ADVERTISEMENT

Spring Practice begins ⚔️🖤💛

Can’t believe I sat here and read posts from uninformed fans going on and on about how uncommitted and/or selfish JRP is based off what (a short video of him giving a tour of UCF’s training facility lol)?

I couldn’t care less if he’s QB1 next year or not, I will support whoever wins the job (and the next man up as well). But I respect the hell out of Plumlee for doing his best to play two sports and make it all work.

Can’t believe I sat here and read posts from uninformed fans going on and on about how uncommitted and/or selfish JRP is based off what (a short video of him giving a tour of UCF’s training facility lol)?

I couldn’t care less if he’s QB1 next year or not, I will support whoever wins the job (and the next man up as well). But I respect the hell out of Plumlee for doing his best to play two sports and make it all work.
I don't blame JRP. He has a much higher chance to play professional baseball... There's simply way more jobs as an outfielder in the professional baseball system relative to the QB position in professional football.

If every NFL team has 3 QBs, that's 96 jobs.
If every baseball team has 6 outfielders in the MLB and minors, that's 500 jobs.

In the end, all anyone cares about is wins. End of last season Plumlee struggled, whether it was injuries, play calling, or whatever, he struggled. He is committed to helping both baseball and football, but with that it means he can't 100% be committed to football. So if he doesn't improve next season its something to point at, but also reality is thats it's on Malzahn not Plumlee.

If Obarski kicked 1000 fgs every day last offseason, he still would have been raked over the coals with his performance on the field, if you found out Obarski was playing another sport and reduced his ability to focus on just kicking, people would absolutely say that is the reason he wasn't as good as he needed to be.

Baseball team looking like its an also ran in the conference with no postseason aspirations doesn't help.

Reactions: Poolside Knight
I don't blame JRP. He has a much higher chance to play professional baseball... There's simply way more jobs as an outfielder in the professional baseball system relative to the QB position in professional football.

If every NFL team has 3 QBs, that's 96 jobs.
If every baseball team has 6 outfielders in the MLB and minors, that's 500 jobs.
More than that. You have rookie ball, High A, AA, AAA and Majors. Some probably have more than 6 Outfielders. But at least 30 per organization and 30 or so teams. Closer to 900. Even Japan is an option. Football it’s either NFL or you aren’t making a lot of money.

In the end, all anyone cares about is wins. End of last season Plumlee struggled, whether it was injuries, play calling, or whatever, he struggled. He is committed to helping both baseball and football, but with that it means he can't 100% be committed to football. So if he doesn't improve next season its something to point at, but also reality is thats it's on Malzahn not Plumlee.

If Obarski kicked 1000 fgs every day last offseason, he still would have been raked over the coals with his performance on the field, if you found out Obarski was playing another sport and reduced his ability to focus on just kicking, people would absolutely say that is the reason he wasn't as good as he needed to be.

Baseball team looking like its an also ran in the conference with no postseason aspirations doesn't help.
I don’t disagree with a lot of what you said, but I would just push back on the not 100% committed (just because he’s playing another sport). He’s managing his time in a way that most adults can’t comprehend or pull off, let alone a college student-athlete.

My original comment was more directed at people that jumped all over him about not being committed to football without waiting to find out that he was actually going to find a way to do both (assuming that he was just going to skip spring football all together, which obviously hasn’t been the case).

Reactions: 90Knight
I don’t disagree with a lot of what you said, but I would just push back on the not 100% committed (just because he’s playing another sport). He’s managing his time in a way that most adults can’t comprehend or pull off, let alone a college student-athlete.

My original comment was more directed at people that jumped all over him about not being committed to football without waiting to find out that he was actually going to find a way to do both (assuming that he was just going to skip spring football all together, which obviously hasn’t been the case).
That is correct, and I thought the same about him not doing spring camp which was wrong. Now whether that has been a positive is another story, has his performance on the baseball team stayed at a high level since spring camp started and how has he done in spring camp.

I want to see more of this guy, looked good in limited action last year
Sounds like he will be playing Bowser's role. I like how he comes across as well spoken for his age. Gus will probably get onto him about not talking about the offensive line, though.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT