ADVERTISEMENT

Some major news to pass along (updated Friday at 3:30 p.m.)

Brandon

Publisher
Staff
May 28, 2001
Winter Park, FL
www.ucfsports.com
Let's try and keep this in the Dungeon for now.

UCF will be without starting safety Antwan Collier on Saturday vs. Houston and likely for the rest of the season. In the early morning hours of Thursday, near the intersection of Gemini and Libra (water tower), Collier was pulled over by UCF Police for a suspended driver's license. He had a firearm in the car, which he disclosed, but he does not have a concealed carry permit. Carrying a concealed firearm is a third-degree felony.

Even if he had a carry permit, students are not permitted to have weapons on campus so he would have faced university discipline (his football status likely would have been the same).

I don't know what this means for his UCF future going forward, but he's a senior that only had a few games left. Even if the issue was eventually resolved through the court system, he wanted to come back (everybody gets a free year of eligibility) and Heupel agreed, UCF as a university is usually pretty strict on these sort of offenses.

It's a significant blow to UCF's defense. I would imagine Derek Gainous is next man up at safety. Divaad Wilson, the transfer from Georgia, is also now eligible to play. I'm uncertain how much he'll contribute in his first game since 2019, but UCF needs some secondary help.

I'm not sure when or if this will go "public." Sometimes it depends on the media reps paying attention to the police blotter. Obviously he's a pretty big name so it would have been news when he wasn't in Houston. Hopefully for his sake the gun was there for personal protection and he just made the mistake of failing to realize the seriousness of not having a concealed carry permit.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News