ADVERTISEMENT

Strength of Schedule

Losing the game to a top 10 team would mean nothing. Navy lost @ top 10 Notre Dame by 7. Nobody cared. SMU trailed @ TCU 35-29 entering the 4th quarter before TCU pulled away. Then 2 of the worst teams in the conference got blown out by Oklahoma and Oklahoma State. Unless the games are won nobody cares. Also if a team is top 10 and loses to an AAC team odds are they aren't sniffing the top 10 any more anyway. Houston beat Arizona on the road who was ranked top 25 in early November. Memphis beat a ranked UCLA. It is hard for any team to beat a top 10 team anyway no matter the conference.

To be fair, if Navy only lost to UCF (cause we're the best example always) it would have to be counted as a good loss.
If SMU lost to UCF and Navy but beat everyone else after losing to TCU it would have to be counted as a good loss.
Unfortunately it didnt happen.
Would the good loss rule apply to UCF, Navy and SMU? I doubt it, but hey lets do one and dones with these guys and say hey we played these guys, this should put us in the Top 14 at the very least on the condition that we have a winning record.
Mississippi State set the precedent. No excuses.

Losing the game to a top 10 team would mean nothing. Unless the games are won nobody cares. .

Tell that to all of the folks here who keep going on about "quality losses." Is it your position that losing to Alabama by 7 points in prime time on CBS means less than beating FIU by 40 on Fox Sports?

Tell that to all of the folks here who keep going on about "quality losses." Is it your position that losing to Alabama by 7 points in prime time on CBS means less than beating FIU by 40 on Fox Sports?
Yes it means less. The quality loss phenomenon is applied to P5 programs so they can justify putting a 4 loss Stanford team ahead of UCF or something. If a G5 loses to a top team it is because the top team was "looking ahead" or it was a "trap game" or "no motivation to play a G5 team", etc.

When Troy beats LSU, it was an off day for LSU. When LSU beats Troy, it's because LSU is obvious on a different level.
We will not get credit for beating an Alabama, even in a one-and-done scenario where we'd need to be 2 scores better to win a with a game winning FG. There is no point scheduling such a game.

Reactions: ucfversusbcs
Auburn is ranked 7th. If we beat them they would drop below 20. If they lost to Alabama (same resume as UCF) they would drop to 9. You do the math. A loss to an AAC team ends your season in the eyes of the committee.

Yes it means less. The quality loss phenomenon is applied to P5 programs so they can justify putting a 4 loss Stanford team ahead of UCF or something. If a G5 loses to a top team it is because the top team was "looking ahead" or it was a "trap game" or "no motivation to play a G5 team", etc.

Wow. Just wow. And I suppose you don’t think more people took notice of Troy after they beat LSU. Do a quick Google search by date and tell me how many times Troy was mentioned the two months after the loss versus the two months prior.

Remember when UCF got that quality top 10 win against Louisville and then the AP never ranked them above 18 again until after they destroyed Miami in a bowl game despite going 12-1. At the end of the day the team literally only had a loss to UCF and finished ranked #15. Memphis this year only has losses to UCF and they won't crack the top 10. 12-1 UCF beat #6 Baylor. Guess what they are no longer top 10. Teams that UCF plays can only be top 10 if they beat UCF, not if they lose. Whereas Auburn can be ranked #7 with 3 losses because "SEC".

My point is the Nub (as you call them why didnt i think of that?) socialite fans and theyre socialite because if P5 was removed they wouldnt be fans of FBS football, were coming to our boards and spouting off advice for our program yet where's the Nub fans outrage when we're being left off their ooc schedule?
If the Nub fans really are genuine about their opinion of us, they should be upset we aren't on their schedule, otherwise the mods should have ban them instantly as they bring nothing to the table and even their attempts at nuance is coming apart at the seams.

Actually there has been talk from Nebraska fans about playing UCF. It does get us exposure to Florida, not to mention the relationship angle between Frost and the Knights.
Would be a great deal all around.

I would like to see Nebraska play UCF, Houston or SMU, and Fresno State more often for recruiting purposes. Now that Rutgers is in the B1G Jersey is open, which Nebraska used to recruit well pre 2000's. We just got a guy from New York offered which is a very good sign for us in a lightly tapped state.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT