ADVERTISEMENT

Still in the dark ages...

DaShuckster

Diamond Knight
Nov 30, 2003
...when it comes to voting.

In an age where we can purchase stuff and pay bills on secured internet lines, we're still voting -- in most cases -- in person with paper ballots?!?!?!

And in an age where we can conduct business online 24/7, we're voting in person -- in many cases -- during a limited period of time on a single day!?!!?!? (Unless your state allows 'early' voting during limited weekday hours.)

When it comes to voting, our local, state, and national officials are fond of proclaiming we need more citizens to vote. But in the very same breath, they do absolutely nothing to make voting easier for the average, non-politics-obsessed citizen. In fact, more often than not, they make it harder for crying out loud.

I'm surprised we're no longer required to arrive at our designated voting precinct in horse and buggy.

Hey, I’m all for digital voting. Let’s implement 2-factor authentication for all legal voters and do this thing up right.

Hey, I’m all for digital voting. Let’s implement 2-factor authentication for all legal voters and do this thing up right.

Omigod, if States go to online voting and require registered voters to change their passwords every 90 days, I'm screwed.

Omigod, if States go to online voting and require registered voters to change their passwords every 90 days, I'm screwed.
Haha, right? NIST actually updated their guidelines to make much more sense but no one has adopted them yet. You’d be totally hosed with the number of passwords I have to remember that are 2 upper, 2 lower, 2 special, at least 14 chars, and don’t contain the same 4-char repetition sequence for the last 10+ password and must be changed every 45-90 days depending on which one. That’s in addition to multiple tokens.

You’d be totally hosed with the number of passwords I have to remember that are 2 upper, 2 lower, 2 special, at least 14 chars, and don’t contain the same 4-char repetition sequence for the last 10+ password and must be changed every 45-90 days depending on which one. That’s in addition to multiple tokens.

Yes, I'm old and have trouble remembering the simplest of passwords. But these new requirements for upper/lower/special characters, no repeats, etc. are just plain ridiculous.

Show me any company that uses these requirements and I'll show you an employee desk that has these stupid passwords written down. So are our systems really safer???

Yes, I'm old and have trouble remembering the simplest of passwords. But these new requirements for upper/lower/special characters, no repeats, etc. are just plain ridiculous.

Show me any company that uses these requirements and I'll show you an employee desk that has these stupid passwords written down. So are our systems really safer???
Nope. That’s why NIST issued new guidelines.

My company has these requirements and people don’t write them down. Swing and a miss.

Haha, right? NIST actually updated their guidelines to make much more sense but no one has adopted them yet. You’d be totally hosed with the number of passwords I have to remember that are 2 upper, 2 lower, 2 special, at least 14 chars, and don’t contain the same 4-char repetition sequence for the last 10+ password and must be changed every 45-90 days depending on which one. That’s in addition to multiple tokens.
regular is 12char; 1 upper, 1 lower, 1 special, no more than 5 char dictionary words, must be different than 10 previous with 90 days
admin is 15 and same other rules but 45 days.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT