ADVERTISEMENT

Replace FCS game

surfer98

Four-Star Recruit
Nov 30, 2017
Why don’t we replace the FCS game we have every year with another Power 6 school going forward. This would give us a pretty good schedule in my opinion. This year for example, we could have replaced SC state with another ACC school. We could have played UNC, PITT, and for example Georgia Tech. Those out of conference games with our conference schedule looks pretty good. I know it’s difficult scheduling games but replacing that one game feels like a much different schedule. Doesn’t seem ridiculously difficult.

Why don’t we replace the FCS game we have every year with another Power 6 school going forward. This would give us a pretty good schedule in my opinion. This year for example, we could have replaced SC state with another ACC school. We could have played UNC, PITT, and for example Georgia Tech. Those out of conference games with our conference schedule looks pretty good. I know it’s difficult scheduling games but replacing that one game feels like a much different schedule. Doesn’t seem ridiculously difficult.

Really?

UF played not one but TWO Div I-AA teams this season and they made it to a NYD6 Bowl.

Heck, UF is playing TWO Div I-AA teams in 2019 as well!

We don’t have that strength in our conference schedule, as of know. Teams like UCONN and ECU are killing the strength of our conference. They are essentially weak FCS teams unless they can turn things around. That might take some time if it happens at all. I would much rather watch us play another power 6 game than any FCS teams. Much better for our fans. I don’t care what Florida or the rest of the SEC does.

Really?

UF played not one but TWO Div I-AA teams this season and they made it to a NYD6 Bowl.

And it's hurting their program in the long term. UFs athletic department is struggling financially and their approach seems to be to get guaranteed wins, but fans don't want to see and don't patronize games vs Southwest Regional State Tech school for the Blind. They're cutting their own throats thinking that their strength of schedule in conference is going to save them.

AAC needs to improve their ooc against the other P5 conferences. Thats its. And consistently. Lets start for example with the AAC East focusing on being better than the ACC Coastal like this year on a consistent basis.

AAC needs to improve their ooc against the other P5 conferences. Thats its. And consistently. Lets start for example with the AAC East focusing on being better than the ACC Coastal like this year on a consistent basis.

Do you realize how ridiculous that sounds? Every team focuses on being the best of the best every year. Its not like saying "hey, let's be better than (x) division is going to make anybody better.

Why don't we just schedule whoever we want, whenever we want? If we just say we are going to play a team, without negotiating out a contract with them, I'm sure they'll just be like, "Well, UCF put us on their schedule, so I guess we have to play that game." .....sigh....

Why don't we just schedule whoever we want, whenever we want? If we just say we are going to play a team, without negotiating out a contract with them, I'm sure they'll just be like, "Well, UCF put us on their schedule, so I guess we have to play that game." .....sigh....
Im not against following ADs in their car with baseball bats.

I know scheduling isn’t easy. However, it does seem that there are schools out there willing to come to UCF. If the in state schools are babies about playing us, I’m happy with playing teams from other states. It helps to build our brand when we play schools from other states. I just don’t see the benefit of playing SC state for our fans and a majority of our players, except for possibly getting reps for players who don’t normally get to play. There are conference games they can play in.

I know scheduling isn’t easy. However, it does seem that there are schools out there willing to come to UCF. If the in state schools are babies about playing us, I’m happy with playing teams from other states. It helps to build our brand when we play schools from other states. I just don’t see the benefit of playing SC state for our fans and a majority of our players, except for possibly getting reps for players who don’t normally get to play. There are conference games they can play in.
This.

FCS programs will do a one and done. P6 programs will at best do a 1-1 and at worst (like UF) want 2-1.

Lets say UCF had played (and beat) UF this year instead of FCS S Carolina St. Our win over a 4 loss UF team would NOT have moved us anywhere near the playoff. It probably would have gotten us one spot higher (ahead of Michigan instead of behind them). But we would not have passed Ohio St or Georgia, much less OK to get into the playoff.

Really?

That’s because UF is busy playing some of the top programs in the country in the regular season and not playing awful conference opponents like UConn, Tulsa, SMU, East Carolina, etc. They can afford to schedule a couple of bleh teams out of conference and still have a tough schedule. We can’t.

That’s because UF is busy playing some of the top programs in the country in the regular season and not playing awful conference opponents like UConn, Tulsa, SMU, East Carolina, etc. They can afford to schedule a couple of bleh teams out of conference and still have a tough schedule. We can’t.
ndcap02.jpg

Quit using “we” in every post referencing UCF. It gets confusing for new posters.

I take that tough schedule that only requires you to win 1 of 4 games against good teams and still be top 10 all day. If UCF lost to those 3 teams during the season they would be 20+ at best. That's the problem. Some teams get multiple shots to get a good win and all their losses no longer matter. Other teams would never get that treatment let alone the opportunity.

I take that tough schedule that only requires you to win 1 of 4 games against good teams and still be top 10 all day. If UCF lost to those 3 teams during the season they would be 20+ at best. That's the problem. Some teams get multiple shots to get a good win and all their losses no longer matter. Other teams would never get that treatment let alone the opportunity.

Yes, when you’re in a really good conference, you can lose a 2-3 games and still sometimes squeeze into the top 10. That’s because you would need to beat a good number of at least fairly solid teams to only have 2-3 losses. If UCF had 2-3 losses, they’d have no good wins at all that would show they can play with other legit programs. I agree that something needs to change. And what needs to change is that we need to schedule tougher opponents and get into a better conference.

The SEC had a mediocre bowl record in 2017. But they have to be the best conference, right??? Those must have been quality losses- all of them.

Why don’t we replace the FCS game we have every year with another Power 6 school going forward.
Genius! Meanwhile ... ask ADDW how many P6 programs are offering?

Seriously, did you ever think why UCF schedules a FCS last second, and not years in advance?!

I agree that I would rather not play FCS teams. It doesn't have to be top-tier P5 teams, but I would rather any P5 game than continuing to play FCS.

It would no be hard to find teams to schedule home and homes. The issue is, we would have to make decision that in some years we are willing to not have an extra home game. I think it is worth the trade off, especially if it helps get us into Big 12.

Genius! Meanwhile ... ask ADDW how many P6 programs are offering?

Seriously, did you ever think why UCF schedules a FCS last second, and not years in advance?!

If you look beyond just the top big name P5 programs it would not be difficult to replace those games. It's about the extra home games, not P5 teams being unwilling to sign the deal.

If you look beyond just the top big name P5 programs ...
Have you see UCF's future schedules? Seriously, I don't know how much more ignorant one can get.

UCF has enough trouble lining up P5 program that are any good by the time UCF plays them, even when UCF schedules them when they are AP Top 10, 10+ wins, Divisional or Conference Champions, etc...

No one likes the fact that UCF has no 'buy out' clause any more. That's how the last 2 Big XII teams pulled out, K-State (after UCF beat the Big XII Champion -- our last game against them) and Texas (just this past spring, and the game was in Austin no less!).

No one likes the fact that UCF has no 'buy out' clause any more. That's how the last 2 Big XII teams pulled out, K-State (after UCF beat the Big XII Champion -- our last game against them) and Texas (just this past spring, and the game was in Austin no less!).

Buyout clauses are in EVERY contract...for either party.

Now, some buyouts were priced way too low and easily executed...believe the new 3 game deal with the Gators/Cows calls for a HUGE buyout "$6 Million", which is basically the cost of a UF home game.

Old buyouts of $150,000-$250,000 were pocket change for P5 programs like Kansas State and others.

Have you see UCF's future schedules? Seriously, I don't know how much more ignorant one can get.

UCF has enough trouble lining up P5 program that are any good by the time UCF plays them, even when UCF schedules them when they are AP Top 10, 10+ wins, Divisional or Conference Champions, etc...

You mean that include Stanford, UNC, Pitt, GT and Louisville all as equal home game splits? No, you can't control how good opponents are in the future, but you can control not scheduling FCS schools. To say no P5 teams will play us 1:1 is a complete lie and a copout.

You are also completely changing the facts. UCF requested the Texas game be moved to a later date when we were supposed to play in 2017. Texas then canceled it for 2023 to add Bama. It was our choice not to play them last year, not theirs. So we can move the date then get mad if they cancel later? It goes both ways.

You mean that include Stanford, UNC, Pitt, GT and Louisville all as equal home game splits? No, you can't control how good opponents are in the future, but you can control not scheduling FCS schools. To say no P5 teams will play us 1:1 is a complete lie and a copout.

You are also completely changing the facts. UCF requested the Texas game be moved to a later date when we were supposed to play in 2017. Texas then canceled it for 2023 to add Bama. It was our choice not to play them last year, not theirs. So we can move the date then get mad if they cancel later? It goes both ways.
Are you on the scheduling committee? The FCS games are a fallback if UCF can’t schedule enough P5 or FBS opponents 1-1.

but you can control not scheduling FCS schools
We do not schedule FCS schools until last second!

To say no P5 teams will play us 1:1 is a complete lie and a copout.
Danny White literally talked about this last week. He's getting 0 takers now, and had wished he would have lined up 2/2 (4 games) with others, when we weren't as good.

Even Boise State has been openingly complaining about it too. In the last 5 years, P5s are scheduling more FCS and Home-only lower G5s for <<$500K.

Even Steve Spurrier talked about this when South Carolina came to UCF in 2013, how it would never be schedule in the 2010s.

And they pushed it back prior as well. But they still bought it out, just like K-State did.

The Big XII's record against the AAC sucks, as is their v. G5 and v. P5, in the same span.

Reactions: Mikesi
How do you guys feel about in state FCS teams? The in state drama and local fans could help us sell more tickets and beer.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT