ADVERTISEMENT

SEC-B1G Announcement

To the surprise of no one, the SEC and BIG are contractually obligated by the advertisers to take 9 of the 12 spots in the new invitational. Here to for referred to as the College Football "playoff"

Reactions: major.tom.foolery
Then it will STILL be just an invitational, that will have 3 loss teams who didn't sniff a conference championship game....yea

Reactions: major.tom.foolery
To the surprise of no one, the SEC and BIG are contractually obligated by the advertisers to take 9 of the 12 spots in the new invitational. Here to for referred to as the College Football "playoff"
Nine? I suspect the plan is for the SEC-B1G to add a few more teams, drop the NCAA, then negotiate directly with the networks for a Mega-$$$ CFB playoff deal that will ultimately give them all twelve.

OU, Texas, Oregon, Washington, USC, and UCLA said good-bye to their long-time conferences for a reason.

You people need to understand that outside of the SEC and Big 10 there are ONLY four national brands in college football and ZERO are in the Big 12. You UCF fans literally have no say in anything and neither does your lame duck Big 12 commissioner.

You people need to understand that outside of the SEC and Big 10 there are ONLY four national brands in college football and ZERO are in the Big 12. You UCF fans literally have no say in anything and neither does your lame duck Big 12 commissioner.
After next Wednesday, I will no longer post in this forum. Seriously, it’s not fun when UCF is struggling…going 6-6 and Kingdom NIL without the money to attract top portal transfers.

correct, FSU, ND, Clemson, NC.

We all miss the quiet week where you sat lonely on UM boards

The End Game from all the recent conference reallignments is coming...

These Conferences together would have power, but they wouldn't run the show alone. The media (and its insatiable need for content) is required and would continue to dictate terms based on "where the money is". To counteract this, the B12 and ACC should merge and form its own powerhouse. They should add the remaining B12 schools that want to join and take advantage of the short-term spoils that come with the "old" P12. Then divide into Western and Eastern Divisions. That will give the media plenty of content across all time zones. It's all about what ESPN, FOX, NBC, CBS, the streamers (and whoever else will pay the big bucks for content) determines would be best. And 4 teams from each Conference in the 12-team playoff, although still a little one-sided, would be a reasonable move. There would be a pecking order, but it would establish a 3 Conference powerhouse.

These Conferences together would have power, but they wouldn't run the show alone.
They wouldn't? Who's going to stop them? The remaining high profile programs desperately want to join them.
The media (and its insatiable need for content) is required and would continue to dictate terms based on "where the money is".
The SEC and the B1G are “where the money is."

From the moment OU and Texas left the Big 12, all signs pointed to this. The new mega-$$$ is in the new playoff format (CFB's version of March Madness) and the Big Dawgs don't intend to share that payday with the NCAA.

if it got to that the ratings of the Sport would tank . You need viewers of schools not in those leagues. Why would they watch an inferior football product of only a select 32-40 schools that doesn’t include their Alma Mater when they can just watch the NFL?

Reactions: CBlackwellRN
These Conferences together would have power, but they wouldn't run the show alone. The media (and its insatiable need for content) is required and would continue to dictate terms based on "where the money is". To counteract this, the B12 and ACC should merge and form its own powerhouse. They should add the remaining B12 schools that want to join and take advantage of the short-term spoils that come with the "old" P12. Then divide into Western and Eastern Divisions. That will give the media plenty of content across all time zones. It's all about what ESPN, FOX, NBC, CBS, the streamers (and whoever else will pay the big bucks for content) determines would be best. And 4 teams from each Conference in the 12-team playoff, although still a little one-sided, would be a reasonable move. There would be a pecking order, but it would establish a 3 Conference powerhouse.

The decisions being made the last few years seems to be orchestrated by media like ESPN, they are in the backrooms with the conferences and schools.

Reactions: Oldest Man
if it got to that the ratings of the Sport would tank . You need viewers of schools not in those leagues. Why would they watch an inferior football product of only a select 32-40 schools that doesn’t include their Alma Mater when they can just watch the NFL?

There is articles out there that show a huge portion of the ratings is devoted to handful of schools. A lot of the TV ratings are not from people who watch their Alma Mater.

Not unlike other sports where there can be massive followings for franchises by people who have no affiliation to the location.

This move obviously is a dagger to devoted alumni of programs hurt by it, but it by no means is the majority of general college football viewership.

There is articles out there that show a huge portion of the ratings is devoted to handful of schools. A lot of the TV ratings are not from people who watch their Alma Mater.

Not unlike other sports where there can be massive followings for franchises by people who have no affiliation to the location.

This move obviously is a dagger to devoted alumni of programs hurt by it, but it by no means is the majority of general college football viewership.
Disagree . a lot of fans of UCF, Texas Tech , etc are watching those games bc it is perceived as the same level . Yes there are Blue Bloods but the interest would go down if there is an official ‘you are not part of the club and never will be’.

I wouldn’t watch a minor league big10-sec.
My alma mater is rarely in The Big Dance but I'm still a big fan. Same will be the case for most sports fans with a college football equivalent.

Trust me, a 12-team tournament to determine a national champion will generate mega-ratings. The Big Dawgs who will make up the vast majority of the contestants have seen the future and don't want to see all that money going to the NCAA.

My alma mater is rarely in The Big Dance but I'm still a big fan. Same will be the case for most sports fans with a college football equivalent.

Trust me, a 12-team tournament to determine a national champion will generate mega-ratings. The Big Dawgs who will make up the vast majority of the contestants have seen the future and don't want to see all that money going to the NCAA.
Yeah but if it’s just two conferences in it. I’m out. Could care less. I also think more people will not watch as they will essential become the usfl where most fans have no team to care for.

They wouldn't? Who's going to stop them? The remaining high profile programs desperately want to join them.

The SEC and the B1G are “where the money is."

From the moment OU and Texas left the Big 12, all signs pointed to this. The new mega-$$$ is in the new playoff format (CFB's version of March Madness) and the Big Dawgs don't intend to share that payday with the NCAA.
I disagree that the SEC and B1G are the only conferences where the money is....a combined ACC and B12 would be as well. And that's football....in basketball the combined conference would rule.

Yeah but if it’s just two conferences in it. I’m out. Could care less. I also think more people will not watch as they will essential become the usfl where most fans have no team to care for.
I suspect 36 teams (SEC/B1G) will likely survive without your television interest and will likely generate a lot more money per institution than profit sharing among 64 programs (ACCz/Big 12) in the rest of the P5.

An SEC/B1G conglomerate making $700 million shared among 36 teams would lose massive amounts of money per school sharing $900 million among 64 teams.

I wouldn’t watch a minor league big10-sec.
I don’t watch garbage Big10 either way. Outside of OSU and Michigan, it’s a conference with boring brands and schools who’s best years are behind them. The Pac schools could help, but most of the country doesn’t watch them due to their late time slots. The sole purpose they make the most money is b/c of their large alumni and TV audience, not b/c they are the best teams. SEC on the other hand, upper half of the league at least, I get it.

@DaShuckster @Gwoz & @AuburnLegacy_1

“You will watch Washington at Nebraska when UCF is left behind”
vultouri.jpg

I disagree that the SEC and B1G are the only conferences where the money is....a combined ACC and B12 would be as well.
Really? The big money dished out to conferences is due to TV ratings.

Last year 23 CFB teams were involved in a game or games that drew over $5 million TV viewers. 18 of those 23 teams are (or soon will be) in the SEC or B1G: The other five? Army, Navy, Florida State, Clemson, and Miami.
And that's football....in basketball the combined conference would rule.
Kansas, Duke, and North Carolina were stunned to learn a long time ago that college basketball supremacy meant diddily-squat when it came to being attractive enough for consideration by one of the Big Dawg Conferences. North Carolina MIGHT still make it, but it won't be because of basketball.

We had this same argument a month or 2 ago already. Half of viewing audience would be lost when those schools can’t even participate no matter what. I don’t watch the 2nd half of game as it is. Do people think the basketball tournament would change too? It would have to and disrupt that cash cow.

We had this same argument a month or 2 ago already.
Back then it was speculation based on the latest rash of conference realignments. The current payouts in the SEC and the B1G didn't support the moves. Why would more teams be invited to the party when the current TV deals meant everybody would end up getting smaller shares? It made no sense. The only explanation was that the two conferences were positioning themselves for a much bigger payout down the road.

Friday was the first tangible sign that the final act has begun.

Really? The big money dished out to conferences is due to TV ratings.

Last year 23 CFB teams were involved in a game or games that drew over $5 million TV viewers. 18 of those 23 teams are (or soon will be) in the SEC or B1G: The other five? Army, Navy, Florida State, Clemson, and Miami.

Kansas, Duke, and North Carolina were stunned to learn a long time ago that college basketball supremacy meant diddily-squat when it came to being attractive enough for consideration by one of the Big Dawg Conferences. North Carolina MIGHT still make it, but it won't be because of basketball.
I call bull shit...take off your tin foil hat and bookmark this. There will be at least 3 Conferences 5 years from now and remember, if the only options include watching Indiana play Rutgers (or choose 4 or 5 or more other names in the new B1G) or Vanderbilt play Arkansas (or choose 4 or 5 or more other names in the new SEC) there will be a whole lot of blowback and the big money won't live with that blowback for long. Yes, the most eyeballs are generated by a few teams but they're not enough. Those that control the purse strings want more options and they'll get them before they go all in on 2 conferences.

I understand the media dollars, markets and brands drive CFB. However, B12 football needs to focus on what it can control…on field results. We need to win our fair share of out of conference games against SEC and Big10 next couple of years AND win it all this year!!! Charge On!!

I call bull shit...take off your tin foil hat and bookmark this. There will be at least 3 Conferences 5 years from now ...
Of course there will still be conferences beyond the SEC and B1G. I'm sure the Big 12 will be one of them.

The only big change on the horizon is that the SEC and B1G will be going off on their own with their own regular season and playoff TV deals. But nothing will stop the members of the Big 12, the ACC, and the others from playing for conference championships and going to bowl games. And nothing will keep unbeaten teams outside of the SEC and B1G from claiming national championships like UCF did in 2017. It's all good.

Disagree . a lot of fans of UCF, Texas Tech , etc are watching those games bc it is perceived as the same level . Yes there are Blue Bloods but the interest would go down if there is an official ‘you are not part of the club and never will be’.
In addition, a lot of that viewership is happening before/after games are being played by viewers’ Alma maters. I really don’t care about any other teams besides UCF. But if UCF is away and I’m watching from TV at home, you can bet I’m watching college football all day that day. I don’t really care which teams I’m watching if it’s an entertaining matchup.

How much of that money is funneled to the NCAA? The conferences are the entities that get paid for these games, right? Correct me if I’m wrong, but the NCAA is funded by essentially membership dues from its members, not revenue shares from games. Am I wrong on this?

Of course there will still be conferences beyond the SEC and B1G. I'm sure the Big 12 will be one of them.

The only big change on the horizon is that the SEC and B1G will be going off on their own with their own regular season and playoff TV deals. But nothing will stop the members of the Big 12, the ACC, and the others from playing for conference championships and going to bowl games. And nothing will keep unbeaten teams outside of the SEC and B1G from claiming national championships like UCF did in 2017. It's all good.
And excluding the SEC and B1G from march madness.

How much of that money is funneled to the NCAA? The conferences are the entities that get paid for these games, right?
Wrong. The lion's share of the money goes to the NCAA.

The NCAA earned over $1.1 BILLION in 2022. The revenue comes from broadcast rights, ticket sales, corporate sponsorships and advertising. The conferences of participating teams (unless its an independent) get around $350,000 per game. How the conferences divy it up depends on the conference.

If those are the numbers for a college basketball national tourney, one can only imagine the coin we're talking about for a true college football national tourney. The bag of gold it will generate is why OU and Texas left the Big 12 for the SEC.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT