Brandon

Publisher
Staff
May 28, 2001
Winter Park, FL
www.ucfsports.com
UCF posted the Here is the box score.

Opening statement:

"We swung the bats tremendously and did a nice job. Battled back, came from behind. Bottom line in these two games is we've got to pitch better. We gave up 26 runs in two games. You can't win. We got exposed a little bit. Pitching behind in the count, walking guys, pitching up in the zone. Just the basics of pitching. Credit Florida State. They had tremendous at-bats and have got an outstanding team. They took advantage of the mistakes. That makes them a great team. We've got to get back to the drawing board a little bit from a pitching standpoint specifically. We're swinging the bats really well. The key focus is to get our pitching staff back in line."

Trent Thompson was primarily responsible for Florida State's seven-run seventh inning (Tanner Olson allowed the final run of that inning).

"He's gonna get back out there. He's done a great job for us the entire year. He's gonna get back out there and have a good outing. I'm not worried about him. That's part of baseball. Sometimes you don't do things well. Today we didn't pitch very well. But credit Florida State. We'll get back to the drawing board, have a practice tomorrow and get ready for Fairfield."

Catcher Logan Heiser was a single away from the cycle with two home runs, a triple and a double totaling five RBI.

"Logan did a terrific job. Both our catchers are doing great. Savinon is doing great, Heiser, both offensively and behind the plate.

Final comment:

"Listen, Florida State has got an outstanding team. So much respect. They're very good. I told our guys you're going to get to a point in every season where you get down a little bit be it offense, defense, pitching. Obviously we didn't pitch for two days. That's a little bit concerning. We need to figure it out."

Logan Heiser was also interviewed. Had a monster day obviously which has shot him up to the top of the stats with an even .400 batting average and is now tied with Dylan Moore for the lead in HRs with four.

"I felt great today. It all started in BP. I was seeing the ball really well making solid contact on every single swing. That followed into the game. The ball looked really big today. I was able to square up on some balls and a couple of them were able to fly out of the park."

On FSU, he later added:

"Hopefully down the road we see them again."

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News