HS record. Never lost a game. I believe to judge him too harshly under the present conditions is very unfair and short sighted. Just my opinion.
Watching the film, he is Pete Dinovo Jr. horrible long windup on passes, weak arm, and just a game manager at best

Watching the film, he is Pete Dinovo Jr. horrible long windup on passes, weak arm, and just a game manager at best
He’s barely played college football, 18 years old, thrown into a starting role, and some people already have made up there minds on him. While I’m already done with Gus, that’s because he’s been doing this for a decade and isn’t going to improve anymore. But Mikey, he’s 18 years old… cmon man be better then that. He’s nowhere close to his prime football he will play at the college level.

Reactions: Endeavor. and Yaes
He’s barely played college football, 18 years old, thrown into a starting role, and some people already have made up there minds on him. While I’m already done with Gus, that’s because he’s been doing this for a decade and isn’t going to improve anymore. But Mikey, he’s 18 years old… cmon man be better then that. He’s nowhere close to his prime football he will play at the college level.
Mikey Keene looks like a NAIA caliber player. He should have never been recruited, but that’s another present that hippo left us

Most QBs never become good. KZ was an anomaly. You usually are either good or you aren’t.

Most QBs never become good. KZ was an anomaly. You usually are either good or you aren’t.
This is the worst take I have even seen… a quarterback at age 18 is not the same player as when they are 22. If you actually think that, I literally can’t argue with incompetence.

This is the worst take I have even seen… a quarterback at age 18 is not the same player as when they are 22. If you actually think that, I literally can’t argue with incompetence.
Just go back and look at our rosters for last 15 years. Count how many QBs never became good. Hundreds. That’s just our roster. Multiply that by how many football teams have existed in that time. Godfrey and Calabrese got worse. Not many absolutely sucked and became good. Culpepper was good and got better but was already decent. There are a bunch of Freshman in last 5 years that are good from the start. Caleb Williams. Ever heard of him? Probably not. Google.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT