ADVERTISEMENT

Steelers’ John Rhys Plumlee Makes It Clear That He’s Not Taysom Hill: 'I Am A Quarterback'

Matt Wright also played in the Steelers/Texans game but missed his only XP attempt. NFL kicking it cutthroat so hoping he can get it going.

Matt Wright also played in the Steelers/Texans game but missed his only XP attempt. NFL kicking it cutthroat so hoping he can get it going.
Matt Wright is such an inspirational story.. I hope he latches on with a team. Anyone know if he got a ring with the cheifs in 2022. (I know he wasn't on the roster during the superbowl but he did appear in several games during the year)

No one thought his skillset was appropriate for NFL QB. However, it does appear every other coach that has had Plumlee on his roster seems to believe he is more effective to play any other position except QB.

Why is it almost always the QB's that have an issue changing positions. Play wherever the hell they ask you to play. The coaches are there to win games, not feed egos. Several former QB's doing well in the league at other positions.

I'm not a Malzahn apologist at all. However, who do you think would have done better for us last year? Timmy? Cmon.

Plumlee gave us the best chance, especially when healthy.
I would say the issue more lies with sacrificing two promising young QBs that had 3+ years of eligibility in Keene and Castellanos for Plumlee to get blown out in two bowl games.

Castellanos as a redshirt freshman put up similar numbers to Plumlee, won more games, and beat a ranked opponent in a bowl game.

Reactions: lawknight
In my opinion, Gus's mistake with Plumlee was to allow him to play baseball. All that working out and running (with no rest) he was doing caused his hamstring to go out. Hamstrings don't heal overnight. 3 -6 months to be back at 100 percent and there is always a chance for another pull while sprinting. Like from 1st to 2nd base.

I'm not a Malzahn apologist at all. However, who do you think would have done better for us last year? Timmy? Cmon.

Plumlee gave us the best chance, especially when healthy.

I would say the issue more lies with sacrificing two promising young QBs that had 3+ years of eligibility in Keene and Castellanos for Plumlee to get blown out in two bowl games.

Castellanos as a redshirt freshman put up similar numbers to Plumlee, won more games, and beat a ranked opponent in a bowl game.
What Gwoz said . You basically had Keene and Castellenos leave to stay loyal to him to get blown out in a pre Christmas Bowl game . You made him a project when he was in school 4 years already

Last edited:
Reactions: lawknight
What Gwoz said . You basically had Keene and Castellenos leave to stay loyal to him to get blown out in a pre Christmas Bowl game . You made him a project when he was in school 4 years already
He also kept his word on a high level transfer. I'm sure he has used that to lure other high level transfers... "Hey, I gave JRP my word and I stuck to it."

I'm not there on Gus the in-game coach, but I'm definitely there on Gus the recruiter...

Reactions: U C to the F
In my opinion, Gus's mistake with Plumlee was to allow him to play baseball. All that working out and running (with no rest) he was doing caused his hamstring to go out. Hamstrings don't heal overnight. 3 -6 months to be back at 100 percent and there is always a chance for another pull while sprinting. Like from 1st to 2nd base.
Idk, Plumlee got injured from not sliding while scrambling

He also kept his word on a high level transfer. I'm sure he has used that to lure other high level transfers... "Hey, I gave JRP my word and I stuck to it."

I'm not there on Gus the in-game coach, but I'm definitely there on Gus the recruiter...
Putting one player ahead of the team is also a message that the locker room pays attention to.

JRP only played 1 year of baseball. That had nothing to do with the injury. But Gus gets the blame because his best option was JRP. Without knowing what truly happened, he ran DG out of town who was better than any QB we had after Milton. He’s still playing and we probably get a few more wins if he stayed. Only way this turns out good is if JRP makes an impact in NFL. That would help recruiting. If not it was a wasted 2 years. Not enough wins and he can’t tell guys he’ll get them to NFL using JRP as proof.

Putting one player ahead of the team is also a message that the locker room pays attention to.
How was he putting one player ahead of the team? We did not have a better option last year. Period.

I think Gus is KILLING it on the recruiting side. Call it “car salesman” if you like but he’s doing a great job bringing in players we have never been able to attract in the past.

I’m still not sure on his game day approach and play calling but the rest, I think he’s doing a good job.

How was he putting one player ahead of the team? We did not have a better option last year. Period.

I think Gus is KILLING it on the recruiting side. Call it “car salesman” if you like but he’s doing a great job bringing in players we have never been able to attract in the past.

I’m still not sure on his game day approach and play calling but the rest, I think he’s doing a good job.
He was better option because he ran off anyone that could have been better. B12 tag and being in Florida plus NIL is doing the recruiting. He’s not the only one in world that would be doing good here. Only reason we lost out on top tier guys in past was being G5 or worse. He better be recruiting good here with P4 label.

Reactions: Poolside Knight
He was better option because he ran off anyone that could have been better. B12 tag and being in Florida plus NIL is doing the recruiting. He’s not the only one in world that would be doing good here. Only reason we lost out on top tier guys in past was being G5 or worse. He better be recruiting good here with P4 label.
This. it feels like there is this arrogance from Gus or those around him that only he can do this at UCF when the on the field results haven’t showed yet. NIL is a curveball but every conference UCF has been in we have been one of the nicest destinations and accessible location to recruits. Gus isn’t the only coach that can recruit to UCF.

Last edited:
Reactions: BlakNGoldAllDay
This. it feels like there is this arrogance from Gus or those around him that only he can do this at UCF when the on the field results haven’t showed yet. NIL is a curveball but every conference UCF has been we have been one of the nicest destinations and accessible location to recruits. Gus isn’t the only coach that can recruit to UCF.
Whoever is coach gets propped up, when Malzahn leaves he will be ripped to shreds. Much like Heupel and Frost.

Heupel lost luster in his last season, but the board didn't really turn on him until he left. Then he became the proclaimed program destroyer. The guy that left the team with a QB that is now the Heisman favorite, linebacker that was a team leader that finished a regular season undefeated, RB that could be a doak award winner, and a DL that won a national championship.

Reactions: BlakNGoldAllDay
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT