ADVERTISEMENT

Senate votes on ISPs

And now that they can sell my data, do they give me an option to opt out? Maybe if they sell my data can I have cheaper internet? Can I pay more so they dont?

Hey look- you just described a competitive market dynamic that will now exist.

Since my data is already being sold and traded amongst many various companies that operate web based services, I will gladly take a break on my internet bill if I agree to let them sell my boring information to some company that thinks it's important.

Since my data is already being sold and traded amongst many various companies that operate web based services, I will gladly take a break on my internet bill if I agree to let them sell my boring information to some company that thinks it's important.
The point is, they still do not have to tell you, which is complete crap. I may be ok with it if they are up front about it and provide me with options. Likely, companies will not tell any of their customers.

the point is they aren't going to tell you they are selling your info and also aren't going to give you a break on your bill for it. They don't have to ask your permission or let you know at all. They are just going to do it. Consumer will get nothing out of this bill.

Reactions: UCFWayne
Wahhh!! Google can collect and sell my data but how dare Verizon do the same!!! Wahhh!!!

'MURICA!!!! FREEDOM!!!!!!!
Well, looks like Republicans lost another leg to stand on after they sold our privacy off for a few bucks. Keep telling us all about your freedom... keep on telling us.

After reading more into this, I've changed my position. This isn't the panic-worthy issue it's been portrayed in the media. Here's why:

1. It's a rule that hadn't even gone into effect yet - and wasn't scheduled to until 2019. In essence, this vote keeps the status quo.
2. It would have put ISPs under scrutiny from both the FTC and FCC. Having one federal bureaucracy regulate them is enough and the FCC already has a decent privacy rule, albeit one that's more vague than the rule just stricken.

After reading more into this, I've changed my position. This isn't the panic-worthy issue it's been portrayed in the media. Here's why:

1. It's a rule that hadn't even gone into effect yet - and wasn't scheduled to until 2019. In essence, this vote keeps the status quo.
2. It would have put ISPs under scrutiny from both the FTC and FCC. Having one federal bureaucracy regulate them is enough and the FCC already has a decent privacy rule, albeit one that's more vague than the rule just stricken.

Nope - this is just EVIL REPUBLICANS!!!!!!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT