ADVERTISEMENT

Switching from Verizon

I switched to Verizon from Sprint a few years ago and they charge me for international travel usage.

However, I wanted better reception (especially at football games) and it’s absolutely no better.

Most of my friends have T-mobile and seem to like it.

Guess it depends on what you’re looking for. Verizon isn’t that cheap and they have raised my rates twice, so I may switch

Which company are you happy with?
I had Verizon ('00-'04), then the mess of AT&T/Cingular ('04-05), and the class action lawsuit after Cingular bricked my AT&T phone after 4 months, and still charged me $2K.

After all that non-sense, I switched to T-mobile ('05+), and have never looked back. They have one of the fastest 5G networks, and their 600/700MHz is pretty good in rural areas.

In fact, T-mobile bought some of their 700MHz from Verizon, and then won the 600MHz auction from the FCC, which Verizon thought they were going to win, and planned on winning.

I've heard verizons previous main advantage was their massive 3G network. They are giving up that frequency spectrum so their advantage is dissipating. I haven't fact checked that so I'm open to correction.

I had Verizon ('00-'04), then the mess of AT&T/Cingular ('04-05), and the class action lawsuit after Cingular bricked my AT&T phone after 4 months, and still charged me $2K.

After all that non-sense, I switched to T-mobile ('05+), and have never looked back. They have one of the fastest 5G networks, and their 600/700MHz is pretty good in rural areas.

In fact, T-mobile bought some of their 700MHz from Verizon, and then won the 600MHz auction from the FCC, which Verizon thought they were going to win, and planned on winning.
The one negative of TMobile is coverage in rural areas but they have improved a lot the last few years w that.
It's the 600-700MHz bands, including what Verizon sold T-mobile, thinking they'd win a replacement from the US FCC, only T-mobile outbid Verizon for that low frequenty band too (lower frequency = longer wavelength = farther range). T-mobile has utterly filled in most of the rural highways, including the panhandle, and AT&T had had to match.

Outside my house in a vally in the middle of Alabama, both T-mobile 700MHz (5G capable) and legacy Verizon CDMA (3G) are a very weak 1-bar, and nothing inside. The T-mobile is much faster, even if just as inconsistent. It's pretty good anywhere around Huntsville, although I can drop in rural, hilly areas. Alabama has less than 5M people though.

BTW, anyone trying Boost for their $25/mo plan? Boost now has their own towers, as T-mobile was forced by the US FTC (I think it was the FTC) to fund Boost's own, physical network, all while still leasing roaming from AT&T, T-mobile and Verizon. Probably a consideration if you have kids to keep it $100/mo.

I bring it up because it's $25/mo unlimited, with 30GB of priority, before being slowed down. No hotspot though, and the minimum plan for hotspot is $50/mo. The Canada and Mexico roaming also costs more than T-mobile. But ... it does have the advantage of being able to use other carrier networks, at least 4G/5G.

There is a family of 4 plan with shared priority data, including hotspot. But if you don't need hotspot, $25/mo/line is probably best, and gives far more priority data, if you want to go Boost. I just like that they are no longer a cloud-only provider, and have really 'led' the whole 'hybrid certification,' which they are actively marketing (rather stupidly, but still ... it's one fact they can broadcast).

Reactions: Poolside Knight
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT