ADVERTISEMENT

***Ryan O'Keefe ready for the Bounce House to be 'electric' against Louisville ⚔🏈

Brandon

Publisher
Staff
May 28, 2001
Winter Park, FL
www.ucfsports.com

A season ago, UCF and Louisville were tied at 35 with the Knights driving for the game-winning score when a pick-six in the final seconds handed the win to the Cardinals. Knowing how that game left a sour taste in UCF's mouths, wide receiver Ryan O'Keefe is looking to return the favor when UL makes the return trip to Orlando this Friday night.

"This and the Cincy game are two that are circled on my list for sure," O'Keefe said.

As for last Thursday's season opener against South Carolina State, O'Keefe might have had the play of the game when he sprinted across the field to take down SCSU's Jeblonski Green on a fumble return, preventing him from scoring a touchdown. UCF's defense then kept the Bulldogs out of the end zone, forcing a field goal.

"It was exciting," O'Keefe said. "I felt like with the way our defense was playing, all I had to do was get the guy down and the defense would take care of it. That's exactly what happened."

O'Keefe wasn't the only player in pursuit on that play, including quarterback John Rhys Plumlee.

"(Gus Malzahn) also pointed out there were three or four other guys on offense chasing him," O'Keefe said. "I got the tackle. We had a bunch of guys getting to the ball... The fact (Plumlee) got up from getting sacked and then chased him down was impressive."

How did he rate Plumlee's UCF debut?

"I feel he showed he's a quarterback," O'Keefe said. "I felt a lot of people were questioning whether he could throw it or not. He came out and showed. He had 100 yards rushing and 300 yards passing. I feel like we've really got a dual-threat quarterback."

Among the receivers, Alabama transfer Javon Baker led the way with five catches for 84 yards and a touchdown.

"I feel Javon showed he's a dog," O'Keefe said. "Like I said, he's a special talent. He brings something different to the room. I think Knight Nation saw what he can do."

Freshman Xavier Townsend didn't log a catch a receiver, but showed a flash of how dynamic he could be on special teams. He returned a punt for a touchdown though the score was called back due to holding.

"I've been telling everybody he's a special kid," O'Keefe said. "I told him in the game, 'Catch the ball and make one guy miss and you're going to score.' That's exactly what happened."

O'Keefe finished with three receptions for 48 yards, though the bulk of those yards came on a 45-yard reception. He also rushed twice for a gain of 33 yards.

"I felt like I played better without the ball than with the ball in my hands this game," O'Keefe said. "I showed I can block. I did my thing when I got the opportunity. I'm ready for this week, for sure."

O'Keefe said Louisville's defense is athletic. He was surprised they lost 31-7 to Syracuse this past weekend.

"I feel like this game is going to tell a lot about our season," O'Keefe said. "They're a really talented team. What they showed last Saturday isn't really who they are. We're going to the best version of them. We've got to be the best version of ourselves and be ready to go."

He wants to see a raucous environment on Friday.

"I just want it to be electric," O'Keefe said. "It already is. Our fans are the best in the nation. I hope it's packed out and loud."

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News