ADVERTISEMENT

Starbucks, Social Marketing, and Attendance

Steve A.

Todd's Tiki Bar
May 29, 2001
With a title like that, this is bound to be a long post but I'll try to keep it short.

My wife, who is 7 months pregnant and barely drinks coffee or goes to Starbucks, just got an email through their app. If she visits Starbucks 3 times in the next 10 days, she'll earn 100 "bonus stars." Bonus Stars add up to a free item. We made sure to stop in Starbucks at Target today (married life) and order her a pastry and me a coffee (which she paid for to earn those stars).

I, on the other hand, go to Starbucks 1-2 times per day during the week. It's usually an office between meetings for me downtown. Starbucks knows this and therefore I didn't get the same offer. My offers are usually like "Visit Starbucks 4 times in the next 48 hours and earn 50 bonus stars." They know they don't need to try hard to get me in the door but they'd like to see me in even more. Sometimes it affects where I squat between meetings.

They can do this because they are tracking both of our consumer behavior. They pitch different products and incentives based on what we respond to. It's obviously not just Starbucks that does this but companies do it because it works.

UCF should be employing this concept known as "gamification" to increase attendance by deploying the right promotions to the right target audiences at the right times. It's not just giving away free stuff. Badges and social currency work. Sometimes it's a combination of real swag or discounts for swag with social currency. If anyone here is a World of Beer Loyalty member, they know that earning the badges is just as relevant as getting an eventual t-shirt. Badges are free for the company but when done right people value them. UCF example: "Earn the "War on I-4 Badge by attending UCF vs USF in 3 different sports." or earn the "I Was There Badge by attending 2 games where UCF defeats a Top 25 team in any sport."

UCF does now have an app. They have a basic loyalty points program. But I dont think the scope is big enough to do more than reward existing customers. I can't pretend to know how well it is working for them. I just see what we all see in the stands. The great student turnout may indeed be because of this program and that doesn't need to go away. But if alumni and the community aren't coming out, then it's time to broaden the rewards beyond free pizza before the game and partner with sponsors to make it appealing to alumni and residents that aren't buying in.

"Congrats - you've been to at least 8 games. Redeem your Volunteer Coach badge for 50% off a gameday polo at the bookstore" Wouldn't that be cool?

I agree, Chris. We need to embrace the younger fanbase we have by targeting the fact that we are all glued to our phones anyway. I even think like a free hot dog or drink could go a long way as well. I know when we do go out to eat where check our apps to see where we have the most points first!

Starbucks is hot burnt mudwater. They employ a points program because their product is horrible but, somehow, everywhere. It's basically the Bud light of coffee, if bud light charged 2 and a half times what the product was worth.

Your idea is good, though. I just hate Starbucks and rag on them whenever possible.

Reactions: NestaKnight1
Wait, I got it...how about we take something you would normally sew onto something, but then stick it on a lanyard...then create a bunch of buzz around it. Like, some kind of Patch or something...
How about miniature statues so families will be safe from evil. Imagine your Gator friends immediately converting to the Knights at the site of your household statue. Robbers would leave stuff for you. Your poops would never smell and your children would never disobey. Your wife's boobs would grow two sizes and she would lose the power of speech except to say the word "yes." Such is the power of the statue.

Reactions: jestert79
We just need Snapchat points for entering Spectrum stadium.

UCF doesnt have the infrastructure to take on many of the social and retargeting campaigns that large billion dollar chains do, even with our current app and tech.

FIU did something like this a few years back. I don't remember the specifics, but it was essentially a point system where if you attended every home game, you either won a tablet or were eligible to win one in a drawing (although the ridiculousness of the story makes me think it was the aforementioned since much commentary on the cost was brought up)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT