ADVERTISEMENT

Supreme Court

bqknight

Golden Knight
Gold Member
Sep 27, 2009
I am speaking in hypotheticals but I have seen some people throw this out. If Clinton wins and let's say that the GOP keeps the Senate, are you all "okay" with the GOP blocking a Clinton Supreme Court appointment for her whole presidency?

I am speaking in hypotheticals but I have seen some people throw this out. If Clinton wins and let's say that the GOP keeps the Senate, are you all "okay" with the GOP blocking a Clinton Supreme Court appointment for her whole presidency?
I'm 100% serious when I say this, she will never make it through her term without being indicted. The only way she does is if Obama pardons her before he leaves and before she is sworn in.

I'm 100% serious when I say this, she will never make it through her term without being indicted. The only way she does is if Obama pardons her before he leaves and before she is sworn in.

Then let's say she if she doesn't get indicted as you say. If she is president for 4 years, are you okay with them blocking any appointment she sends up?

A pre-emptive pardon before she even gets charged would be hilarious and likely a giant Constitutional challenge.

Reactions: UCFhonors
They can't and won't do that. Hillary won't be nominating a someone to fill the current vacancy either way. If Hillary wins they're going to confirm Garland before January.

Reactions: USFSucks
Can Hillary pardon herself? Im an attorney and I dont know.
No, according to Article II, Section 2 of the Consitution

"he shall have Power to grant Reprieves and Pardons for Offenses against the United States, except in Cases of Impeachment."

Now, if she's charged and convicted prior to taking office, then maybe, but if she's charged and then impeached, she could not pardon herself. I would also think that the spirit of the wording would prohibit her from pardoning herslef even if she were to be convicted prior to office, but that's a grey area that would definitely be a Constitutional challenge.

Reactions: UCFhonors
She would never be impeached and she'll never be indicted. It would get through the house but Dems in the Senate would never vote against her no matter what comes out. Her own DoJ isn't going to indict her either.

Reactions: UCFWayne
It's amazing that this is a real possibility. It's one thing is a sitting President gets indicted/impeached (and terrible enough), but to vote for someone that is under federal investigation is insanity.
It would be one of the fastest trials in history if it were to happen. I doubt anything could actually be done to reach a conviction in a trial with discovery of this magnitude in less than 60 days.

Republicans: pro-democracy and Constitution...until they decide to NOT vote on judges, threaten to never vote for judges, threaten to contest an election for no reason, threaten to NOT concede an election, etc.

Then they say Obama is the most divisive President ever. He forced them to not do their jobs.

No, but it wouldn't be unprecedented.

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2016/02/26/long-supreme-court-vacancies-used-to-be-more-common/

The longest vacancy was over two years as the Whig-controlled Senate refused to confirm any appointments made by John Tyler in 1844-1846. Nice to see that we can return to such a wonderful age of cooperation.

A pre-emptive pardon before she even gets charged would be hilarious and likely a giant Constitutional challenge.
Remember this is the wife of the President that pardoned someone on the FBI's Ten most wanted list. Pardon's are for those that have either served a portion of their time or were wrongfully convicted. Bill pardoned someone that was doing business with foreign governments that were considered terrorist.

Remember this is the wife of the President that pardoned someone on the FBI's Ten most wanted list. Pardon's are for those that have either served a portion of their time or were wrongfully convicted. Bill pardoned someone that was doing business with foreign governments that were considered terrorist.
And you know who took over the FBI investigation into Rich's pardon that ended up resulting in no charges against Clinton? James Comey.

Rich's pardon was odd because he had only been indicted, not convicted, but he was on the lamb, so in essence he had evaded judgement, which in and of itself is a crime.

I would be 100% behind the congress blocking everything she would do. She does not deserve the office if you think Obama is bad, just wait.

Well I think Obama was great. Do you all not realize where this country was when he was elected?

I'm going to miss him.

Well I think Obama was great. Do you all not realize where this country was when he was elected?

I'm going to miss him.
So you like less people working today than when he was elected? You like seeing way more people on wellfare? I assume you love your health care costs going through the roof. Do you like ISIS? I dont remember them being around when he was elected.

So you like less people working today than when he was elected? You like seeing way more people on wellfare? I assume you love your health care costs going through the roof. Do you like ISIS? I dont remember them being around when he was elected.

Or how about adding more to the national debt vs all other presidents combined. I'm glad he will be gone. He is a community organizer which is code for useless.

Reactions: barrister1602

I'm going to miss him.
Actually @bqknight I am very interested to hear why you think he was so great. Please explain it to us. I would love to know where you are coming from.

Actually @bqknight I am very interested to hear why you think he was so great. Please explain it to us. I would love to know where you are coming from.

I'm assuming it has to do with gay marriage, which Obama had nothing to do with. That was the Supreme Court.

I'm going to miss him.
I really have to wonder about your intellect. The economy was bad but not as the media said, they made is sound like the depression all over again and it was not. Even if you want to give credit to Obama on saving the economy than you have to bash him for the slowest recover in American history. Let's not forget that he ruined the health care system on a lie, he has put more regulations on businesses than all the Presidents before him and there is more and more coming. He will go down as one of the worst, if not the worst President in American history. Take off your civil rights, feel good glasses and look at the facts.

Now you want to vote for the most corrupt person in american political history. She will be indicted, and its not a right wing conspiracy. She sold her office for her foundation which gives only 10% of its income after administrative fees to their causes. She speaks of income inequality yet her daughter gets a $600,000 income from her foundation for just being on the board and doing nothing. She has not driven her own car in over 25 years, shopped at a grocery store in over 25 years or felt the pain of an average American which her team said she despises yet she claims to stand for the average American.

Seriously, she is a bad person and the person she wants to replace was a bad person. Show me what Obama has done for the inner cities? Show me what Obama has done for the working class? Show me anything because I don't see it.

Reactions: barrister1602
I really have to wonder about your intellect. The economy was bad but not as the media said, they made is sound like the depression all over again and it was not. Even if you want to give credit to Obama on saving the economy than you have to bash him for the slowest recover in American history. Let's not forget that he ruined the health care system on a lie, he has put more regulations on businesses than all the Presidents before him and there is more and more coming. He will go down as one of the worst, if not the worst President in American history. Take off your civil rights, feel good glasses and look at the facts.

Now you want to vote for the most corrupt person in american political history. She will be indicted, and its not a right wing conspiracy. She sold her office for her foundation which gives only 10% of its income after administrative fees to their causes. She speaks of income inequality yet her daughter gets a $600,000 income from her foundation for just being on the board and doing nothing. She has not driven her own car in over 25 years, shopped at a grocery store in over 25 years or felt the pain of an average American which her team said she despises yet she claims to stand for the average American.

Seriously, she is a bad person and the person she wants to replace was a bad person. Show me what Obama has done for the inner cities? Show me what Obama has done for the working class? Show me anything because I don't see it.

I thought her daughter got $900k a year from the "foundation". Life is good being dead broke, huh?

I'm going to miss him.

Please elaborate. I look forward to pointing out how many things had nothing to do with him.

Please elaborate. I look forward to pointing out how many things had nothing to do with him.
Don't count on it, he is a one issue voter and that is gay rights. Problem with that is, gay people need jobs as well. Good luck with your American dream, I hope you have rich parents, you are going to need them.

I'm going to miss him.
I'm guessing you vote almost totally on social policies, is that correct? If so, then I totally agree with you, he's been great. Economically he's been terrible though.

Don't count on it, he is a one issue voter and that is gay rights. Problem with that is, gay people need jobs as well. Good luck with your American dream, I hope you have rich parents, you are going to need them.
I will never understand why gay people are voting for Clinton. She was staunchly anti-gay until she had no other choice politically,

I will never understand why gay people are voting for Clinton. She was staunchly anti-gay until she had no other choice politically,
And at the same time, Trump at the Republican National Committee went out of his way to make sure that gay rights were brought up in his speech which is something he did not need to do but did. It is like black people voting democrat, never understood it.

Not going to happen. If she wins senate will be very close no matter who actually has the tie breaking side.

And at the same time, Trump at the Republican National Committee went out of his way to make sure that gay rights were brought up in his speech which is something he did not need to do but did. It is like black people voting democrat, never understood it.

Gay people have more issue with his running mate, who may be one of the most anti-gay politicians there is (as I have brought up examples in previous threads).

Sure, gay rights are important to me, I don't know why anyone would think differently, it shapes a pretty large portion of my life, something that you all never really had to deal with. This is not the only issue I care about though. When it comes down to it, we have different point of views on how a country should work, nothing wrong with that. I am doing fine professionally and economically and nearly everyone around me, including my family is much better off now then they were in 2008.

Gay people have more issue with his running mate, who may be one of the most anti-gay politicians there is (as I have brought up examples in previous threads).

Sure, gay rights are important to me, I don't know why anyone would think differently, it shapes a pretty large portion of my life, something that you all never really had to deal with. This is not the only issue I care about though. When it comes down to it, we have different point of views on how a country should work, nothing wrong with that. I am doing fine professionally and economically and nearly everyone around me, including my family is much better off now then they were in 2008.

Unfortunately more people are on food stamps, health care is a diaster, and slowest recovery ever. This is with doubling the national debt. I don't know Pence view on gay rights, but I don't think there is any open issues. I think many are more open to supporting gay rights than 10 years ago. myself included.

Were you working professionally before 2008?

No, according to Article II, Section 2 of the Consitution

"he shall have Power to grant Reprieves and Pardons for Offenses against the United States, except in Cases of Impeachment."

Now, if she's charged and convicted prior to taking office, then maybe, but if she's charged and then impeached, she could not pardon herself. I would also think that the spirit of the wording would prohibit her from pardoning herslef even if she were to be convicted prior to office, but that's a grey area that would definitely be a Constitutional challenge.

I tried to like this post 3 times.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT