ADVERTISEMENT

Sacks and TFLs

SimpleJack53

Bronze Knight
Oct 23, 2018
I swear JRP was running fornhis life all day. Somehow the stats only show 6 sacks and 8 TFLs this has to be giving our Oline more credit than they deserve.

On the flip side we had 0 sacks and 0 TFLs. Not good at all.

Recruiting should be easy all positions are open. QB lines, WR, everything is wide open.

Also, Gus needs to take January and think of 5 new plays our guys will excel at running. Not guys that arent on the roster but the guys we have. Everyone knows the 3 he runs now.

If not, i suppose we will still watch anyway. But this did not look like a top 20 offense even if the stat sheets say so. Running it up on overmatched opponents to lay eggs to those with a pulse is not great.

This is part of the reason why we don't cause many Turnovers on defense.

I swear JRP was running fornhis life all day. Somehow the stats only show 6 sacks and 8 TFLs this has to be giving our Oline more credit than they deserve.

On the flip side we had 0 sacks and 0 TFLs. Not good at all.

Recruiting should be easy all positions are open. QB lines, WR, everything is wide open.

Also, Gus needs to take January and think of 5 new plays our guys will excel at running. Not guys that arent on the roster but the guys we have. Everyone knows the 3 he runs now.

If not, i suppose we will still watch anyway. But this did not look like a top 20 offense even if the stat sheets say so. Running it up on overmatched opponents to lay eggs to those with a pulse is not great.

We give up a ton of sacks and TFL's however don't make any ourselves.

I’m not saying we have a great Oline but the criticism I often hear from fans when they watch a game and see the QB under lots of pressure is that the oline is the problem. But that criticism fails to take into account that it’s the QB’s positioning within the pocket, or decision to leave the pocket that often leads to sacks and pressures. The very best line can only give about 2.5 - 3 seconds of a clean pocket. An average oline might give 1.5 seconds. A competent QB know how to buy time within a collapsing pocket or get rid of the ball.

There were multiple plays today where the o line blocked up the defense and created a clean pocket but Plumlee left the pocket and found himself under immediate pressure. On one play the announcers commented that the defensive player did a great job getting around Bowser when in reality, Plumlee moved directly into the defender’s position from behind Bowsers protection. And it wasn’t because of pressure getting through the o line. He just rolled out because that’s what he does (b/c he’s not a seasoned QB).

Bottom line is that a run first QB puts more pressure on the o line because he moves to where they aren’t blocking and then the o line gets the blame for the pressure. I think this year’s UCF team with Plumlee at the helm perfectly illustrates this point.

I’m not saying we have a great Oline but the criticism I often hear from fans when they watch a game and see the QB under lots of pressure is that the oline is the problem. But that criticism fails to take into account that it’s the QB’s positioning within the pocket, or decision to leave the pocket that often leads to sacks and pressures. The very best line can only give about 2.5 - 3 seconds of a clean pocket. An average oline might give 1.5 seconds. A competent QB know how to buy time within a collapsing pocket or get rid of the ball.

There were multiple plays today where the o line blocked up the defense and created a clean pocket but Plumlee left the pocket and found himself under immediate pressure. On one play the announcers commented that the defensive player did a great job getting around Bowser when in reality, Plumlee moved directly into the defender’s position from behind Bowsers protection. And it wasn’t because of pressure getting through the o line. He just rolled out because that’s what he does (b/c he’s not a seasoned QB).

Bottom line is that a run first QB puts more pressure on the o line because he moves to where they aren’t blocking and then the o line gets the blame for the pressure. I think this year’s UCF team with Plumlee at the helm perfectly illustrates this point.
💯

What’s the excuse for when MK played and had constant pressure as well? It doesn’t matter what style QB we’ve had behind center, they have had no time to throw. Blame the OL or play calling, I blame both. Need a new OC and I’m hoping TC or Timmy impress so much in Spring that we can get a change at QB also. 3 weeks to prepare and it’s hot garbage.

What’s the excuse for when MK played and had constant pressure as well? It doesn’t matter what style QB we’ve had behind center, they have had no time to throw. Blame the OL or play calling, I blame both. Need a new OC and I’m hoping TC or Timmy impress so much in Spring that we can get a change at QB also. 3 weeks to prepare and it’s hot garbage.

I thought the oline blocked well for Keene against Cincy and Memphis. Don’t recall how they did against USF because I was in a stupor over the team’s collective meltdown. The only game I recall where UCF’s protection consistently broke down was against Navy. Otherwise, if a QB has 2-3 seconds of a clean pocket then the oline did its job. But as fans we don’t take notice of those plays. We only remember the plays where the QB gets 4+ seconds of a clean pocket (rare) or where the QB is pressured (which happens more often with a less seasoned QB who doesn’t know how to move in the pocket to avoid the flailing bodies all around him).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT