ADVERTISEMENT

SpaceU vs Space City

This is actually pretty cool - who else can claim that the rivalry trophy actually came back from space…

“To celebrate both schools' roles supporting America's space agency, NASA flew a newly minted medallion featuring the logos of each school on opposing sides on CRS-29, a SpaceX mission to the International Space Station a couple of months ago.

Launched from Florida, guided by Houston, the medallion will come back to Earth, where it will be framed and presented to the winning team.

Welcome to the Space Wars.”

Last edited:
Reactions: Central Floridave
Mission control being in Houston makes me angry and has since I was a kid when The Right Stuff was my favorite move (and still is).

It was no doubt political pressure from the VP, who it is named after, to move it to his home state. The whole operation should be here in FL, as it was originally.

Politicians always have to bring back the pork. Ever wonder why the solid rocket boosters are held together with o-rings? It's so that they could be made in sections that could be put on a rail car, so they could be shipped from Utah. Pork. How'd that work out for us?

So in short, maybe this is the rivalry we need. You got a problem with FL? I've got a problem with space being done from Houston. Bring it, Coogs.

Pretty cool idea for a rivalry
Young Sheldon (Iain Armitage) or Jim Parsons could be the guest picker if ESPN ever does a Game Day on the series.

Young Sheldon grows up in the fictional town of Medford, Tx, which is presumably located in a very real Montgomery County, directly north of Houston.

Armitage is from Savannah, Ga., but Parsons really did attend the University of Houston.

Last edited:
All I know is Major Tony Nelson and Jennie lived in Coco Beach. That's pretty spacey and it settles it. 😆. Otter Knight , I am with you. Johnson was a man greedy for power and he stole mission control from Florida. Those other schools can have their space flight stuff,but we all know that UCF ,the entire university was predicated upon space flight.

The article got one thing wrong. The Citronaut was drawn up by President Millicans brother/cousin in 1969. While they don't mention the date , it was 4 years after FTU opened its doors Squeezer came into existence. It was a good read all around.

I have mixed emotions on getting Houston involved. I am an older Knight now and when I went to UCF and until we build the OCS , ucf struggled to have its own identity in the world and in Florida . We didn't seem to have anything cool of our own. We didn't have the chop or chomp. We didn't have much. I think we latched onto our history and the space thing because it was like our own. It truly was in our DNA and we embraced it. In this regard I don't want to share space especially with Houston. 😆 .

I did not want Houston to join the XII. Now, I am like , really, the Space Game could just automatically be Houston when we play them? . What happens to our space game if and when we play them in Houston? None of us Nauts will be all too happy if the game travels.

All I know is Major Tony Nelson and Jennie lived in Coco Beach. That's pretty spacey and it settles it. 😆. Otter Knight , I am with you. Johnson was a man greedy for power and he stole mission control from Florida. Those other schools can have their space flight stuff,but we all know that UCF ,the entire university was predicated upon space flight.

The article got one thing wrong. The Citronaut was drawn up by President Millicans brother/cousin in 1969. While they don't mention the date , it was 4 years after FTU opened its doors Squeezer came into existence. It was a good read all around.

I have mixed emotions on getting Houston involved. I am an older Knight now and when I went to UCF and until we build the OCS , ucf struggled to have its own identity in the world and in Florida . We didn't seem to have anything cool of our own. We didn't have the chop or chomp. We didn't have much. I think we latched onto our history and the space thing because it was like our own. It truly was in our DNA and we embraced it. In this regard I don't want to share space especially with Houston. 😆 .

I did not want Houston to join the XII. Now, I am like , really, the Space Game could just automatically be Houston when we play them? . What happens to our space game if and when we play them in Houston? None of us Nauts will be all too happy if the game travels.
No mention of poor Vinny the Vulture?

Mission control being in Houston makes me angry and has since I was a kid when The Right Stuff was my favorite move (and still is).

It was no doubt political pressure from the VP, who it is named after, to move it to his home state. The whole operation should be here in FL, as it was originally.

Politicians always have to bring back the pork. Ever wonder why the solid rocket boosters are held together with o-rings? It's so that they could be made in sections that could be put on a rail car, so they could be shipped from Utah. Pork. How'd that work out for us?

So in short, maybe this is the rivalry we need. You got a problem with FL? I've got a problem with space being done from Houston. Bring it, Coogs.

Disagree, it was much better to split the program among different states to promote the National interest....and much easier to obtain and keep funding as opposed to having everything in one place. I worked at both facilities.....and have degrees from both schools in the space bowl.

Disagree, it was much better to split the program among different states to promote the National interest....and much easier to obtain and keep funding as opposed to having everything in one place. I worked at both facilities.....and have degrees from both schools in the space bowl.

"You know what makes this bird go up?"

This happens all the time. But now, I've gotta ask...

What do you think of the current administration bypassing appropriation to build an unfunded, unapproved, contractor instsllation outside, and almost 10 miles, from the nearest military base for US Space Command HQ, when both the GAO and IQ agreed that of the 6 candidate sites**, Redstone made the most sense from a cost, facilities, resources (#1 city for engineers per capita in the US) and security standpoint, and even the USAF considered it the primary, candidate installation decades ago, before the current politics?

**DISCLAIMER: I've worked at 4 of the 6 candidate sites, and even the 'squatter/possession is 9/10th of the law' isn't even on one of them, just near the one politically favored, but I have to admit I now work at Redstone.

BTW, just to keep it semi-funny...

And I now cannot 'unhear' Holgorsen as a whinny, '80s edition of Starscream... :)

• Haha
Reactions: Robert0122
I left the space program in the mid-late 90s, so I'm not up on current issues. I was in Astronaut training during the time *** was using the shuttle.....lets just say certain entities play by their own rules.

Reactions: UCFBS
I left the space program in the mid-late 90s, so I'm not up on current issues. I was in Astronaut training during the time *** was using the shuttle.....lets just say certain entities play by their own rules.
Understood.

And the USAF's US Space Command is a long story, let alone the nearly 2-decade discussion on whether to make a separate, 6th branch the primary components of it. Although it was funny to see the US Media act like it was a 'Star Wars' type, President-only decision 'made overnight' (when it was anything but).

The recent politicking (both sides are guilty, but the 'by-pass' result is just kinda grossly irresponsible) is just kinda a joke to those of us who have worked at USAF, now USSF, Space Wings.

Last edited:
UCF fans on social media rooting for TT in hopes of getting some kind of moral victory.

UCF fans on social media rooting for TT in hopes of getting some kind of moral victory.
If FSU was leaving Miami and the ACC for the SEC ... what would Canes want? This just proves you are an idiot. I.e., It's called leaving the conference.

E.g., Everyone wants to see Texas and Oklahoma beat, and has nothing to do with anythin else.

Just like UCF sent both #6/#8 Louisville out with a loss from the Big East/AAC, before it joined the ACC, as well as put a beatdown on Rutgers, before it joined the BigTen.

Everyone in the Big East/AAC was happy to see UCF take down Louisville. Oh, BTW, if you don't remember that season ... let me remind you. Because ...

Louisville put a beatdown on the Canes too! Miami didn't have a TD until garbage time, and it was 36-2 ... yes all Miami had was a safety!

Louisville only loss that year was to UCF.

Reactions: UCFjparker75
We need our payouts to be high. Right now they are Big 12 and it helps if they get NY6. It helps our wallet. Period. Next year they can lose.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT