ADVERTISEMENT

Some TCU/UCF numbers to think about this week…

Bring Back Wackadoos

Four-Star Recruit
Mar 15, 2023
Kendal Briles (brother in-law of Jeff Lebby), TCU’s current Offensive Coordinator, served as Arkansas OC in 2020 when the Razorbacks matched up with Gus Malzahn’s Auburn Tigers. Auburn won (at home) 30-28 on a last second FG. Arkansas gained 437 total yards, QB F. Franks threw for 318 yards and 4 TD’s.

As a starter in Briles offense at Arkansas, UCF QB KJ Jefferson threw for over 5,000 yards and 45 TD’s (2021-22).

The last time Malzahn’s team faced current TCU HC Sonny Dykes, it was when Dykes was the head coach at SMU (2021). On the road, UCF surrendered 55 points, 631 yards of total offense, and 377 yards passing (3 TD’s) to Tanner Mordecai.

In 2022, TCU put up 55 points (668 total yards) against Oklahoma. UCF’s current DC - Ted Roof - was the DC for the Sooners. Oklahoma defeated TCU last year. But under Roof in 2023, Oklahoma still surrendered 45 points and over 500 yards to Briles and Dykes at TCU.

Against lesser opponents, UCF leads the nation in rushing, and ranks third overall in total yards through Week 2. TCU’s defense has compiled six sacks through two games, and has allowed just over 200 yards per game.

With Briles and Dykes calling to shots, UCF’s defense is going to have its hands full Saturday. Since 2021, Malzahn has compiled a 7-9 record on the road leading UCF (5-8 on the road in-conference). That includes losses at Navy, at East Carolina, at Kansas, etc.

Last edited:
Kendal Briles (brother in-law of Jeff Lebby), TCU’s current Offensive Coordinator, served as Arkansas OC in 2020 when the Razorbacks matched up with Gus Malzahn’s Auburn Tigers. Auburn won (at home) 30-28 on a last second FG. Arkansas gained 437 total yards, QB F. Franks threw for 318 yards and 4 TD’s.

The last time Malzahn’s team faced current TCU HC Sonny Dykes, it was when Dykes was the head coach at SMU (2021). On the road, UCF surrendered 55 points, 631 yards of total offense, and 377 yards passing (3 TD’s) to Tanner Mordecai.

Against lesser opponents, UCF leads the nation in rushing, and ranks third overall in total yards through Week 2. TCU’s defense has compiled six sacks through two games, and has allowed just over 200 yards per game.

With Briles and Dykes calling to shots, UCF’s defense is going to have its hands full Saturday. Since 2021, Malzahn has compiled a 7-9 record on the road leading UCF (5-8 on the road in-conference). That includes losses at Navy, at East Carolina, at Kansas, etc.
It is a tough matchup for UCF. Kinda feels like the 2023 opener against Kansas State only at night and against the 2022 national runner up.

Regarding baby Briles, I don't know how much of the TCU offense is his and how much is Sonny's.

Interesting point, Gus tried to hire baby Briles as Auburn's offensive coordinator in 2018, but the hire was blocked by the dumb@ss Auburn administration.

To me, KJ Jefferson is the most intriguing figure in this game. I expected him to go to TCU and reunite with baby Briles once he hit the portal. Instead, he surprisingly signed with UCF and Malzahn.

Is there bad blood between Jefferson and Briles? Does TCU run a "too advanced" offense for KJ Jefferson?

The most overlooked factor in the game is TCU hired former Boise State head coach Andy Avalos as defensive coordinator. Avalos is very familiar with Gus's offense having faced Gus at Oregon under Christolowertierbowl and at Boise State last season. Both Gus wins on the road.

It will be an interesting game to watch. I am still leaning TCU at -2.5 because I don't know how motivated the Knights are, especially with 40-50 new players on the roster.

Last edited:
I guess that’s an Auburn thing, to start hinting at not being motivated if you lose?

Of course our guys will be motivated, it’s a conference opener on national tv. Give me a break lol.

Now can we stop them, that is a different question.
TCU is more motivated than UCF and Gus isn't the best motivator.

It is a league game on paper, but few players of the 100 or so really care. Most newbies do not know who or where TCU is or what the letters even stand for.

As far as the game, UCF will slow down the TCU running game and have a chance at the end to hold the Frogs under 100 yards rushing at the end.

However, TCU will throw for what seems like a mile. I predict the Frogs throw for 400+ yards when you include completions called back due to penalties, but still finish with like 382 passing yards officially.

UCF will make Hoover look like the Heisman candidate the Knights made former Georgia Tech QB Jeff Sims look like.

You will see in this game why Ted Roof and Addison Williams -- and by extension Gus made a huge mistake in not bringing back David Gibbs as an analyst.

EDIT: To clarify, being motivated in football means you respect your opponent, don't underestimate them, and prepare for them and only them (don't look ahead) to the best of your ability. Oklahoma State "was not motivated* to play UCF last season, and it showed.

Last edited:
This is the opener of the team’s only 2nd ever season in the big 12. The team is undefeated. “Motivation” has nothing to do with anything right now, and it sounds like there is self-handicapping going on already because you’re not too confident about winning this game. If we lose, it’s because TCU has a better team and/or the coaching staff is better. Hopefully Gus and Roof have learned some stuff since last getting punked by Sonny’s (and Briles’) offense.

It is a league game on paper, but few players of the 100 or so really care. Most newbies do not know who or where TCU is or what the letters even stand for.
I'm sorry but this is PURE BS.

UCF has been driven for decades to join a Big-Boy conference like the Big XII. After years of dedication and hard work, they achieve their goal--but you opine that in Year 2 they're not 'motivated' for their conference opener??!?!? 🤪

This is the opener of the team’s only 2nd ever season in the big 12. The team is undefeated. “Motivation” has nothing to do with anything right now, and it sounds like there is self-handicapping going on already because you’re not too confident about winning this game. If we lose, it’s because TCU has a better team and/or the coaching staff is better. Hopefully Gus and Roof have learned some stuff since last getting punked by Sonny’s (and Briles’) offense.
That's the thought I had reading the statistics mentioned in the earlier posts, that Malzahn and Roof "have learned some stuff." The coach who lost previously is the one who has to make the most adjustments, right? So that could work in our favor. Maybe. It's not the only factor to consider, of course, but it's a significant one.

UCF has been driven for decades to join a Big-Boy conference like the Big XII. After years of dedication and hard work, they achieve their goal--but you opine that in Year 2 they're not 'motivated' for their conference opener??!?!? 🤪
You missed my point.

I was saying the UCF football team AS A WHOLE is not motivated to play as the TCU football team AS A WHOLE.

I was not talking about UCF fans or UCF as a school.

I specifically referenced the 40 - 50 new players who "do not know who or where TCU is or what the letters even stand for."

They are the ones playing the game.

TCU is not a big name brand like Oklahoma and is not a current media darling like Colorado.

This game is the equivalent of Oklahoma State (name brand) playing at (virtually unknown in Oklahoma) UCF in 2023, and we all know how that ended up.

The biggest obstacle for UCF to overcome is its head coach Gus Malzone. Malzone is unable to prepare his teams to win road games. He has a very long history of road game failures.

Reactions: ucffan642

As far as the game, UCF will slow down the TCU running game and have a chance at the end to hold the Frogs under 100 yards rushing at the end.

However, TCU will throw for what seems like a mile. I predict the Frogs throw for 400+ yards when you include completions called back due to penalties, but still finish with like 382 passing yards officially.

UCF will make Hoover look like the Heisman candidate the Knights made former Georgia Tech QB Jeff Sims look like.

You will see in this game why Ted Roof and Addison Williams -- and by extension Gus made a huge mistake in not bringing back David Gibbs as an analyst.

EDIT: To clarify, being motivated in football means you respect your opponent, don't underestimate them, and prepare for them and only them (don't look ahead) to the best of your ability. Oklahoma State "was not motivated* to play UCF last season, and it showed.

I don’t buy in to this unmotivated stuff. I don’t know any athlete worth his salt who’s ok with losing or getting owned and embarrassed on the field. Most of these players have always been the best athlete on the field and come from winning cultures. They don’t like losing and don’t like watching film of them getting schooled in a game.

These players haven’t done anything allowing them to underestimate any opponent. Even so, It’s Gus’ job to make these players respect their opponent, not underestimate them, and most of all ….it’s his job to have this team prepared for their opponents.

I hope I never hear Gus say our team was not motivated and that’s why we lost a game. He should know how to motivate players after decades of coaching.

Motivated? Seriously? They better be motivated it's a conference game.
When the season ends, looking back, this may be the most important game of the season. We need a turnaround in conference play this season and this is the game that sets the tone. Everybody is going to be motivated. It's a question of who's better prepared (coaching) and who wants it more (players). This is a big game for our program.

Last edited:
How would it be possible for players to have never heard of TCU and not know what state it’s in? They all have TVs and have watched SportsCenter and games on tv.

Yes…TCU only played for the National Championship a few years ago and we’re in the same Big 12 conference. But our players don’t know who TCU is or how good they are? “40 - 50 new players who "do not know who or where TCU is or what the letters even stand for."…not.

You missed my point.

I was saying the UCF football team AS A WHOLE is not motivated to play as the TCU football team AS A WHOLE.
I was talking about THE TEAM AS A WHOLE. Your point is complete nonsense.

You MIGHT have had a point worth arguing if you were talking about the Knights' motivation playing New Hampshire or Sam Houston. But the team is not motivated to play....TCU??? UCF Big XII opener??? That's utterly ridiculous. Hell, the Horned Frogs are a season removed from the National Championship game for crying out loud!!!

If your intent was to gaslight posters here, you're gonna have to come up with something a hell of a lot smarter than this BS. The only emotion you've raised is laughter.

Last edited:
I don’t buy in to this unmotivated stuff. I don’t know any athlete worth his salt who’s ok with losing or getting owned and embarrassed on the field. Most of these players have always been the best athlete on the field and come from winning cultures. They don’t like losing and don’t like watching film of them getting schooled in a game.

These players haven’t done anything allowing them to underestimate any opponent. Even so, It’s Gus’ job to make these players respect their opponent, not underestimate them, and most of all ….it’s his job to have this team prepared for their opponents.

I hope I never hear Gus say our team was not motivated and that’s why we lost a game. He should know how to motivate players after decades of coaching.
you're responding to someone whose sole purpose on this forum is to make excuses for gus. sad part is he thinks saying that gus assembled a team of players that don't care would somehow reflect positively on gus and absolve him of any blame.

Here's some meat for this thread.
Heard some TCU people were very concerned about their OL and this is an attached article.
Lots of lineman lost in offseason for TCU.

Many of the guys on our UCF forums are always looking at our OL loses at beginning of season as well.
This year our OL is looking like it could get the job done. We'll see how it looks against Big 12 talent.

Not surprisingly I believe the determining factor will be the play in the trenches between
both the OLs and DLs. Not the coaches or motivation factor.

We will know at end of game how this season is going to go if our lines don't get after it.

I ignored him but I’m sure his Gus BS and him trying to intellectually inform us as he speaks nonsense is another ranting post thats agenda is to promote GM or to position GM as not at fault if things go bad. That’s his position on everything

Here's some meat for this thread.
Heard some TCU people were very concerned about their OL and this is an attached article.
Lots of lineman lost in offseason for TCU.

Many of the guys on our UCF forums are always looking at our OL loses at beginning of season as well.
This year our OL is looking like it could get the job done. We'll see how it looks against Big 12 talent.

Not surprisingly I believe the determining factor will be the play in the trenches between
both the OLs and DLs. Not the coaches or motivation factor.

We will know at end of game how this season is going to go if our lines don't get after it.
I think the determining factor will be can we run the ball and if we can't can we pass effectively and always a question is play calling.

Not sure if anyone on here caught the Arizona State vs Texas State game last night. Texas State has some good talent and just fell off at the end when they started losing the battle in the trenches. They’re a contender though. Their offense made me reminisce on our 2017 team and their D looked pretty solid as well. I really hope we don’t go into TCU with the same vanilla offense as we seen the last 2 games this year. I’ve already resigned myself to a 75/25 run/pass offense but I would like to continue to see explosive plays.

Not sure if anyone on here caught the Arizona State vs Texas State game last night. Texas State has some good talent and just fell off at the end when they started losing the battle in the trenches. They’re a contender though. Their offense made me reminisce on our 2017 team and their D looked pretty solid as well. I really hope we don’t go into TCU with the same vanilla offense as we seen the last 2 games this year. I’ve already resigned myself to a 75/25 run/pass offense but I would like to continue to see explosive plays.
Texas State head coach was UCF OC in 2021, and recruited Castellanos. They beat Baylor easily on the road last year.

I enjoyed that game. I didn't realize Texas State was that good or is Arizona State just that bad?

I enjoyed that game. I didn't realize Texas State was that good or is Arizona State just that bad?
Saw the whole game too, great game I don’t think had a lot of viewers b/c of the NFL game. TX State looks great, Kinne has them in a great position. I think ASU is way improved from last year which is showing. Really thought TX State outplayed them, just got unlucky with a few things that cost them. ASU doesn’t scare me though, that’s for sure. They were getting gashed for long drives.

Reactions: DaShuckster
Texas St is legit for a G5 team. I placed a bet before the season for them to win the SunBelt.
Good bet…on a side note, Avery Johnson is not “Him”. I don’t get the hype. Running, yes. QB, not really. He may turn out to be great though, but this year he is not up to the hype.

I think the determining factor will be can we run the ball and if we can't can we pass effectively and always a question is play calling.
Yeah, our passing game is the MOST important thing tonight for me. Our identity is running the football, we’ve been able to be dominate lesser competition by being one-dimensional (haven’t needed balance, just dominated physically).

Won’t be able to lineup and just bully-ball TCU. KJ, Kobe, Xavier, and company are going to need to have huge nights. And our OL has to be able to hold up long enough to give KJ some time. Look for Randy Pittman to be a big part of the game plan tonight as well.

I don’t feel great about our ability to stop them. I bet the over, I think this could be a really fun (high-scoring) contest.

Yeah, our passing game is the MOST important thing tonight for me.
"While the Razorbacks went 8-16 against SEC opponents during Jefferson's three years as an established starter, he was 4-1 against teams that either were in the Big 12 at the time or are currently in the Big 12. That lone loss was a 38-31 decision to BYU in Fayetteville this past season.

"In five games, the powerful linebacker-esque quarterback put up 1,629 yards of offense and accounted for 15 touchdowns. There are no five games where a UCF quarterback averaged even close to that. "

Our identity is running the football, we’ve been able to be dominate lesser competition by being one-dimensional (haven’t needed balance, just dominated physically).

Won’t be able to lineup and just bully-ball TCU. KJ, Kobe, Xavier, and company are going to need to have huge nights. And our OL has to be able to hold up long enough to give KJ some time. Look for Randy Pittman to be a big part of the game plan tonight as well.

I don’t feel great about our ability to stop them. I bet the over, I think this could be a really fun (high-scoring) contest.
It will be interesting to see how closely UCF stays to its offensive identity in a league game on the road at night.

It will also be interesting to see whether the UCF defense, with so many new faces, can continue to play as a unit against a high powered offense.

I expect Ja'Varrius Johnson to make his first splash toKnight.

GKCO!

"While the Razorbacks went 8-16 against SEC opponents during Jefferson's three years as an established starter, he was 4-1 against teams that either were in the Big 12 at the time or are currently in the Big 12. That lone loss was a 38-31 decision to BYU in Fayetteville this past season.

"In five games, the powerful linebacker-esque quarterback put up 1,629 yards of offense and accounted for 15 touchdowns. There are no five games where a UCF quarterback averaged even close to that. "

It will be interesting to see how closely UCF stays to its offensive identity in a league game on the road at night.

It will also be interesting to see whether the UCF defense, with so many new faces, can continue to play as a unit against a high powered offense.

I expect Ja'Varrius Johnson to make his first splash toKnight.

GKCO!
My point being, yes UCF’s identity is running the ball. They have the deepest running back room in the country.

But when a P4 team sinks eight in the box, we won’t be able to just out-physical them like we did against the first two opponents.

We must push the ball down the field vertically (consistently). I’m excited to see if KJ can get it done. The atmosphere shouldn’t phase him.

My point being, yes UCF’s identity is running the ball. They have the deepest running back room in the country.

But when a P4 team sinks eight in the box, we won’t be able to just out-physical them like we did against the first two opponents.

We must push the ball down the field vertically (consistently). I’m excited to see if KJ can get it done. The atmosphere shouldn’t phase him.
I agree. History I referenced says he will.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT