ADVERTISEMENT

SPOILER! The CFP system is a scam!

I just think it's weird that you are always on this site... you constantly refer to a team no one here cares about or has ties to. Yes, our last coach left to coach at his Alma Mater, but move on! It's a new season and a new year. Go share your excitement with other Nebraska fans, not us! I just can't understand why you're a fan of Nebraska and yet constantly posting on a UCF board... It's gotten really old.

Oh lord. I'm excited about Nebraska but I am also excited about UCF this year. The only times that I refer to Nebraska here is when there are parallels that can be applicable to a conversation or for a reference point. My entire point in this thread is that for whatever reason some fans think that money is the solution, UCF is always getting screwed, and to point out the dichotomy of both having a superiority AND an inferiority complex at the same time.

Some UCF fans get it. In 2017, UCF deserved a spot in the playoffs but wasnt afforded the opportunity due to bias, and rightfully claim a national title BECAUSE the team was superior. Then there are some who claim a title for no other reason than BECAUSE UCF was excluded from the playoff and want to be a victim.

Newsflash: UCF was the best team in the country last year in spite of having a financial disadvantage. That in and of itself is evidence that money doesn't matter as much as some want to act like.

Newsflash 2: if you as a fan want UCF to have a budget that is on par with P5 teams then fill the frigging stadium and buy gear. Do you think teams like Nebraska, Oklahoma, Ohio St just happened to luck into money? No, they have money because the fans are committed to supporting their team beyond just posting on a message board.

Sorry, but I have absolutely no pity for the returning national champs.

We are happy with the talent we bring in despite our short history, small budget and lack of CFP access.

We also believe we can do better with our recent success, a larger budget and equal CFP access.

Is that so hard to understand

No, it isnt hard to understand at all. I just dont get the double-speak about how UCF has all of these recruiting advantages and how other teams can't compare but then say we need more money to be able to get better athletes. Either you arent getting athletes good enough to win a national title and last year is bunk, or you are getting athletes good enough to win a national title and last year is legit. Just pick one and go with it.

No, it isnt hard to understand at all. I just dont get the double-speak about how UCF has all of these recruiting advantages and how other teams can't compare but then say we need more money to be able to get better athletes. Either you arent getting athletes good enough to win a national title and last year is bunk, or you are getting athletes good enough to win a national title and last year is legit. Just pick one and go with it.
We are talking about sustainability and the future. Yes, UCF has some advantages over several P5 programs. For example living in Florida is much nicer than Lincoln, Nebraska. And UCF has been much more successful lately than let's say, Nebraska. So we capitalize on those advantages and out-recruit some P5 bottom feeders such as Nebraska. We would like a larger budget and equal access so we can sustain our success and even improve our recruiting to the level of more respected P5 programs.

I just think it's weird that you are always on this site... you constantly refer to a team no one here cares about or has ties to. Yes, our last coach left to coach at his Alma Mater, but move on! It's a new season and a new year. Go share your excitement with other Nebraska fans, not us! I just can't understand why you're a fan of Nebraska and yet constantly posting on a UCF board... It's gotten really old.
Slow down Charlie Brown. We care about Nebraska. Care to watch them lose.

Reactions: firm_bizzle
Yes we have some recruiting advantages but we lose out on a lot of guys because of P5 Tag. I don’t really care about the money. Just the affiliation. The money is a plus.

Slow down Charlie Brown. We care about Nebraska. Care to watch them lose.
Yes.., I’m going to have to agree with you. I understand there are a lot of people who are annoyed with NGEbraska and their Troll fans, but I’m clearly interested in this game. For all the wrong reasons. I’m actually upset that I’m missing it due to tailgating

Yes.., I’m going to have to agree with you. I understand there are a lot of people who are annoyed with NGEbraska and their Troll fans, but I’m clearly interested in this game. For all the wrong reasons. I’m actually upset that I’m missing it due to tailgating
I’ll be watching. CUs QB is going to go ham on them.

Reactions: Mikesi

You guys dont bring TVs out to the tailgate?

You guys dont bring TVs out to the tailgate?
Cabana has games on. Is it on ESPN? I’m working on the TV thing. I do not know how to get cable TV at games. Right now I use watch ESPN App and have Beatspill for sound.

What’s your setup for tailgating?

Cabana has games on. Is it on ESPN? I’m working on the TV thing. I do not know how to get cable TV at games. Right now I use watch ESPN App and have Beatspill for sound.

Cabana TVs don't work.

The game is on ABC. Tailgating here is serious business. There are guys who retrofit busses or motorhomes with commercial kitchens inside and have TVs mounted on the outside and have games on all day long. Lots of tents with TVs and bars set up doing the same. With ROKU and firestick, having TVs out there is pretty much the norm anymore.

Crazyhole,

I think you're one of the few rational Nebraska fans. However, you are mistaken if you think money doesn't play a large role in how successful a football program can be.

You cite that it wasn't long ago that Nebraska was only getting millions for their media contract, yet money was being funneled into the program due to the 80,000 fans/sellouts. That's because your school has been playing football since 1890 and there isn't remotely as much to do during the football season in Lincoln as there is in Orlando or Florida for that matter. Clearly, that is a recipe for success regarding sustaining a football program with much needed funds.

The notoriety of being in a Power 5 conference is actually much more beneficial than the media contract money in of itself. 4*/5* kids want to compete at the highest level and even though we claim a NC, it's not the same as playing for it in the CFI. No matter how much we try to justify it. Same with high caliber coaches. They want a crack at the best.

If UCF joined the B12, they would automatically have a monsterous advantage compared to most of the P5. Better games = more bandwagon fans = more revenue from merchandise and more donations. It's a chain reaction.

It's probably hard to see that with the incredible amount of resources Nebraska has had and the lackluster results. But being located in the center of the most fertile territory for football athletes with a University President and AD committed to football excellence, it wouldn't be long before UCF started crashing the Top 10 more often than not. UF has too much politics/bull gator influence meddling in their program which is holding them back.

The game is on ABC. Tailgating here is serious business. There are guys who retrofit busses or motorhomes with commercial kitchens inside and have TVs mounted on the outside and have games on all day long. Lots of tents with TVs and bars set up doing the same. With ROKU and firestick, having TVs out there is pretty much the norm anymore.
Awesome!! All those high tech rich Cornholios watching the Buffaloes take down the NGEbraska saviors (Frost and Martinez)

I rather watch a win in person and struggle with my I-Phone with crappy reception

Tailgating is fun!!

Winning is serious business!!!

Crazyhole,

I think you're one of the few rational Nebraska fans. However, you are mistaken if you think money doesn't play a large role in how successful a football program can be.

You cite that it wasn't long ago that Nebraska was only getting millions for their media contract, yet money was being funneled into the program due to the 80,000 fans/sellouts. That's because your school has been playing football since 1890 and there isn't remotely as much to do during the football season in Lincoln as there is in Orlando or Florida for that matter. Clearly, that is a recipe for success regarding sustaining a football program with much needed funds.

The notoriety of being in a Power 5 conference is actually much more beneficial than the media contract money in of itself. 4*/5* kids want to compete at the highest level and even though we claim a NC, it's not the same as playing for it in the CFI. No matter how much we try to justify it. Same with high caliber coaches. They want a crack at the best.

If UCF joined the B12, they would automatically have a monsterous advantage compared to most of the P5. Better games = more bandwagon fans = more revenue from merchandise and more donations. It's a chain reaction.

It's probably hard to see that with the incredible amount of resources Nebraska has had and the lackluster results. But being located in the center of the most fertile territory for football athletes with a University President and AD committed to football excellence, it wouldn't be long before UCF started crashing the Top 10 more often than not. UF has too much politics/bull gator influence meddling in their program which is holding them back.

I can't really disagree with any of that. I guess the catch-22 that UCF is in is basically what you said. How does a team get into the P5 if there isnt a big enough fanbase, when the team needs to be in the P5 to have a big enough fanbase? I suppose I cant relate to it because Nebraska has always had both.

Hopefully UCF can continue being an elite team for the next few years and start building the fanbase and generate more revenue on its own. We will probably have another round of conference realignment in 4 or 5 years so if UCF can become a more attractive target over that time then the Big12 or ACC will have no choice but to extend an offer.

I can't really disagree with any of that. I guess the catch-22 that UCF is in is basically what you said. How does a team get into the P5 if there isnt a big enough fanbase, when the team needs to be in the P5 to have a big enough fanbase? I suppose I cant relate to it because Nebraska has always had both.

Hopefully UCF can continue being an elite team for the next few years and start building the fanbase and generate more revenue on its own. We will probably have another round of conference realignment in 4 or 5 years so if UCF can become a more attractive target over that time then the Big12 or ACC will have no choice but to extend an offer.
Being in a P5 conference has almost nothing to do with attendance. Then explain why Maryland and Rutgers were brought into the B12? We aren't in a P5 conference because of greed...period. Current members want to hoard the money and they think any new members means a smaller cut of the pie. You guys weren't considered full Big Ten members for like 5 years...why? Because of self-interest, that's why. The other schools got more money.

Explain this for 2018?
Texas played at Maryland. They had 47k show up.
Indiana hosted Virginia and attendance was 35k.
Rutgers hosted Texas State and attendance was 40k.
Purdue hosted Northwestern and attendance was 47k.
Northwestern hosted Duke and attendance was 41k.
Minnesota hosted new Mexico State and attendance was 41k.
Minnesota hosted Fresno State and attendance was 38k.
Illinois hosted Western Illinois and attendance was 38k.
Illinois hosted Kent State and attendance was 32k.

I thought all P5 programs had 90k show up for every game?

For some stats we now graduate ~15k per year. Total degrees given is 313k (founded in 1968....which means first degrees basically given in 1972). By comparison, since 1970 Total Nebraska degrees conferred are 192k. Nebraska now graduates ~5k per year. Just our #18 TV market has 1.5 million viewers. The state of Nebraska, for example, has 1.9 million total people. Our numbers can not and will not be ignored or denied when you extrapolate it out into the future.

Oh yeah, we also have to compete with FSU, Miami, UF, FAU, USF, and FIU for the casual fan or local. You have no competition in state to take fans away. If you think these are chump change, FIU has about 57k students enrolled.

Last edited:
Reactions: MercedesKnight
Being in a P5 conference has almost nothing to do with attendance. Then explain why Maryland and Rutgers were brought into the B12? We aren't in a P5 conference because of greed...period. Current members want to hoard the money and they think any new members means a smaller cut of the pie. You guys weren't considered full Big Ten members for like 5 years...why? Because of self-interest, that's why. The other schools got more money.

Explain this for 2018?
Texas played at Maryland. They had 47k show up.
Indiana hosted Virginia and attendance was 35k.
Rutgers hosted Texas State and attendance was 40k.
Purdue hosted Northwestern and attendance was 47k.
Northwestern hosted Duke and attendance was 41k.
Minnesota hosted new Mexico State and attendance was 41k.
Minnesota hosted Fresno State and attendance was 38k.
Illinois hosted Western Illinois and attendance was 38k.
Illinois hosted Kent State and attendance was 32k.

I thought all P5 programs had 90k show up for every game?

For some stats we now graduate ~15k per year. Total degrees given is 313k (founded in 1968). By comparison, since 1970 Total Nebraska degrees conferred are 192k. Nebraska now graduates ~5k per year. Just our #18 TV market has 1.5 million viewers. The state of Nebraska, for example, has 1.9 million total people. Our numbers can not and will not be ignored or denied when you extrapolate it out into the future.

I'm not disagreeing, but will add this: Orlando is a huge media market so it SHOULD be attractive for the P5 conferences, just like Maryland and Rutgers were for the Big10. So why hasnt UCF received an invite? Possibly because the fanbase doesn't have a history of showing up, tuning in, etc. Its been said over and over that there are other things to do in Orlando on saturdays so people go elsewhere, but that right there is the problem. Yes, P5 conferences make decisions based on money, and until UCF brings more money into the fray they won't be an attractive option. Look at Houston. Thats a bigger market than Orlando but they aren't getting any offers. Cincinnati, Memphis, and Tulsa are pretty comparable as well but they arent getting invites either right now.

I guess the question really becomes "which conference would benefit from adding UCF"? The ACC already covers pretty much the entire state of Florida for their media market. The SEC has a team not too far away, so they have little to gain. The Big12 is run by Texas and all they care about is Texas. In all honesty, the Big10 is probably the most likely to see UCF as a chance to expand their media market but geographically it doesnt make sense. Like I said earlier, until the UCF fanbase shows more commitment to the team and starts producing more revenue for the program then nothing is going to change.

I'm not disagreeing, but will add this: Orlando is a huge media market so it SHOULD be attractive for the P5 conferences, just like Maryland and Rutgers were for the Big10. So why hasnt UCF received an invite? Possibly because the fanbase doesn't have a history of showing up, tuning in, etc. Its been said over and over that there are other things to do in Orlando on saturdays so people go elsewhere, but that right there is the problem. Yes, P5 conferences make decisions based on money, and until UCF brings more money into the fray they won't be an attractive option. Look at Houston. Thats a bigger market than Orlando but they aren't getting any offers. Cincinnati, Memphis, and Tulsa are pretty comparable as well but they arent getting invites either right now.

I guess the question really becomes "which conference would benefit from adding UCF"? The ACC already covers pretty much the entire state of Florida for their media market. The SEC has a team not too far away, so they have little to gain. The Big12 is run by Texas and all they care about is Texas. In all honesty, the Big10 is probably the most likely to see UCF as a chance to expand their media market but geographically it doesnt make sense. Like I said earlier, until the UCF fanbase shows more commitment to the team and starts producing more revenue for the program then nothing is going to change.
The Big 12 is a mess. They started a Championship game again last year without having divisions so teams in that title game are guaranteed to already have played each other. In fact, if they had the game in 2015 and 2016 they would have had the scenario where two teams play each other two weeks in a row. What if the team that lost the first game then wins the second games....thus eliminating the conference from being in the CFI.
? Idiocy if you ask me. Who wants to watch two teams play two weeks in a row?....few college football fans.

That's not a problem if you add, say UCF, USF, Houston, and Memphis or Cincy, and create East/West divisions where you throw in West Virginia, TCU, Iowa State, and Baylor to create the East division (or whatever teams you want to pick). It's a legit realignment, creates a 14 team conference with stability, and adds massive TV markets of Houston, Orlando, and Tampa, not to mention the Florida footprint created. They just seem so short-sighted.

I think the key is someone will cherry pick Texas + Oklahoma, and the remaining conferences will pick up the scraps, with no gaurantee for the other Big 12 teams that they won't be left out to dry, such was the case when The Big East fell apart.

It's not a playoff. It's a Invitational. UCFans needs to have their UCFacts straight. Especially about these 3 things:
  1. ESP5N Cartel
  2. We are a P6 just like the Big East always was (Know your heritage UCFolks)
  3. It's an Invitationals
#UCFacts

Reactions: Stormthecourt?
The long game is going to be having 4- 16 team conferences: SEC, ACC, Big10, and Pac 12.

Right now those conferences have 54 teams so there are 10 spots left. Out of the Big12, Texas, Oklahoma, and West Virginia will definitely be top targets by those other conferences. So who are the most likely to fill the last 7 spots?

Kansas, Houston, Cincinnati, UCF, USF, Oklahoma St, UConn, TCU, and Toledo probably bring more to the table than others.

Oklahoma and Oklahoma St. are tied at the hip and the legislature won't let them go separate ways so thats 1 additional spot gone. The conference most likely to take them in tandem would be the SEC. The ACC won't go too far outside of their footprint so I'd guess that WVU and UConn or Cincinnati since UCF and USF dont bring additional media markets. The Pac12 wants Texas but Texas may go independent because they have a superiority complex so they are basically left with TCU and Houston or Kansas. The Big10 is really the wildcard here. WVU doesn't bring an additional media market because that area is pretty much already covered. Kansas makes sense but the KC market is split with Missouri so all they really have is their national following for basketball and Basketball isnt a huge revenue source. They already have Ohio covered so Toledo and Cincy are out. That basically leaves us with the Big10 either making a move to get into Texas or Florida. IF they make the first move and Texas is on board then they try to get Texas and TCU. If not, I could absolutely see them try to take UCF and USF. I cant see taking TCU without Texas and a Florida school, but AAU accreditation is a factor so its a possibility. At that point its a tossup on who the more attractive program is.

The long game is going to be having 4- 16 team conferences: SEC, ACC, Big10, and Pac 12.

Right now those conferences have 54 teams so there are 10 spots left. Out of the Big12, Texas, Oklahoma, and West Virginia will definitely be top targets by those other conferences. So who are the most likely to fill the last 7 spots?

Kansas, Houston, Cincinnati, UCF, USF, Oklahoma St, UConn, TCU, and Toledo probably bring more to the table than others.

Oklahoma and Oklahoma St. are tied at the hip and the legislature won't let them go separate ways so thats 1 additional spot gone. The conference most likely to take them in tandem would be the SEC. The ACC won't go too far outside of their footprint so I'd guess that WVU and UConn or Cincinnati since UCF and USF dont bring additional media markets. The Pac12 wants Texas but Texas may go independent because they have a superiority complex so they are basically left with TCU and Houston or Kansas. The Big10 is really the wildcard here. WVU doesn't bring an additional media market because that area is pretty much already covered. Kansas makes sense but the KC market is split with Missouri so all they really have is their national following for basketball and Basketball isnt a huge revenue source. They already have Ohio covered so Toledo and Cincy are out. That basically leaves us with the Big10 either making a move to get into Texas or Florida. IF they make the first move and Texas is on board then they try to get Texas and TCU. If not, I could absolutely see them try to take UCF and USF. I cant see taking TCU without Texas and a Florida school, but AAU accreditation is a factor so its a possibility. At that point its a tossup on who the more attractive program is.
I’m the only person on here, with the exception of Poolside maybe, who wants to cozy up to the PAC12. They will need to fill a couple spots and I’m sure they’d love the FL market
And before people chime in with “but it’s so far”, y’all keep wanting to add Boise to the AAC. Same distance

I’m the only person on here, with the exception of Poolside maybe, who wants to cozy up to the PAC12. They will need to fill a couple spots and I’m sure they’d love the FL market
And before people chime in with “but it’s so far”, y’all keep wanting to add Boise to the AAC. Same distance
There's no way the PAC12 is going to add a Florida team. Logistically that would be a nightmare for travel and gametimes. You guys would be playing 12am games

For realignment we are in a bad situation.

1. The Big 12 will fall apart soon. It's doing poorly anyway and OU and TX will be picked off soon.
2. PAC12 is so far away. It is expensive to travel so far increasing costs on us as well as every other team in the PAC12. AND athletic performance is reduced by long travel.
3. Adding UCF and south florida to any P5 conference will make competition for elite recruits more difficult. Some will say we'll still get better recruits than now but we need to recruit better than everyone else is a new conference. This will be impossible with five "P5" teams in our state.

Our best option is to keep kicking ass and cause the AAC to rise behind us.
Our second best option is to jump to a "P5" conference as soon as possible but to leave south florida behind.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT