ADVERTISEMENT

So I have come to the conclusion that the only way our attendance

Knight_Classes_begin_7pm

Golden Knight
Oct 6, 2013
goes up.....the only way.......is:

P-5 Affiliation (Play P-5 Teams actually).....and USF of course.

After talking about this since the pre-years of Daunte Culpepper :)

Thoughts

Every game is on TV. That contributes to the problem. If you black out the games locally, attendance will increase. With all the enhancements to the television experience it is less appealing to sit in the sun for a noon game with a trash AAC team. Many would rather watch from home. Take that away and attendance will go up.

P5 teams get a lot of attendance fro m visiting crowds too. UCONN doesn't exactly travel well. If we were playing a P5 school you could count on 5 to 15 thousand more seats sold. You can't blame everything on local fan apathy. The whole conference is apathetic about itself.

P5 teams get a lot of attendance fro m visiting crowds too. UCONN doesn't exactly travel well. If we were playing a P5 school you could count on 5 to 15 thousand more seats sold. You can't blame everything on local fan apathy. The whole conference is apathetic about itself.

Agreed. Outside of us, no team in the AAC has a good traveling fan base.

Reactions: Miltonian
It doesn't help when the playoff committee makes it abundantly clear that you aren't even in the national title consideration if you win all your games. I know a lot of people, even UCF alumni, who won't get interested in this football program despite the record because of that inherent G5 2nd class status.

Reactions: Square Knight
I think even if we were P5, we still wouldn't sellout playing teams like Iowa etc.

I'll say it again and again and again, that there is simply no excuse for a school with 64k students, an undefeated team ranked #13 (or whatever), cannot sellout game in and game out. This is a HISTORICAL season. And this argument about $45 tickets is just utterly stupid. It doesn't take a wizard to use StubHub. I don't understand why most you can't comprehend this.

No excuse. No excuse. No excuse. No excuse. No excuse. No excuse. Nada nada nunca!

Florida fan bases just suck, period.

.......Oh wait. I live in another continent so I guess I have no justification to gripe!

I know the argument about beer in the stadium is like beating a dead horse, but has this been discussed recently? The biggest demographic missing from the games isn't so much the students or the old timers/families... it's the young alumni. Guess what they are more than likely doing on a Saturday? Drinking somewhere. The tailgates are popular. People show up to those so there is obviously interest in the team or at least the ambience of being on campus. But then they all leave. I mean hell, a bar downtown owned and operated by UCF alumni are giving out free beer and that place gets packed. Find a way to really crack down on the use of fake IDs, jack up the prices to at least deter people from getting slammed but at least make it an option and make it accessible. Charge an arm and a leg for crappy draft beer and designate bottled premium choices and cocktails to the Cabana and premium seating if you need to.

We're making excuses. Good teams don't need gimmicks. We're just not showing up because, quite frankly, we don't care enough. 25-30k really care. They show up no matter what. The rest? 5k max at every game. It take years of consistent winning for that to happen. It doesn't happen in one season. Certainly doesn't happen when it's inconsistent winning.

Yep. People just don’t care about watching us play UCONN. Especially when we are 40 point favorites, noon game, $45 tickets for non-season ticket holders.

Losing the Georgia Tech game really hurt.
Good points. If it might rain...why even leave the house if you have a large screen HD TV, AC cranking, comfortable.....the game is free on TV

goes up.....the only way.......is:

P-5 Affiliation (Play P-5 Teams actually).....and USF of course.

After talking about this since the pre-years of Daunte Culpepper :)

Thoughts

In addition to those you mentioned, there are so many possible contributors that long time season ticket holders mention:
  • Reserving tailgating spots. Ridiculous. Tailgating in/around Memory Mall was so much better before 'reservations required'.
  • Time that you're 'allowed' to celebrate/tailgate before a game. The powers that be also don't consider the impacts of their elementary and restrictive tailgating rules. Some fans spend more time shopping / prepping / loading / unloading their tailgating gear than they are actually 'allowed' to tailgate. Tailgating begins 6 hours before kickoff (4 hours for a noon game) so subtract at least an hour for setup and breakdown?? Really?? Other institutions allow fans to camp over night. Our groups have stopped tailgating largely because of the excessive rules. UCF - Stop killing the spirit!
  • Our conference affiliation is tough. Most UCF students probably don't have friends that go to most of the institutions in our conference so the UCF student body interest in our opponents may be impacted (if that's what drives their interest in UCF football). For the most part, there are not natural rivalries for us in this conference according to some diehard UCF fans.
  • Etc.

Price hike before the season started turned a lot of season ticket holders off. Also the conference is crap and losing GTECH was a loss. Now we should sell out not only USF but if we play Memphis as well...no excuse

Its obvious we can typically pull 25k-30k people vs. anyone. If its someone people care about then you can probably add +10k.

Even big programs have trouble filling their stadium when they play vs bottom feeders.

Also, Danny White should let Valencia & Seminole State students come for free too. I think that would help.

I'm for blacking out the UCF campus and its vicinity except for bars in the area. If the students who live nearby campus can get in for free...why go back to their dorm?

Reactions: Mikesi
Its obvious we can typically pull 25k-30k people vs. anyone. If its someone people care about then you can probably add +10k.

Even big programs have trouble filling their stadium when they play vs bottom feeders.

Also, Danny White should let Valencia & Seminole State students come for free too. I think that would help.

Good idea. In addition to Valencia and Seminole State, invite the other state colleges that we have partnerships with.

I don't understand the hypocrisy of whining about not getting respected because we are a G5 team and than blaming attendance on the fact that no one wants to watch us play other G5 teams.

I think this story illustrates why people come to that conclusion on attendance while also being frustrated about disrespect - talked to a friend who also graduated with an undergrad degree from UCF. Doesn't follow our program unless we're in a Fiesta Bowl kind of situation, but is an avid NFL fan and watches a lot of the ESPN/national sports media. He said that the "Golden Knights" are putting together a heck of a season, but they are probably ranked too high because they haven't played anyone and then proceeded to talk about how good the Canes look and knew more about their current situation than ours. The lack of respect and coverage received from the national media directly plays into the very things which drive interest and attendance. On this board we are preaching to the choir. We all attend the games when we can. The difference is we can't pull the more casual college football fans like my buddy here who, even as an alumnus, isn't interested in a team that can win all of their games and not even be in the national conversation for a title.

They out priced the season ticket holders and casual fans. I found Jags tickets for $45 which is the same price for upper deck UCF tickets. Pretty lame to buy a $45 ticket to sit in an area with nobody around and kids running up and down the stands. I go to every game but I can see how the casual fan might just save $50 and go to a watch party.

Then we would get even less next contract. TV wants exposure. They don't care who is at game.

This. It's more important how many people are watching on tv than in the stands. Downsize the stadium and create more amenities for season ticket holders. The rest of the stadium can be students and $10 standing room only (Bud Zone).

This. It's more important how many people are watching on tv than in the stands. Downsize the stadium and create more amenities for season ticket holders. The rest of the stadium can be students and $10 standing room only (Bud Zone).

The only plus for season ticket holders is they already have tickets...that's it. They seriously need to open up beer sales. the casual fan would buy a ticket just to go hang out in the cabana and watch. Almost every NFL stadium have these free amenities (bud zone etc..) and they profit off the sales.

Problem is that when you do that, if we want to be considered for P5 conference, your stadium cant be any smaller than 55000 roughly.

The only plus for season ticket holders is they already have tickets...that's it. They seriously need to open up beer sales. the casual fan would buy a ticket just to go hang out in the cabana and watch. Almost every NFL stadium have these free amenities (bud zone etc..) and that profit off the sales.

It needs to be more than just beer sales. Nobody would buy club seats if you could buy beer anywhere. They need to create lounges throughout the stadium under the bleachers to escape the rain and sun. A place where kids can play. Places to sit down (outdoor couches). Open early to tailgate INSIDE the stadium and late. Televisions with other football games to watch. You have to give people more reasons to leave their living room.

It needs to be more than just beer sales. Nobody would buy club seats if you could buy beer anywhere. They need to create lounges throughout the stadium under the bleachers to escape the rain and sun. A place where kids can play. Places to sit down (outdoor couches). Open early to tailgate INSIDE the stadium and late. Televisions with other football games to watch. You have to give people more reasons to leave their living room.

I agree! when it rains I know people leave the stadium but underneath the stadium waiting kinda sucks and your right they have no entertainment other than the game really (unless you dropped $$$ for the cabana). But as I said before if I was a casual fan and seen $45 for nose bleed bleachers vs UCONN or $40 Jags vs Chargers (and you get to drink beer) I would choose the Jags game. They are trying but for the cost they need to level out the entertainment.

I agree! when it rains I know people leave the stadium but underneath the stadium waiting kinda sucks and your right they have no entertainment other than the game really (unless you dropped $$$ for the cabana). But as I said before if I was a casual fan and seen $45 for nose bleed bleachers vs UCONN or $40 Jags vs Chargers (and you get to drink beer) I would choose the Jags game. They are trying but for the cost they need to level out the entertainment.

Exactly! I would actually pay a little more to be in the Cabana or Club. The onfield Cabana's have the right idea, it's just that I'm not dropping $22,000 for them. Last year was great! I'd get to the game early, eat free 4Rivers BBQ, enjoy the pregame show, talk football with people, watch some of the early games on tv and just enjoy myself. "Tailgating" in there was much easier than in a parking lot.

They out priced the season ticket holders and casual fans. I found Jags tickets for $45 which is the same price for upper deck UCF tickets. Pretty lame to buy a $45 ticket to sit in an area with nobody around and kids running up and down the stands. I go to every game but I can see how the casual fan might just save $50 and go to a watch party.
Disagree with the season ticket holder being "priced out". I just moved my seats to Section 134 where they are $99 each for the season. Quite the bargain. Season ticket holders in other sections that saw a price increase have/had other options at reduced season prices. It just depended on where your seats were last season.

Exactly! I would actually pay a little more to be in the Cabana or Club. The onfield Cabana's have the right idea, it's just that I'm not dropping $22,000 for them. Last year was great! I'd get to the game early, eat free 4Rivers BBQ, enjoy the pregame show, talk football with people, watch some of the early games on tv and just enjoy myself. "Tailgating" in there was much easier than in a parking lot.

I agree wholeheartedly. The cabana cash grab has taken an area that was special and made it ordinary. I was absorbed into the cabana this year and see absolutely no benefit to it. If anything they made it harder for my family. My kids like to go down around half and sit just below the bleachers on the bench. It was usually always filled with parents with their kids escaping the heat/rain /boredom. Now there is a few generic vendors selling nachos or beers clogging up the space.

Here are my 2-cents for improvements
  • Move all food vendors outside cabana zone. Designate one food place to cabana members or create special lines for them.
  • Create actually lounge spaces below with AC and soft furniture. People complain to many people are upstairs then give them a reason to go downstairs.
  • Throw in some cheap free amenities. Would it kill them to have an iced water dispenser in the cabana club? How about some free popcorn?
  • Season ticket holders should get coupons for free or discounted food or beverages. They can get creative with this. Put them in the app so people actually download and use it. They could set it for certain times. Free popcorn in the 4th quarter or a hot dog is discounted by whatever the lead is at the start of the 4th quarter.
  • This has mentioned numerous times but other games playing.
  • Move the GKC event to the stadium. Host it in tower or cabana.

I agree wholeheartedly. The cabana cash grab has taken an area that was special and made it ordinary. I was absorbed into the cabana this year and see absolutely no benefit to it. If anything they made it harder for my family. My kids like to go down around half and sit just below the bleachers on the bench. It was usually always filled with parents with their kids escaping the heat/rain /boredom. Now there is a few generic vendors selling nachos or beers clogging up the space.

Here are my 2-cents for improvements
  • Move all food vendors outside cabana zone. Designate one food place to cabana members or create special lines for them.
  • Create actually lounge spaces below with AC and soft furniture. People complain to many people are upstairs then give them a reason to go downstairs.
  • Throw in some cheap free amenities. Would it kill them to have an iced water dispenser in the cabana club? How about some free popcorn?
  • Season ticket holders should get coupons for free or discounted food or beverages. They can get creative with this. Put them in the app so people actually download and use it. They could set it for certain times. Free popcorn in the 4th quarter or a hot dog is discounted by whatever the lead is at the start of the 4th quarter.
  • This has mentioned numerous times but other games playing.
  • Move the GKC event to the stadium. Host it in tower or cabana.
Saw other games playing on the TVs in the cabana area for ECU. And also jeopardy.

Interesting to read some of the comments from this article on Minnesota attendance. Ticket prices and competing with the ease and entertainment value on TV a common thread. Minnesota is one of the schools that allows beer to be purchased throughout the stadium.

Also, this:
It was clear that not nearly as many Cornhuskers fans as usual made the trip north and that Nebraska wasn't the draw in the Twin Cities as it often is.

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-...rom-nebraska-should-from-wisconsin/457289923/

Do you have to make a donation to the school to buy season tickets? Trying to figure out why any local person would buy a $45 single game ticket when you can get season tickets for $99.

Disagree with the season ticket holder being "priced out". I just moved my seats to Section 134 where they are $99 each for the season. Quite the bargain. Season ticket holders in other sections that saw a price increase have/had other options at reduced season prices. It just depended on where your seats were last season.

Our old seats went from $215 to $400. Yes we got the $99 seats too but they don't compare to what we had.

Do you have to make a donation to the school to buy season tickets? Trying to figure out why any local person would buy a $45 single game ticket when you can get season tickets for $99.
The upper corner sections are $99 with no donation. All other season ticket prices require a donation. Section 134 is a $21 donation plus $99.

I agree other than a flag (which they never mailed to me) we have no other perks.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT