ADVERTISEMENT

Scrimmage highlights

AuburnLegacy_1

Silver Knight
Feb 4, 2022
Haven't heard any.

From listening to Gus's presser, Xavier Townsend has locked up the slot position.

The Lokahi Pauole experiment at center is over. He has moved back over to guard. Bula Schmidt and Caden Kitler will battle to decide the starting spot heading into the fall. Drake Metcalf could toughen the decision in fall camp. Pauole may have been cross-training in the event of emergency.

UCF has three (or four) tackles the staff is comfortable with in Grable, Marshall, Kight, and possibly Rubelt or Collins; three solid guards in Pauole, Harris, Kinnie, with Adrian Medley possibly factoring at some point.

I project the starting offensive line post spring to be Grable at LT, Kinnie at LG, Bula at C, Pauole at RG, and Marshall at RT, with Kight filling in as the extra tackle in jumbo sets.

Haven't heard any.

From listening to Gus's presser, Xavier Townsend has locked up the slot position.

The Lokahi Pauole experiment at center is over. He has moved back over to guard. Bula Schmidt and Caden Kitler will battle to decide the starting spot heading into the fall. Drake Metcalf could toughen the decision in fall camp. Pauole may have been cross-training in the event of emergency.

UCF has three (or four) tackles the staff is comfortable with in Grable, Marshall, Kight, and possibly Rubelt or Collins; three solid guards in Pauole, Harris, Kinnie, with Adrian Medley possibly factoring at some point.

I project the starting offensive line post spring to be Grable at LT, Kinnie at LG, Bula at C, Pauole at RG, and Marshall at RT, with Kight filling in as the extra tackle in jumbo sets.
The UCF OL- as a whole - is a very weak group. Hand has been unable to recruit high schools players or attract any top transfer OL. Basically, the same story that happened at Auburn and was a major factor in Gus Malhazan getting fired there.

The UCF OL- as a whole - is a very weak group. Hand has been unable to recruit high schools players or attract any top transfer OL. Basically, the same story that happened at Auburn and was a major factor in Gus Malhazan getting fired there.
I am going to have to call you out again. Gus's only weakness at Auburn was he struggled to land ELITE high school offensive tackles and develop high school quarterbacks. With the advent of the new transfer portal rules in 2020-23, Gus's recruiting weaknesses have been negated significantly.

Not only has UCF landed two transfer quarterbacks already under Gus, I would argue the quality of the UCF offensive line as a whole has improved more than any other position grouping since Malzahn took over.

Four transfer offensive tackles have enrolled at UCF. Two transfer guards (including a walk on). And a transfer center. Another transfer interior lineman will arrive this summer. Two of the five transfers prepped at nationally ranked, championship-winning high school programs. Meanwhile, Hand has landed HS center, guard, and tackle prospects as well.

UCF has 18 linemen on its roster. Fifteen or so on scholarship. Nine or 10 have started in the FBS.

Quantity has a quality of all its own.

Last edited:
I will believe we are good up front when I see it. As a former OL, I haven't seen it out of very many of our guys in the last 6 years or so. Honestly, the last really good OLine we had was 2013. Those guys were nasty and mean as a group. We have had some good players up front, but as a group, 2013 was the best. 2017 was really good, then they went vegan, and lost that killer instinct. Be honest, in the last 8 years, 1st and goal from the 3, how many times have you thought field goal. We just haven't been very physical up front. Not trying to be a nut hugger here, but you have to give credit where it is due. GOL teams were physical, maybe not that imaginative in the play calling, but very physical up front. 1st and goal from the 3, we were getting 6 under O'Leary. Since then, we seem more like the Dolphins of the 90's. Maybe we can throw it in, but we aren't likely to run it in. I know we do run it in, but it seems like guys like McCrae and Bowser had to run through somebody to get in. Or a speedster can outrun somebody to the corner. But the OL is not dominating, crushing people at the point of attack. That will be a serious liability if we don't fix that in the Big 12. Baylor is very stout on the D-Line. If we had trouble with Tulsa, Okie State is going to be even worse. The line of scrimmage is where we have to make the biggest improvement. We're fine at the skill positions, need depth at LB. But we have to be able to inflict our will on the defense with our OL if we want to be successful. We have to be able to get home with 4 pass rushers, and we need depth on both lines. It probably won't happen this year, but I believe it will happen soon. UCF has some really good looking prospects coming in, hopefully we can hang onto them and add quality depth/replacements behind them.

I do believe we have added quality on the OL with the transfer portal. I would like to see us add some quality HS OL and develop them. 3 star guys who don't expect to play from day 1 that you can mold into beasts. Guys who like to finish a play, play to the echo of the whistle.

I will believe we are good up front when I see it. As a former OL, I haven't seen it out of very many of our guys in the last 6 years or so. Honestly, the last really good OLine we had was 2013. Those guys were nasty and mean as a group. We have had some good players up front, but as a group, 2013 was the best. 2017 was really good, then they went vegan, and lost that killer instinct. Be honest, in the last 8 years, 1st and goal from the 3, how many times have you thought field goal. We just haven't been very physical up front. Not trying to be a nut hugger here, but you have to give credit where it is due. GOL teams were physical, maybe not that imaginative in the play calling, but very physical up front. 1st and goal from the 3, we were getting 6 under O'Leary. Since then, we seem more like the Dolphins of the 90's. Maybe we can throw it in, but we aren't likely to run it in. I know we do run it in, but it seems like guys like McCrae and Bowser had to run through somebody to get in. Or a speedster can outrun somebody to the corner. But the OL is not dominating, crushing people at the point of attack. That will be a serious liability if we don't fix that in the Big 12. Baylor is very stout on the D-Line. If we had trouble with Tulsa, Okie State is going to be even worse. The line of scrimmage is where we have to make the biggest improvement. We're fine at the skill positions, need depth at LB. But we have to be able to inflict our will on the defense with our OL if we want to be successful. We have to be able to get home with 4 pass rushers, and we need depth on both lines. It probably won't happen this year, but I believe it will happen soon. UCF has some really good looking prospects coming in, hopefully we can hang onto them and add quality depth/replacements behind them.
To clarify, I am in no way classifying this group as Earth movers. I am simply saying the 2023 OL should be "competent" in the Big 12.

I think Herb Hand can fashion this group into a unit that 'won't get UCF beat' or rank at the very bottom statistically in the Big 12.

As far as physicality, UCF in my opinion is trending the wrong direction. Taking transfers from Alabama, Kent State, and Fresno State suggests UCF intends to throw the football more next season. Perhaps moving into this pass happy league has inspired Gus to throw more and use tempo more in an effort to score more points.

The whole philosophical change on defense about 'causing more turnovers' and 'creating more negative plays' recks of Gus trying to generate more scoring opportunities on offense.

As a result, I foresee JRP (or whoever the UCF quarterback ends up being) throwing for more than 3,000 yards next season, but I do not anticipate UCF continuing to rank among the top 10 nationally in rushing.

Last edited:
I am going to have to call you out again. Gus's only weakness at Auburn was he struggled to land ELITE high school offensive tackles and develop high school quarterbacks. With the advent of the new transfer portal rules in 2020-23, Gus's recruiting weaknesses have been negated significantly.

Not only has UCF landed two transfer quarterbacks already under Gus, I would argue the quality of the UCF offensive line as a whole has improved more than any other position grouping since Malzahn took over.

Four transfer offensive tackles have enrolled at UCF. Two transfer guards (including a walk on). And a transfer center. Another transfer interior lineman will arrive this summer. Two of the five transfers prepped at nationally ranked, championship-winning high school programs. Meanwhile, Hand has landed HS center, guard, and tackle prospects as well.

UCF has 18 linemen on its roster. Fifteen or so on scholarship. Nine or 10 have started in the FBS.

Quantity has a quality of all its own.
Cool story bruh. You want to debate UCF QB’s or OL with me? You want to go mano-a- mano? “Quantity has a quality of its own”. Lol. I doesn’t matter if you have 50 OL on the roster… if they are all mid or suck. Only five OL, usually, play at a time.

Let’s start with QB. JRP is going to start…that is a given. Start with him. Debate me. I’ll expose you for someone trying very hard to gaslight these fans.

Last edited:
  • Dislike
Reactions: U C to the F
Cool story bruh. You want to debate UCF QB’s or OL with me? You want to go mano-a- mano? “Quantity has a quality of its own”. Lol. I doesn’t matter if you have 50 OL on the roster… if they are all mid or suck. Only five OL, usually, play at a time.
Firstly, you have failed miserably every time you have challenged me. You might want to target a poster more your speed.
Let’s start with QB. JRP is going to start…that is a given. Start with him. Debate me. I’ll expose you for someone trying very hard to gaslight these fans.
Secondly, I never said JRP wasn't going to start. I said JRP (or whoever starts at QB for UCF) will throw for 3,000 yards. Gus is going to throw more this season. Lest you forget Tulsa, with Gus as OC, produced the NCAA's first 5,000-yard single season passer once upon a time. No. I am not suggesting UCF will throw that much, but I am saying a more consorted effort is being made for UCF to throw more this fall.

Thirdly, I am the one who shouted from the rooftops all offseason that UCF needed to sign another portal quarterback, specifically Spencer Sanders. Most on here were content with Timmy McClain, who has generated zero buzz through the first seven practices. JRP and Tommy Castellanos have gotten all the praise.

Fourthly, I cannot predict JRP will make it through spring and fall camp healthy, so I cannot say with certainty that he will be the starting quarterback. I can say that he will be the starter short of a catastrophic career-ending injury.

Fifthly, logic says that most fifth-year senior incumbent quarterbacks, who threw for 2500 yards, rushed for 800 yards, and accounted for 25 touchdowns the year prior, will retain their starting status. You're not exactly Nostradamus if you are predicting JRP will be the starting quarterback.

EDIT: Sixthly, why don't you do what those Hurricane basketball players you love so much do and "buy* a replica Miami University diploma so you, too, can "graduate" and declare for the draft while you simultaneously enter the transfer portal?

That way if you aren't fortunate enough to land a spot on a Miami Dolphins or Heat forum, you will still have a chance to transfer your username and profile to a more successful ACC message board like Tiger illustrated or maybe The Osceola--and leave these UCF fans the hell alone!

Last edited:
EXACTLY! I'll only believe it when I see it. UGH!

Reactions: PhDee
Firstly, you have failed miserably every time you have challenged me. You might want to target a poster more your speed.
Yes, you have bitch slapped him at every turn…..but since Lobotomy is a drooling idiot with literally half a brain not much of a victory.

The thing that bothered me about McClain last year is that we didn’t hear any reports how he was doing on the practice squad, when we heard Bowman was killing it…..in that business no news is bad news.

We were never in play for Sanders….. but there were probable upgrades that we should have been able to get, but didn’t. I honestly think Gus made a career ending decision by not trying on that, unless there is lightning in a bottle from someone on the team.

But unless that happens, I don’t see us going to a bowl and we will be coach shopping by Christmas.

OL and DB seem to be our two groups this year of most concern from limited info we have. I'm hoping that LB group goes to number 3 in this category but we shall see.

I agree with earlier comment that nasty OL is something that GOL staff harped on more than these last coaching groups. Last season's pass blocking wasn't that great and so we need to be better than last season and NOT use them as a measuring stick.

Again OL play in the Big 12 will define our season in 2023.

I am surprised to hear such high praise for Paul Rubelt. I do not know what happened from last year till now, but somehow the light has come on. It sounds as though Rubelt has won the reserve role at LT. Marshall manning LG may become permanent in an effort to the get the best five linemen on the field:

LT Grable
LG Marshall
C Who's On First
RG Pauole
RT Kight

It is concerning to hear Hand say how "excited" he is about getting a player--not currently on the roster--"in the mix" at center. When asked directly about Bula, Kitler, and Cline, Hand never mentioned Cline, but opted instead to bring up the signing of Drake Metcalf.

Generally speaking, it is seldom a good sign when coaches bring up players who are not the team as being "in the mix" for a starting spot when position battle is ensuring during the spring.

Last edited:
Would be nice to see some actual highlight videos like this thread suggests. Man, it’s so damn locked down, I feel like this is the least we have ever seen from Spring/Fall ball.
Gus may be the most paranoid and controlling football coach in the nation and that is saying something because football coaches in general are already a paranoid lot.

Gus won't even allow the spring game to be televised. I don't even know how he manages to control that in this era where TV runs every aspect of sport.

Gus may be the most paranoid and controlling football coach in the nation and that is saying something because football coaches in general are already a paranoid lot.

Gus won't even allow the spring game to be televised. I don't even know how he manages to control that in this era where TV runs every aspect of sport.
I think Frost cut off media from practices too.

Paul’s familiarity with position and foot work seem to be improving. We’ve had many large body players in the past try to get into the OL and DL starting rotation. Paul may be first to break into the starting rotation.

Paul’s familiarity with position and foot work seem to be improving. We’ve had many large body players in the past try to get into the OL and DL starting rotation. Paul may be first to break into the starting rotation.
He just looked glacially slow out there last year, and doesn’t have the body type for a IOL.

Would be nice to see some actual highlight videos like this thread suggests. Man, it’s so damn locked down, I feel like this is the least we have ever seen from Spring/Fall ball.
It is so annoying and bad for the fans. and the competitive advantage excuse is overblown when you see how open NFL training camp practices are

I would rather watch a practice or two over the Spring game

Our OL has suffered ever since we stopped recruiting Germany...
One of them is already in the "pros" ..

Demarkcus Bowman
--Named 2018 Florida 7A player of the year, first-team all-state and Polk County Player of the Year for team that won Florida state crown at 15-0

Philadelphia 76Ers Basketball GIF

If he gives that kind of effort in practice, the sky is the limit during the actual game.

Last edited:
I do believe we have added quality on the OL with the transfer portal. I would like to see us add some quality HS OL and develop them. 3 star guys who don't expect to play from day 1 that you can mold into beasts. Guys who like to finish a play, play to the echo of the whistle.
I think we have done that with guys like Rubelt, Medley, Kitler, Cline, Maldonado and Mort. They are all in various stages of development.

Would be nice to hear about new offense that's getting installed and if it looks any different than before and what we can expect. You don't have to give us the playbook to talk about formations, pre-snap movement and personnel groupings.

Would be nice to hear about new offense that's getting installed and if it looks any different than before and what we can expect. You don't have to give us the playbook to talk about formations, pre-snap movement and personnel groupings.
the lack of access is dumb. won’t even allow the Spring game to be streamed when everyone else does

the lack of access is dumb. won’t even allow the Spring game to be streamed when everyone else does
No reason to not have an ESPN+ or even a ESPN- lower budget deal stream it with Marc Daniels calling it. If they can make it work for the ESPN+ calling the baseball games, why not the spring game?

Marc Daniels is a pro and a quality play by play guy with a wealth of knowledge and charisma. Never appreciated him more than when I flipped on an ESPN+ baseball game of usf and Marc was doing the UCF ball game simultaneously. It was night and day.

I think Frost cut off media from practices too.
2014 was the last year O'Leary opened practice to the public. Loved going to practice. It was intimate. I think many could read the writing on the wall in 2015 when O'Leary closed practice to the public. I didn't renew my season tickets that year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT