ADVERTISEMENT

Rio's Olympic venues 6 months later

It is ridiculous that the U.S. hasn't won more bids to host the Olympics or World Cup. The facilities on College Campuses alone are capable of hosting these events but the decision making is political.

Reactions: SublimeKnight
It is ridiculous that the U.S. hasn't won more bids to host the Olympics or World Cup. The facilities on College Campuses alone are capable of hosting these events but the decision making is political.
When the olympics were held in Atlanta, they used facilities at UGA, Georgia Tech, and some other smaller colleges in the area, along with some pro sports buildings.
They built the main Track and Field / ceremony stadium so that it could be renovated into a new stadium for the Braves. The Braves, this year, are now moving on to a new stadium and that stadium was bought by Georgia State (Sunbelt I think) to turned into their new football stadium.
In fact, the only new construction that has been demolished since those olympics 20 years ago, is the tennis complex as far as I know.

Bottom line, the richest country in the world has used and reused their olympic facility investments for over 20 years. Brazil has already thrown that entire investment away.

Part of me says, just permanently put the summer olympics in greece. The other part contrasts Atlanta to Rio and says these issues aren't caused by the olympics, but instead are just a side effect of the governments that host them.

When the olympics were held in Atlanta, they used facilities at UGA, Georgia Tech, and some other smaller colleges in the area, along with some pro sports buildings.
They built the main Track and Field / ceremony stadium so that it could be renovated into a new stadium for the Braves. The Braves, this year, are now moving on to a new stadium and that stadium was bought by Georgia State (Sunbelt I think) to turned into their new football stadium.
In fact, the only new construction that has been demolished since those olympics 20 years ago, is the tennis complex as far as I know.

Bottom line, the richest country in the world has used and reused their olympic facility investments for over 20 years. Brazil has already thrown that entire investment away.

Part of me says, just permanently put the summer olympics in greece. The other part contrasts Atlanta to Rio and says these issues aren't caused by the olympics, but instead are just a side effect of the governments that host them.
Don't forget that Brazil also built a few brand new soccer stadiums for the World Cup in 2014 - and those have gone fallow too.

Reactions: UCFWayne
Greece should be the permanent home
It really is the simple and obvious solution. The IOC headquarters could be moved there. They could have all the drug testing facilities there. All permanent. Facilities could be improved every olympics. If they want to allow countries to bid on creating the opening and closing ceremonies, fine. But re-building entire facilities every 2 years is just a stupid exercise for mankind.

It really is the simple and obvious solution. The IOC headquarters could be moved there. They could have all the drug testing facilities there. All permanent. Facilities could be improved every olympics. If they want to allow countries to bid on creating the opening and closing ceremonies, fine. But re-building entire facilities every 2 years is just a stupid exercise for mankind.

I don't think that's even really necessary. They could easily move the games around, just keep them in countries with already developed infrastructure that don't have to spend ungodly sums of money they don't have. They could easily rotate them between the US, Canada, western Europe, Australia, Japan, Korea.

Russia's Olympic venues are in the same shape. All the stadiums they're building for the World Cup will suffer the same fate. There really is no reason any of these things should ever be awarded to third world countries that can't afford to feed their own people yet spend billions on worthless facilities.

Russia's Olympic venues are in the same shape. All the stadiums they're building for the World Cup will suffer the same fate. There really is no reason any of these things should ever be awarded to third world countries that can't afford to feed their own people yet spend billions on worthless facilities.
the Governments of Brazil, Russia, etc are obsessed with hosting these events bc they think it elevates their place in the World and it will create a soft power

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT