ADVERTISEMENT

Sons of UCF LIVE: Guests Alex Cesarano w/ UCF Brand Advancement & Coach Paul Lounsberry Previews the Spring Game

ucf1

Bronze Knight
Gold Member
Dec 17, 2001
On this week's Sons of UCF LIVE we welcome in Alex Cesarano with UCF Brand Advancement as he talks about the special helmet decals being worn by UCF Football during the Spring Game. Then, former Asst. Coach Paul Lounsberry recaps Spring Camp and previews the Spring Game.

Click here to watch.

Reactions: DeezKnights
On this week's Sons of UCF LIVE we welcome in Alex Cesarano with UCF Brand Advancement as he talks about the special helmet decals being worn by UCF Football during the Spring Game. Then, former Asst. Coach Paul Lounsberry recaps Spring Camp and previews the Spring Game.

Click here to watch.

Thanks for asking the questions!

Here are the takeaways...

Gus/UCF plans to make Kenyon Cox the heir apparent at left tackle. His reported weight was 275 on his 247 recruiting profile at the time of his signing. He is listed at 280 on the Knights' spring roster, meaning he is undersized to play the position in the Big 12 at this time. Hopefully he will grow into his body by 2025.

It is intriguing that Coach Lounsberry said Paul Rubelt is trending toward starting at right tackle because he was not ready to play in 2022. At the 6:10-6:17 mark of this clip from the Grassprilla Bowl, Rubelt enters at left tackle and immediately gives up a sack when Duke's OLB and DE gap exchange. Following the sack, Alec Holler takes out his mouthpiece and tells Rubelt the error and Rubelt exits the lineup not to return for the rest of the game.

Coach Lounsberry also said UCF has quality defensive ends and edges, but I still view this position is suspect. Coach Lounsberry being unable to name starters suggests position battles are raging on at both spots. I agree with coach that interior linemen Lee Hunter and Ricky Barber will demand double teams and make the bookends look better than they are come the fall. I just don't know how good the ends and edges are considering that UCF's offensive tackles are not Big 12 quality and that the defensive ends and edges can only be judged based on who they are go up against in the spring.

Lastly, the defensive depth chart you read was pretty good, but William Wells is the reserve free safety. I have never seen him at corner. Chasen Johnson, Antione Jackson, and Ja'Cari Henderson (when he returns) will likely vye for the starting corner spot opposite Brandon Adams.

Thank you again for asking the questions!

Last edited:
Thanks for asking the questions!

Here are the takeaways...

Gus/UCF plans to make Kenyon Cox the heir apparent at left tackle. His reported weight was 275 on his 247 recruiting profile at the time of his signing. He is listed at 280 on the Knights' spring roster, meaning he is undersized to play the position in the Big 12 at this time. Hopefully he will grow into his body by 2025.

It is intriguing that Coach Lounsberry said Paul Rubelt is trending toward starting at right tackle because he was not ready to play last season. At the 6:10-6:17 mark of this clip from the Grassprilla Bowl, Rubelt enters at left tackle and immediately gives up a sack when Duke's OLB and DE gap exchange. Following the sack, Alec Holler takes out his mouthpiece and tells Rubelt the error and Rubelt exits the lineup not to return for the rest of the game.

Coach Lounsberry also said UCF has quality defensive ends and edges, but I still view this position is suspect. Coach Lounsberry being unable to name starters suggests position battles are raging on at both spots. I agree with coach that interior linemen Lee Hunter and Ricky Barber will demand double teams and make the bookends look better than they are come the fall. I just don't know how good the ends and edges are considering that UCF's offensive tackles are not Big 12 quality and that the defensive ends and edges can only be judged based on who they are go up against in the spring.

Lastly, the defensive depth chart you read was pretty good, but William Wells is the reserve free safety. I have never seen him at corner. Chasen Johnson, Antione Jackson, and Ja'Cari Henderson (when he returns) will likely vye for the starting corner spot opposite Brandon Adams.

Thank you again for asking the questions!
The Duke game was 2 seasons ago now

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT