ADVERTISEMENT

Sitting Out the Bowl Games

KnightVision82

Diamond Knight
Jan 26, 2004
This is the year of the start of the avalanche of players sitting out the bowl games.

Will this become a problem for the college football playoff system (and its expansion)?

The best way to nip this in the butt is to offer money from each post season game cost/revenue towards player's insurance availability based on their ranking to be drafted high.

This is the year of the start of the avalanche of players sitting out the bowl games.

Will this become a problem for the college football playoff system (and its expansion)?

The best way to nip this in the butt is to offer money from each post season game cost/revenue towards player's insurance availability based on their ranking to be drafted high.
Schools already offer to buy them insurance

Reactions: UCFBS
It won't be an issue until it's a player who's team is in the playoff. That's when discussion about addressing it will begin.

Reactions: muckdawg24
If I’m NFL bound as a projected 3rd round or better, I’m sitting regardless who offers me whatever. I don’t care if my mom dad and brothers are coaching. This is their ultimate goal and ultimate paycheck.

The games need to mean something if you want players to play. Expand the playoffs, get rid of most of the bowl games.

The games need to mean something if you want players to play. Expand the playoffs, get rid of most of the bowl games.

If expanding the playoffs means potentially more games in a season than there is now. You will see more players skipping out. Doesn't matter what the game means, it's still not going to equate to millions of dollars.

Get rid of most bowl games. Your crazy. UCF was 9 and 2 with Daunte and no bowl game. Pundits say too many games. Then don't watch, ESPN would just be showing a meaninglessness hoops game of out of conference teams. In the late 90's Marshall lost one game and didn't go bowling.

Get rid of most bowl games. Your crazy. UCF was 9 and 2 with Daunte and no bowl game. Pundits say too many games. Then don't watch, ESPN would just be showing a meaninglessness hoops game of out of conference teams. In the late 90's Marshall lost one game and didn't go bowling.
That was when there were 20 or so games. There are 40 now. 80 teams get a Bowl. Meaningless!! Get a huge playoff instead.

Yeah, I think it is somewhat ridiculous having 2/3 of all teams going to a bowl game.

Getting invited to any bowl game was more of an honor in the past. Now it seems that the majority of the bowl games are just an extension of the regular season.

Reactions: SullyUCF10
You could still get rid of half of them and just increase the number of wins required for eligibility. 8 wins seems about right.

The reason it didn't work in previous years was because there weren't rules that said teams with a certain number of wins had to be selected before teams with fewer, and conference tie-ins simply ruled. Being independent, Daunte didn't go to a bowl.

You could still get rid of half of them and just increase the number of wins required for eligibility. 8 wins seems about right.

The reason it didn't work in previous years was because there weren't rules that said teams with a certain number of wins had to be selected before teams with fewer, and conference tie-ins simply ruled. Being independent, Daunte didn't go to a bowl.
It was also more about selling tickets. Hawaii in Hawaii Bowl would sell more than we would have.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT