ADVERTISEMENT

So yeah

Crazyhole

Todd's Tiki Bar
Jun 4, 2004
I got a call from the crisis counselor at my daughters school this morning. My oldest daughter tried committing suicide last night. And I'm now finding out this is her 2nd attempt.

The hits just keep coming

My God dude. I didn't expect to read that when opening this post. I really hope your family gets the help needed and she gets the help she needs. I don't know you beyond your Beavis avatar but I'll save a prayer for you anyways.

omg i am truly sorry to hear that. circle the wagons around your family and fight to keep them together. take time off work and talk to your kids. maybe something like an emergency family trip to get away from everything. your family will be in my thoughts. good luck man.

I knew when they went to live with mom it wouldn't work out, but i didn't see this coming. Jesus. She's sleeping right now and Im trying to figure out how to help, and cant stop thinking about how things happen for a reason. I was there last October. Fukcing a.

They just called you and told you? Was she Baker Acted?
If a student shows any credible signs of potential suicide, the police should be called immediately along with a psychiatric evaluation and possible stay in a facility.

...and stop that "things happen for a reason" bullshit. This stuff is preventable, but you must act hard and fast before it gets too bad. Don't think some divine force is going to magically make things better. Get the child help.

I knew when they went to live with mom it wouldn't work out, but i didn't see this coming. Jesus. She's sleeping right now and Im trying to figure out how to help, and cant stop thinking about how things happen for a reason. I was there last October. Fukcing a.
It’s going to feel like it’s your fault but it’s not and you can’t let yourself go down that black hole. Be strong for her and be there for her. Let her know that you’re there for her no matter what. Then do whatever it takes. Reach out for help to everyone. Use the government resources. Go to the ends of the world.

Good luck man. You can get through this.

god damn dude, I am so sorry, Inconceivable. Good luck, if you are looking for advice I'd try to see a family counselor, you guys will need help. This trend of child suicide attempts is increasing at an astounding rate nation wide.

and cant stop thinking about how things happen for a reason. I was there last October. Fukcing a.

This is 100% bullshit and proven to be untrue, get it out of your head, it does not help.

Last edited:
I'm not saying this thing happened for a reason. I'm saying that me being in the same place and getting through it happened for a reason. She needs me and my experience in it and that's why it happened.

Reactions: sk8knight
They just called you and told you? Was she Baker Acted?
If a student shows any credible signs of potential suicide, the police should be called immediately along with a psychiatric evaluation and possible stay in a facility.

...and stop that "things happen for a reason" bullshit. This stuff is preventable, but you must act hard and fast before it gets too bad. Don't think some divine force is going to magically make things better. Get the child help.
She had cuts on her wrists. The police were called. It's a long story about how things got to this point but I made it through and I know this is why.

She had cuts on her wrists. The police were called. It's a long story about how things got to this point but I made it through and I know this is why.
Once the initial response and adrenaline wears off and you start analyzing everything, this is the worst part. Don’t beat yourself up on it and don’t let yourself do that if you can avoid it.

I won't pretend to understand what drives young people to cut themselves but sadly it's more common than we realize. There are groups dedicated to helping out people just like your daughter. To Write Love on Her Arms: https://twloha.com/learn/

I'm truly sorry. All I can really offer is thoughts and prayers, but if you honestly need anything else, DM me and if I can help, I will.

Bro....so sorry

Shower her with love and be sure she understands how valuable she is to u and the world.

Will say prayers brother

I'm not saying this thing happened for a reason. I'm saying that me being in the same place and getting through it happened for a reason. She needs me and my experience in it and that's why it happened.

Damn. So incredibly sorry to read this bro. I won't pretend to know the first thing ab your situation but I too believe your experience in dealing with this is invaluable.

(I'm sorry if all of this is stuff you've heard before or already know, but...)

If there is any light to shine from this, it is that she didn't do any major damage. This was her asking for help. But, this must be taken very seriously. Make sure her mother, siblings, friends, and everyone else know and are watching out for her.

Is she in Orange County? If so, I can give you information about Orange County School's programs to help with these things. If not, check with her school district. Many districts have special schools for at-risk youth.

Secondly, get her to a psychiatrist and get her meds right. Meds aren't like they were back in the 70s and 80s. They don't just turn kids into zombies like Ritalin. They help. And, in many cases, they often need updating, changes, and tweeking.

Then, get to the bottom of it. Depression is a medical issue. It isn't controllable, but there are reasons for how it can get better or worse.
Is she under a lot of stress? Too many activities and/or pressure on school work? If so, take something off the plate. Meditation and yoga can do wonders for stress and anxiety.

Lastly, don't blame yourself. It isn't your fault. Most people don't understand depression. Doctors barely understand depression. Somebody can have everything going right for them in the world, and still be depressed. It isn't easy knowing that not a day goes by where you don't feel like killing yourself, and you have no explanation why you think it.

Puts things into perspective, including for those of us outside, looking in too. I hope your family makes it through this difficult time.

(I'm sorry if all of this is stuff you've heard before or already know, but...)

If there is any light to shine from this, it is that she didn't do any major damage. This was her asking for help. But, this must be taken very seriously. Make sure her mother, siblings, friends, and everyone else know and are watching out for her.

Is she in Orange County? If so, I can give you information about Orange County School's programs to help with these things. If not, check with her school district. Many districts have special schools for at-risk youth.

Secondly, get her to a psychiatrist and get her meds right. Meds aren't like they were back in the 70s and 80s. They don't just turn kids into zombies like Ritalin. They help. And, in many cases, they often need updating, changes, and tweeking.

Then, get to the bottom of it. Depression is a medical issue. It isn't controllable, but there are reasons for how it can get better or worse.
Is she under a lot of stress? Too many activities and/or pressure on school work? If so, take something off the plate. Meditation and yoga can do wonders for stress and anxiety.

Lastly, don't blame yourself. It isn't your fault. Most people don't understand depression. Doctors barely understand depression. Somebody can have everything going right for them in the world, and still be depressed. It isn't easy knowing that not a day goes by where you don't feel like killing yourself, and you have no explanation why you think it.

Well i talked to her for about 5 hours tonight. Its not great, but not as bad as I feared. I was really worried that this was a dry run, just getting ready for the real thing. It seems more like a cry for help. Either way, she's safe with me now and I am getting her into see a counselor that I've had good luck with over the years. Probably too early to decide whether meds are the way to go yet. This was not what I thought today was going to bring.

Hang in there. Glad she is safe and I hope she sticks with therapy, even when she is feeling well. There are some amazing health professionals that I hope can help your daughter.

if you feel like sharing, i was wondering how your kid was doing.
She's doing ok. Trying to take things a little bit too fast and wants to feel like everything was an overreaction, which is typical. Beyond that, she's doing a really good job of sharing things and processing through with the counselor. Ive got her doing some journaling so she can go back every week or so and see how little things affect her and see progress. It's just small steps right now.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT