ADVERTISEMENT

***Spring Update with Darin Hinshaw ⚔️🏈

Brandon

Publisher
Staff
May 28, 2001
Winter Park, FL
www.ucfsports.com

As UCF enters the final stretch of spring practice, offensive coordinator Darin Hinshaw talks about his group and how they're adapting to his new system.

Asked for a general update at the onset, Hinshaw said they've installed a lot of new terminology this spring. He believes the first and second teams are getting to a point of mastering it. From day one to day 10, he likes how they've worked.

On the three quarterbacks, Hinshaw has seen a "huge improvement especially with the footwork." He said they were "all over the place" at the beginning regarding drop technique, not shuffling up in the pocket too fast, not running out of the pocket too quickly, trusting the OL and WRs, knowing where the reads are, coverages, etc. The defense has been throwing a lot of coverages at them.

"I'm excited where we are at the quarterback position. We've made a lot of great plays. We've worked ourselves out of a lot of bad habits and we're now creating good habits."

Hinshaw talked about the offensive line and pass protection, just the need to continue to work hard at it. He reiterated again about working with the QBs in the pocket, trying to get them to understand that even if the pocket gets smaller that doesn't mean the play is over and it's time to scramble.

Asked about the scrimmage on Thursday, Hinshaw said their goal is always to get two first downs right away. I guess they started the scrimmage from the one-yard line. They had four attempts and on one of them they went 99 yards and scored. He's obviously talking about stuff we didn't see so it's somewhat hard to follow - sounds the 1s and 2s didn't do well early on.

He then talked about the need to score touchdowns in the red zone and how UCF had to settle for too many field goals last year. UCF was 109th in the country in the red zone. Too many turnovers and missed assignments in the red zone. He says they have improved in the red zone this spring.

Loved this question from Jason Beede: From what you've seen so far this spring, going into the Big 12, how confident do you feel you have what you need at quarterback?

"I 100 percent percent feel confident at quarterback. 100 percent. The bottom line is we're not finished. We're not even close to where we need to be. We still have a long time until September to develop and continue to work on our footwork and work in detail everything that we're doing on offense. Again, that's going to be the key. May, June and July that we really put forth an effort of game-like situations when we can't create that game-like situation. Mentality wise we have to do that. Again, work ourselves in the position where in August and we put the pads on that we're ready to roll."

Hinshaw spoke about the RBs. "We have an unbelievable running back room. I'm excited about whoever is playing. They can all run the ball and catch the ball. The ball security is better."

I asked about players making strides this spring and Hinshaw basically ran down the roster.

Said all QBs have shown improvement. Excited about all of them.

On the WRs, said Xavier Townsend has made plays. Doing a good job at the slot. Said Javon Baker and Kobe Hudson are the leaders out there. He said Jaylon Griffin was doing well, but tore a ligament in his thumb. He actually did it in a practice and continued to play. It's not a long recovery. Then said Dionte Marks has "showed signs." Jarrod Baker made a play in the scrimmage. Trent Whittemore has been making plays. Tyler Griffin has been "making plays." Quan Lee has "done some good things."

On the OL, Hinshaw said Herb Hand is mixing guys around. Marcellus Marshall has been playing tackle and guard. Bula Schmidt is showing good signs and so is Caden Kitler.

At TE, Alec Holler is a leader and doing everything right. Randy Pittman is doing a ton of great things. Grant Stevens too.

I asked specifically about Timmy McClain:

"He has progressed. Again, mastering the offense is the thing I keep telling him. Master the offense. And his footwork. But his arm talent, his speed, he's a very talented quarterback. Again, this summer will be big for him."

Hinshaw says UCF played three quarterbacks last year so he tells the room they need to be ready. "Whoever starts, doesn't matter. Everybody has to get ready to play."

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News