ADVERTISEMENT

So how do you feel about the defense against Tulsa

knight_tracker

Silver Knight
Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
How did they give up 34 points. They made some great plays, but played very inconsistent with little pressure on the QB. How do you play inconsistent in the 11th game of season? At times they played lights out and other times they are chasing their tails. :sunglasses:

How did they give up 34 points. They made some great plays, but played very inconsistent with little pressure on the QB. How do you play inconsistent in the 11th game of season? At times they played lights out and other times they are chasing their tails. :sunglasses:
Because Heupel's offense goes 3 and out way too much. Look at Tulsa's TOP. They are on the field way too much every game. It's going to lead to giving up a ton of points. Our offense was the problem in this game.

To me it appears that the other teams are getting better and we are not improving. It can be a quick fall from greatness to mediocrity
with a lack of attention to details. Way to many penalties to be a great team.

To me it appeared DG was to slow to react when he couldn't find a target. It has to learn when to tuck it and run. It appears there are also too many times he stares down his primary receiver for too long of a time. It would be nice to as a viewer to see the whole field to offer more constructive feedback. I personally feel our coaches are being out coached.

Not good enough. Case in point: on their last TD, we rushed two and dropped everyone else into coverage. Their backup QB still carved our secondary.
Lack of consistent pressure. I dont even need to mention the penalties that extend drives. And what's up with our hyped transfer Cam Goode?

Reactions: knight_tracker
giphy.gif

Reactions: Ucfmikes
In my view, this isn’t on our D.

Look at the drives after we went up 31-24...the defense made enough stops for us to win the game, but we kept turning the ball right back over.

D is better than the previous few years. They didn’t cost the game. O and special teams did.

D even bowed up after the turnover on the KO. Again on the immediately following pick. 3 pts on two drives basically starting in the RZ is not bad D by a long shot.

Coach once again refuses to let HIS freshmen decision to get out of the game and settle down. Bad play calling. QB has trouble throwing over the middle. Maybe that’s why he just calls outs and deep balls. Had a few outs picked too this season. Almost one last night (in addition to the outside overthrow that was picked. Other teams have us figured out. Plus it helps that they only have to defend a fraction of the field.

The defense has some very good players. Evans, Gilyard, Robinson, etc. are all playing great. The penalties are killing us

However, the pass rush wasn’t good. They had way too much time to throw and completed 67% of their passes which is high against us. How many sacks did we have? 1-2?

Because Heupel's offense goes 3 and out way too much. Look at Tulsa's TOP. They are on the field way too much every game. It's going to lead to giving up a ton of points. Our offense was the problem in this game.
UF best Vandy by a lot. Didn’t give up any points. You don’t think UF scored fast or had any 3 and outs? TOP was identical. 33 minutes for Tulsa and Vandy. One teams defense is good, the other, ours, is not. No pressure on QB at all.

Reactions: knightraveler
UF best Vandy by a lot. Didn’t give up any points. You don’t think UF scored fast or had any 3 and outs? TOP was identical. 33 minutes for Tulsa and Vandy. One teams defense is good, the other, ours, is not. No pressure on QB at all.
We aren't on Florida's level this year. We'll never be able to recruit the defensive players they bring in

We aren't on Florida's level this year. We'll never be able to recruit the defensive players they bring in
I understand but you’d think the level of competition is a step down as well. You can’t blame our offense for scoring too fast, 3 and outs and turnovers for our defense giving up 30 points and then see other teams who face same problems and give up 20 or less. If you take away FAMU, we are averaging 26 points against. If we did that every game we’d be undefeated.

Last edited:
I understand but you’d think the level of competition is a step down as well. You can’t blame our offense for scoring too fast, 3 and outs and turnovers for our defense giving up 30 points and then see other teams who face same problems and give up 20 or less.
Florida has backups and depth on defense that would start for us. They don’t tire with more depth. Our depth is walk-ons

I understand but you’d think the level of competition is a step down as well. You can’t blame our offense for scoring too fast, 3 and outs and turnovers for our defense giving up 30 points and then see other teams who face same problems and give up 20 or less.
Our TOP was actually not that bad. UCF= 26, Tulsa= 33. That 3rd quarter was a killer for us though. I think our D got gassed in that quarter. Still, our D-line remains to be a problem against decent backs

UF has 4 stars as backups. We have freshman and lower ranked players. Don’t take walk-ons literally

SEC schools don’t have defenses that will tire as fast because they simply have more quality depth. Especially UF vs Vanderbilt
Isn’t a Freshman who isn’t tired better than a tired senior? Being tired isn’t an excuse that can be used. I counted 25 guys that can play every week. Most teams play slow against us. Plenty of time to sub and 30 seconds between plays gives them a rest. Defense hasn’t been good enough in our 3 losses. Penalties and no pressure in QB.

Isn’t a Freshman who isn’t tired better than a tired senior? Being tired isn’t an excuse that can be used. I counted 25 guys that can play every week. Most teams play slow against us. Plenty of time to sub and 30 seconds between plays gives them a rest. Defense hasn’t been good enough in our 3 losses. Penalties and no pressure in QB.
True about the pressure and the penalties. We were saying that ALL game. They completed 67%.

Pressure was better at Cincinnati. However, in all of the losses the offense sucked. Too many turnovers for starters

Last edited:
Reactions: BlakNGoldAllDay
Defense played okay

Too many penalties
Too many gaps allowing for longer runs

NO TURNOVERS!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT