ADVERTISEMENT

Senate votes on ISPs

There will be an opportunity here for ISPs that don't collect data. They can charge a premium.

I don't like it but if you're purchasing a service from someone they can put whatever stipulations/restrictions/etc they want on it. You are not forced to purchase the service from them.

There will be an opportunity here for ISPs that don't collect data. They can charge a premium.

I don't like it but if you're purchasing a service from someone they can put whatever stipulations/restrictions/etc they want on it. You are not forced to purchase the service from them.
But that's the case today. The FCC rules don't prohibit ISPs from selling your data now, they just force ISPs to disclose that fact to consumers, so they can make that choice. Repealing this rule will allow ISPs to do it without consumer knowledge. I guess the cost of mailing out all those privacy notices is what's killing the ISP business.

That doesn't change what I said. If you don't like the service you're paying for don't buy it or get it somewhere else.

That doesn't change what I said. If you don't like the service you're paying for don't buy it or get it somewhere else.
the point is you don't know they are selling your stuff. They don't have to tell you. How can you know if you don't like your service without all of the facts?

Reactions: UCFWayne
the point is you don't know they are selling your stuff. They don't have to tell you. How can you know if you don't like your service without all of the facts?

There can be companies out there that market that they are not going to collect your data and sell it. If they lie about that, they will be open to massive lawsuits. If there is a demand, it will be served. And you do know they're selling your stuff, if this passes you just assume they are unless told otherwise.

Accept in many cases, people only have 1 ISP to chose from.

Seriously, screw this bill.

There can be companies out there that market that they are not going to collect your data and sell it. If they lie about that, they will be open to massive lawsuits. If there is a demand, it will be served. And you do know they're selling your stuff, if this passes you just assume they are unless told otherwise.
What is the benefit to consumers by not requiring companies to disclose selling of private data (your entire search history)? The benefit to companies is more profits, but what is the benefit to a consumer? Benefit to politicians is more $$$ to their campaigns. Consumer? none.

Also this is a very slippery slope. Really sets a bad precedent.

Reactions: ProAttitude
Accept in many cases, people only have 1 ISP to chose from.

Seriously, screw this bill.

I live in the middle of no where and have four options. The other option is don't have internet.

What is the benefit to consumers by not requiring companies to disclose selling of private data (your entire search history)? The benefit to companies is more profits, but what is the benefit to a consumer? Benefit to politicians is more $$$ to their campaigns. Consumer? none.

Also this is a very slippery slope. Really sets a bad precedent.

That is what companies are created for. To make a profit, not benefit consumers. Consumers have the choice of whom to purchase from.

Why aren't people throwing a hissy fit over the data that grocery and department stores gather about your buying habits? Use your credit card or debit card? SHOPPING HABITS TRACKED.

Connect to the stores free wifi with your phone? SHOPPING HABITS TRACKED! Potentially even the location of where you are in the store, how long you spend in certain aisles or in front of displays. CRAZY.

Drive a car? TRACKED.

Accept cookies from websites? TRACKED!

Flavor of the week imo.

Reactions: Knight_Light
I live in the middle of no where and have four options. The other option is don't have internet.

That is what companies are created for. To make a profit, not benefit consumers. Consumers have the choice of whom to purchase from.
if a company is only around to make a profit whats going to stop them from claiming to not sell data, collect the premium you are gonna pay for that and then sell it anyway? They;'ll get a huge profit bump from that for sure and no one will ever know.

Why aren't people throwing a hissy fit over the data that grocery and department stores gather about your buying habits? Use your credit card or debit card? SHOPPING HABITS TRACKED.

Connect to the stores free wifi with your phone? SHOPPING HABITS TRACKED! Potentially even the location of where you are in the store, how long you spend in certain aisles or in front of displays. CRAZY.

Drive a car? TRACKED.

Flavor of the week imo.
all of those are disclosed. Surely you can see the difference between being required to disclose selling your private data and not?

if a company is only around to make a profit whats going to stop them from claiming to not sell data, collect the premium you are gonna pay for that and then sell it anyway? They;'ll get a huge profit bump from that for sure and no one will ever know.

People will find out and sue them and they will payout massive amounts and money and people will go to jail. These companies have thousands of employees, they won't be able to keep data collection secret. The US spy agencies can't even keep that secret.

People will find out and sue them and they will payout massive amounts and money and people will go to jail. These companies have thousands of employees, they won't be able to keep data collection secret. The US spy agencies can't even keep that secret.
why should it even be illegal for companies to lie? Customers should just assume all companies are lying and choose the one they like the best. Companies are in business to make a profit and sometimes lying is the best way to do that.

all of those are disclosed. Surely you can see the difference between being required to disclose selling your private data and not?
Disclosed? Where!? You sign an agreement with Publix every time you purchase something with a credit card? You authorize the purchase with a signature not sign a PUblix TOS. I've never read the TOS for free wifi so I don't know what's in there...

I certainly didn't sign up to be tracked via sunpass or tracked via traffic camera and facial recognition software.

Come on now...

Drive a car? TRACKED.

Flavor of the week imo.
No doubt they are collecting your data. That's for their own use. There is a difference in them collecting it for their own use and selling it for others to use.

Disclosed? Where!? You sign an agreement with Publix every time you purchase something with a credit card? You authorize the purchase with a signature not sign a PUblix TOS. I've never read the TOS for free wifi so I don't know what's in there...

I certainly didn't sign up to be tracked via sunpass or tracked via traffic camera and facial recognition software.

Come on now...
some of those are true concerns and something that also need to be addressed if true.

No doubt they are collecting your data. That's for their own use. There is a difference in them collecting it for their own use and selling it for others to use.
I do not know what they do with this data, and neither do you. It would not surprise me if this data was sold.

I think it is all poppycock and the powers that be will do whatever they want as usual see also most things.

Thats nice that you have the option. Like I said before, there are big sections of the country that simply dont have that option.

Why are you ok with giving up your privacy so easily?

But they do have options. If I have options, everyone does. There are two satellite providers, everyone has access to dial up or DSL, everyone has the option to not have it all.

I'm not OK with giving up my privacy. I'm OK with allowing businesses to do what they want without government interference and allowing the free market to decide what companies can and cannot do.

But they do have options. If I have options, everyone does. There are two satellite providers, everyone has access to dial up or DSL, everyone has the option to not have it all.
You have n idea WTF you are talking about here Bob. Sorry but I can take you to many spots in rural volusia county that only have access to one shitty internet service

You have n idea WTF you are talking about here Bob. Sorry but I can take you to many spots in rural volusia county that only have access to one shitty internet service

There are two satellite providers that cover all of Florida, this is what I use, and then everyone has access to crappy dial up.

I bet if this bill were brought up under the Obama admin, btk would have problems with it.

Presidents don't control the legislative process.

I've never cared about this "privacy" stuff. Google already knows everything about me, literally everything and it is a great convenience.

Presidents don't control the legislative process.

I've never cared about this "privacy" stuff. Google already knows everything about me, literally everything and it is a great convenience.
In one thread you are completely against spying, but this thread your totally cool with it.

In one thread you are completely against spying, but this thread your totally cool with it.

Regardless of the issues at hand here- this is not spying. If you buy a service knowing up front that your mined data will be collected and possibly sold, you have full disclosure and it's not spying.

Spying is taking information secretively without any attempt to notify the person.

How do you morons get through every day life without the slightest idea how exploitation works, and why it is damaging to our so-called "freedom?"

How do you morons get through every day life without the slightest idea how exploitation works, and why it is damaging to our so-called "freedom?"

Says the guy who has been exploited by the fried food indistry his entire life.

Regardless of the issues at hand here- this is not spying. If you buy a service knowing up front that your mined data will be collected and possibly sold, you have full disclosure and it's not spying.

Spying is taking information secretively without any attempt to notify the person.
thats the point they will no longer be required to notify you they are taking and selling your data

Bob, 85, and our Republican lawmakers, are toolbags.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT