ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting Update Thread

I’m guessing a silent commit wants to be able to keep taking visits without looking like he just wants free vacations. Not sure why a player wouldn’t announce it if they have a commitable offer.

They have full intention to commit, but doesn't want to boast that they commit and help sell to other recruits?

Makes it sound like someone bragging about the supermodel they date from Ukraine that no one can meet.

Sometimes players have plans as to when and how they want to announce their commitment, but might inform the coaches before that time.

For example: a couple years ago, Morris-Brash wanted to publicly announce at the Under Armor game, but he'd told the coaches he was coming here well before that.

Reactions: Knight Strength
Then you haven't been watching long enough. If someone commits to SEC school the stars go up. If they then flip, the stars go down. It helps fulful the prophecy that SEC is the best.
i don't think it's some self-fulfilling prophecy. even if we want to dismiss the on the field results, there is an important check of who is producing talent and who isn't: the nfl draft and who sticks on nfl rosters.

Reactions: Knightbrock
The idea of a silent commit is the norm for most high profile P5 programs. Embrace the change.
False. Silent commits do happen but it's an OUTLIER type situation and not the norm at all.

I grew up a Georgia fan and my entire family follows that program to this day.

A public commit does not guarantee anything as we all know, but a silent commits is much more shaky.

In fact, silent commits hardly ever work themselves out to a public committment and signing with the team. Most P5 fans dont consider a "silent" to be committed at all.

The idea of a silent commit is the norm for most high profile P5 programs. Embrace the change.
Understood there will always be a small number of silents but the schools will still need firm commitments from most to know who exactly is going to sign on signing day.

Reactions: SkiDog291
Understood there will always be a small number of silents but the schools will still need firm commitments from most to know who exactly is going to sign on signing day.
Nowadays with how crazy people go over recruiting and nationally televised/social media announcements, kids like to have there moment. There’s more silent commits than you think nowadays. They let the school know they’re committed but not to announce it because they want there moment on TV or Instagram live or etc. And I mean with how crazy people get over recruiting, can you blame a 17-18 year old?

Nowadays with how crazy people go over recruiting and nationally televised/social media announcements, kids like to have there moment. There’s more silent commits than you think nowadays. They let the school know they’re committed but not to announce it because they want there moment on TV or Instagram live or etc. And I mean with how crazy people get over recruiting, can you blame a 17-18 year old?
Can't blame them. It's their day and it should be as fun as they want it to be.

I’m waiting for NSD. Even verbals don’t mean much.
While there are never guarantees, we've had a very high percentage of verbals follow through over the years. We may lose a few each year but that's still 90% of them sticking with their commitment, so I would say they mean something.

While there are never guarantees, we've had a very high percentage of verbals follow through over the years. We may lose a few each year but that's still 90% of them sticking with their commitment, so I would say they mean something.
We also were having 2 star and low 3 verbal early. That won’t be the case with limited number of signings.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT