ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting Update Thread

I like that he looks improved from last year for sure. He still looks undersized to me. He seems to float around in coverage well but is not big enough to be a solo tackler yet. I hate watching him be in position to make a stop and not get it done.
He's similar in size to Asante and Asante wasn't weighing 185 lbs his sophomore year at UCF. He'll gain weight, but may never get much weight to him. Nikai is a ballhawk, just like Asante was.

Asante Samuel​

Asante T. Samuel

Position
: DB

5-10, 185lb (178cm, 83kg)

Born: January 6, 1981 in Fort Lauderdale, FL (Age: 42-258d)

College: Central Florida (College Stats)

Weighted Career AV (100-95-...): 74 (550th overall since 1960)

NIKAI MARTINEZ​

POSITIONDB
WEIGHT170 lbs
HEIGHT5-11
CLASSFreshman
HOMETOWNApopka, Fla.

He's similar in size to Asante and Asante wasn't weighing 185 lbs his sophomore year at UCF. He'll gain weight, but may never get much weight to him. Nikai is a ballhawk, just like Asante was.

Asante Samuel​

Asante T. Samuel

Position
: DB

5-10, 185lb (178cm, 83kg)

Born: January 6, 1981 in Fort Lauderdale, FL (Age: 42-258d)

College: Central Florida (College Stats)

Weighted Career AV (100-95-...): 74 (550th overall since 1960)

NIKAI MARTINEZ​

POSITIONDB
WEIGHT170 lbs
HEIGHT5-11
CLASSFreshman
HOMETOWNApopka, Fla.
one big difference is asante was a corner and nikai is a safety.

Reactions: Poolside Knight
one big difference is asante was a corner and nikai is a safety.
Actually, Asante played a lot of safety his true freshman year. I watched him play in the Citrus Bowl and he was all over the field making plays from the safety position.

Last edited:
Actually, Asante played a lot of safety his true freshman year. I watched him play in the Citrus Bowl and he was all over the field making plays on passes.
I always thought your name meant you were born in the 90’s but now I’m feeling it might be your age lol

Ok, after rewatching the K-State game any news on Eddie Pierre-Louis? Also, do we have any other guys in the trenches potentially coming (offense and defense both)? We just got pushed around a lot more than I originally thought.

I said this the night of the game that our fans need to watch it..I know emotions are high and booze is flowing but we really need to chill on QB attacks . I wish idiocy on social media was ignored and didn’t influence players but it does

A Seminole HS Coach

Reactions: Flstan and 90Knight
I said this the night of the game that our fans need to watch it..I know emotions are high and booze is flowing but we really need to chill on QB attacks . I wish idiocy on social media was ignored and didn’t influence players but it does

A Seminole HS Coach

I think there is a difference from unreasonable trashing of a player and some criticism and discussion of a player's performances in a game. Someone said on another post if the players are too sensitive about criticism perhaps they are not ready for P5 play because fans in the P5 can be visious.

Reactions: Poolside Knight
I think there is a difference from unreasonable trashing of a player and some criticism and discussion of a player's performances in a game. Someone said on another post if the players are too sensitive about criticism perhaps they are not ready for P5 play because fans in the P5 can be visious.
I think instant reaction posting here is different from social media where some fans go as far as tagging his account to trash talk

But then some of these players or coaches will search their own name on there

I think instant reaction posting here is different from social media where some fans go as far as tagging his account to trash talk

But then some of these players or coaches will search their own name on there
I guess for some reason I was not aware of tagging his account. Probably becuse I don't like that sort of thing and probably don't read it. Can't understand why someone would do such a think except to be hurtful and to make their own insecurities feel better, but you know, small people do dumb and hurtful things. Thanks for enlightening me.

A Seminole HS Coach

you know what, i don't believe in trashing players on social media and tagging them, but this seminole coach can go F himself. you know why? because anyone who is threatening the portal because a former player gets criticized by idiots (and you have to be one because he didn't play that poorly) isn't worth a damn to begin with. all 26 of his seminole players can go to bama and if they don't perform those bama fans will make idiotic ucf fans look like choir boys. if you're that sensitive stay off social media, but they need it for the praise.

oh and another thing. if they're doing great and UCF fans are virtually blowing them they can still hit up the portal because the better you play the more opportunities you have.

Reactions: DrPhillipsKnight
you know what, i don't believe in trashing players on social media and tagging them, but this seminole coach can go F himself. you know why? because anyone who is threatening the portal because a former player gets criticized by idiots (and you have to be one because he didn't play that poorly) isn't worth a damn to begin with. all 26 of his seminole players can go to bama and if they don't perform those bama fans will make idiotic ucf fans look like choir boys. if you're that sensitive stay off social media, but they need it for the praise.

oh and another thing. if they're doing great and UCF fans are virtually blowing them they can still hit up the portal because the better you play the more opportunities you have.
You are not wrong but some people are really thin skin . They don’t realize 20 fans on Twitter isn’t an entire fanbase of thousands. Kevin Durant is a pro athlete millionaire and he argues w random trolls on there. It is much healthier for these athletes to not read any reply on there

harness-energy-block-bad.gif

I watched a good amount of that Colquitt County game and this dude is a baller. Qb of the future if we can get him signed.

Reactions: tjb74
Seems to me we tried to run and couldn't and our defense still can't tackle or stop the run.
Yes, but an O'leary-coached team would have had the mental discipline---as well as physical discipline---to run the ball, and his teams were always sound at tackling ('05 and '15 seasons aside). This program over the last 5+ years (current and previous staffs) is about flash and relying on superior athletes to just outplay the other team, and looks great against vastly overmatched teams, but just seems to fold when there is real resistance and gets punched in the mouth once in a game. And the folding is primarily in the mental toughness/discipline area.

Reactions: PositYourself
Yes, but an O'leary-coached team would have had the mental discipline---as well as physical discipline---to run the ball, and his teams were always sound at tackling ('05 and '15 seasons aside). This program over the last 5+ years (current and previous staffs) is about flash and relying on superior athletes to just outplay the other team, and looks great against vastly overmatched teams, but just seems to fold when there is real resistance and gets punched in the mouth once in a game. And the folding is primarily in the mental toughness/discipline area.
All the recent staffs have catered to beings the athlete friend versus a coach like O'Leary that coaches discipline and fundamentals. Coaches around the sport have definitely taken discipline overboard in the past, but less athletes are receptive to being put through the wringer or being called out versus just praised and thrown NIL money at. I sound like a boomer, but I can't imagine a team coached by someone like O'Leary or a contemporary choking like we just did. Idk maybe I'm out of touch.

Last edited:
Reactions: Guinness_Knight
All the recent staffs have catered to beings the athlete friend versus a coach like O'Leary that coaches discipline and fundamentals. Coaches around the sport have definitely taken discipline overboard in the past, but less athletes are receptive to being put through the wringer or being called out versus just praised and thrown NIL money at. I sound like a boomer, but I can't imagine a team coached by someone like O'Leary or a contemporary choking like we just did.
Meanwhile, look at Saban----he runs his teams like a successful business CEO. Demands performance and holds accountable players and coaches, but always seems to do it (at least from the outside looking in) as a teachable moment so he doesn't lose the player or coach. Whittingham at Utah does it, as well. Harbaugh, as eccentric as he can be, does it. All those coaches I mentioned have also adapted over the years. Gus refuses to do such. I think he's awesome at recruiting, but at some point he HAS to adjust his philosophy. Players DO actually want to be coached and pushed. If all you do is cater to them, it's unlikely they'll grow.

Reactions: Yaes and vroomba
Meanwhile, look at Saban----he runs his teams like a successful business CEO. Demands performance and holds accountable players and coaches, but always seems to do it (at least from the outside looking in) as a teachable moment so he doesn't lose the player or coach. Whittingham at Utah does it, as well. Harbaugh, as eccentric as he can be, does it. All those coaches I mentioned have also adapted over the years. Gus refuses to do such. I think he's awesome at recruiting, but at some point he HAS to adjust his philosophy. Players DO actually want to be coached and pushed. If all you do is cater to them, it's unlikely they'll grow.
I always like when saban called out the students after they won like 60-0 against a fcs team and some students left at halftime. He said if you come to the game you stay for the game.

A lot of truth in what you say but we stopped doing what we were successful with earlier in the game and tried not lose instead of continuing to try to win. We are not the kind of team yet who can get ahead and then just play ball control especially since we can't stop the run and are awful at tackling.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT