ADVERTISEMENT

Retail giants like Walmart, Amazon, and Kroger are firing shots over rivals' minimum wages. Here's who actually pays $15 an hour

Why do you think that you have any business deciding the pay scale for any business that you don’t own?
Yessirree, let businesses pay whatever they want, however they want. What's the harm in that?

By the way, any ideas why our country witnessed an influx of illegal immigrants coming from across the border into our country twenty years ago?

Why do you think that you have any business deciding the pay scale for any business that you don’t own?
Because I have to pay to subsidize the other costs of their employment with government benefits when they can't live on low wages.

Walmart has a nice thing going. Pay the employees low wages, then give them discounts on the stuff they buy with food stamps. Win-win.

Yessirree, let businesses pay whatever they want, however they want. What's the harm in that?

By the way, any ideas why our country witnessed an influx of illegal immigrants coming from across the border into our country twenty years ago?
The harm in that is that low wage workers have more opportunity to work. The quality of workers attracted to a company or a position will be determined by what they offer to employees. It’s a free market exchange.

Before you go screeching about “EXPLOITASHUN!!!!!1” do some research on how long people typically stay at minimum wage. A study done in 2000 showed that 67% of full time minimum wage employees moved up from making minimum wage within the first year at that wage. Nearly 12% of 16-18 year olds made minimum wage, and less than 1% of 46-55 year olds were at minimum wage.

Anyone with a brain understands how much harm a $15 minimum wage would do, but Democrats push it because it sounds so good to kids making $9 and people who don’t understand basic economics.

Businesses can't in general for anything that doesn't take 30 mins of training to start working. The minimum wage is for mostly entry of the entry level jobs. You pay $8 you have your employees leave quickly unless it's a high school type part time gig.
That’s what the board lefties don’t understand. They act like these are adults with families working 2 full time minimum wage jobs for years on end not able to make any headway on improving their pay... Meanwhile, businesses refuse to pay them anything other than $7.25 an hour because “fück my employees haha I’m gonna buy another yacht.”

The realities of competing for good employees, which is another aspect of competing for customers, is completely lost on them.

Because I have to pay to subsidize the other costs of their employment with government benefits when they can't live on low wages.
Then stop voting for Democrats that take your money and waste it on programs that only serve to indenture people into their poverty class while on the other hand importing more people competing at the same level so that the supply of unskilled workers keeps the wages down.

Yall might as well just go ahead on get on the UBI #yanggang train
Of all of the alternatives, that's the one I like best. It puts money in people's hands so that they can spend it where they need to and it also allows the free market to work. If we have to do something, that is the thing to do.

Reactions: Crazyhole
Of all of the alternatives, that's the one I like best. It puts money in people's hands so that they can spend it where they need to and it also allows the free market to work. If we have to do something, that is the thing to do.
Yep. 1 check, let people decide how to spend it based on their own priorities.

Even back in their hay days, skating rinks never hired full-time people and you know it. They were always staffed by a few high school and college age kids.

Heck, if you'd been around in 1910, I could see you whining about how the minimum wage was forcing poor livery stables out of business. ;)
And part time kids didn't, and still do not need a living wage. I Worked 20 to 25 hours a week all thru high school, which made my car payment(No mommy n daddy didn't give me a car.) My insurance, Gas, clothes and spending $$. Other than room and board I took care of my personal needs from age 15. I learned work skills, and good working habits, lived a better life than my parents income would have given me, and I am thankful for those jobs to this day.

And part time kids didn't, and still do not need a living wage. I Worked 20 to 25 hours a week all thru high school, which made my car payment(No mommy n daddy didn't give me a car.) My insurance, Gas, clothes and spending $$. Other than room and board I took care of my personal needs from age 15. I learned work skills, and good working habits, lived a better life than my parents income would have given me, and I am thankful for those jobs to this day.
You and I had similar experiences. My part-time and summer jobs not only kept me going, they had been nasty enough that they served as a constant reminder of how good I had it once I got a quote "real job" unquote.

My issue is with mega-companies like Walmart paying crap wages to its full-time staff and having all of us taxpayers subsidize the rest. Be you a Republican or a Democrat, I call that BS.

Reactions: ElprofesorJuan
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT