ADVERTISEMENT

Ted Roof

Yaes

Bronze Knight
Gold Member
Dec 12, 2017
Was Ted Roof a good hire? He was fired at Oklahoma for poor defensive performance. The Sooners lost to Kansas and Oklahoma State, and they gave up 520 yards in a 69-45 win over TCU. Roof’s final game was a 38-24 loss to Arizona in the Alamo Bowl when quarterback Noah Fifita passed for 354 yards and two touchdowns. Should Addison Williams been retained as Co-defensive Coordinator and promoted to Asociate Head Coach? I'm not feeling it.

The Zemaster says…

FX_C8gDXoAEtfrW.jpg:large

Well, I made it abundantly clear that I wanted Gary Patterson. I thought he was the obvious choice from Day 1.

In retrospect, however, it probably would have been a bad look for UCF to announce the hire of a defensive coordinator, who used a racial slur at his previous stop, followed by the announced signing of a linebacker, who projects to be the only Caucasian on scholarship on defense.

I don’t know why I am surprised at how bad this hire is. Gus has a mission to make UCF football unwatchable.

Look when hiring coaches…specially a head coach, OC or DC, it’s always important to hire someone with a “hot hand”. Hire someone who is on the rise, someone that’s energized and had very recent success. Hiring a 60 year old dude that was just fired from OU is the opposite of that.

See if he lasts longer than 2 wks like last time here

Stylistically i like the hire. I like the risk/rewards of an attacking defense. You give up big plays but also cause alot more turnovers. The end result is your defense stays fresh by not being on the field for long 80 yard drives.

Reactions: U C to the F
Stylistically i like the hire. I like the risk/rewards of an attacking defense. You give up big plays but also cause alot more turnovers. The end result is your defense stays fresh by not being on the field for long 80 yard drives.
And has the potential to get the ball after a quick score (by the other team) or by a quick turnover (by the other team). Either way, you have the ball.

I cannot find a single 2010 Auburn defensive compilation video, but the season overall turned out ok.

Isn't that the type of defense Williams was supposed to run?

At least he has experience and GOL wanted him so let's hope for the best!
Whatever one thinks about GOL, he knew defense. I just wish Gus would stop hiring old guys from his past. If he would give them some freedom, some new blood would be a welcome sign.

I would have preferred a younger proven G5 DC as opposed to a guy who has bounces around so much. Can he recruit?I’ve seen a lot of G5 HC going to a big school as the OC or DC recently, making 7 figures instead of 6 figures. We prob don’t have that kind of pull or $ yet though.

I view this as a positive though, anything is an upgrade from Addison defense of last year. Just so bad.

I would have preferred a younger proven G5 DC as opposed to a guy who has bounces around so much. Can he recruit?I’ve seen a lot of G5 HC going to a big school as the OC or DC recently, making 7 figures instead of 6 figures. We prob don’t have that kind of pull or $ yet though.

I view this as a positive though, anything is an upgrade from Addison defense of last year. Just so bad.
I agree, another year of Williams would have been more than I could stomach! Why would they make him Asociate Head Coach?

Reactions: Knight59

He’s not going to recruit. Generally the position coaches in the defense do the heavy lifting on recruiting. This old dude is going to take it easy and collect paychecks.

I would say that he’s a much better option that Addisson Williams…that’s for sure. That dude should hav never been hired. He was the DB coach of a BAD secondary.

Last edited:
He’s not going to recruit. Generally the position coaches in the defense do the heavy lifting on recruiting. This old dude is going to take it easy and collect paychecks.
He is going to recruit, but I doubt he goes north of Atlanta.

Addison Williams signed 9 defensive backs in one cycle, so obviously he can recruit.

The real question that remains is what becomes of the rest of the staff. David Gibbs deserves to be extended, and Ernie Sims deserves to be shown the door. The run defense was atrocious and inexcusable under Sims' watch. The secondary has been consistently ranked among the top 25 nationally for pass efficiency defense for three consecutive years.

However, I doubt Gibbs will take the necessary pay cut to remain on staff. Sims makes $250k; Gibbs, $450k.

The decision has already been made, but not made public. Gus either retained Sims and plans to allow him to learn to coach under Roof for the next two, maybe three years (like Williams did under Gibbs) or Gus canned that South Florida throwback and put Roof in charge of the linebackers and the front seven and Gibbs, the secondary. If Gus somehow retained Gibbs and added Roof, UCF will field one of the best, if not the best, defensive staff in the Big 12..

Having two former Auburn defensive coordinators, including a national championship-winner, on one staff would be incredible for UCF!
I would say that he’s a much better option that Addisson Williams…that’s for sure. That dude should hav never been hired. He was the DB coach of a BAD secondary.
I would feel a lot better about the defense had Gus hired a "no name" G5 defensive coordinator from the Sun Belt East.

Oh snap, I didn't realize that's what y'all did.

Old Men Laughing GIF by ABC Network

He is going to recruit, but I doubt he goes north of Atlanta.

Addison Williams signed 9 defensive backs in one cycle, so obviously he can recruit.

The real question that remains is what becomes of the rest of the staff. David Gibbs deserves to be extended, and Ernie Sims deserves to be shown the door. The run defense was atrocious and inexcusable under Sims' watch. The secondary has been consistently ranked among the top 25 nationally for pass efficiency defense for three consecutive years.

However, I doubt Gibbs will take the necessary pay cut to remain on staff. Sims makes $250k; Gibbs, $450k.

The decision has already been made, but not made public. Gus either retained Sims and plans to allow him to learn to coach under Roof for the next two, maybe three years (like Williams did under Gibbs) or Gus canned that South Florida throwback and put Roof in charge of the linebackers and the front seven and Gibbs, the secondary. If Gus somehow retained Gibbs and added Roof, UCF will field one of the best, if not the best, defensive staff in the Big 12..

Having two former Auburn defensive coordinators, including a national championship-winner, on one staff would be incredible for UCF!

I would feel a lot better about the defense had Gus hired a "no name" G5 defensive coordinator from the Sun Belt East.

Oh snap, I didn't realize that's what y'all did.

Old Men Laughing GIF by ABC Network
Bro…nobody but you cares about having all these Auburn nobodies in the staff. Read the thread I created about Bill Brechin…he would be a zillion times better hire than good ole boy Ted Roof.

Bro…nobody but you cares about having all these Auburn nobodies in the staff. Read the thread I created about Bill Brechin…he would be a zillion times better hire than good ole boy Ted Roof.
He coaches the secondary. Already got/had two defensive coordinators in the secondary.

UCF needed somebody to coach linebackers and the front seven. The best guys available, in order, were 1 Gary Patterson, Nowhere; 2 Maurice Crum, SMU; and 3 Vince Kehres, Toledo.

If you want to read up on a guy, read up on Kehres....

Son of the winningest coach in college football history.

Head coaching record of 95-6 (.941) and two national championships.

Part of 12 of 13 national championships.

His own head coach took a $50,000 pay cut to give him more money.

I am so glad y'all have nothing to do with hiring and firing at UCF.

It is not every day you can hire a legitimate national championship-winning defensive coordinator.

But today is that day.
Hope you are right but why did he have such a difficult time the second half of the season?

Hope you are right but why did he have such a difficult time the second half of the season?''
You are asking the wrong question. Ask "Why was he at Oklahoma to begin with?"

Since 2007 (16 seasons), 11 defensive coordinators have won BCS/CFP national championships.

As of today, Charlie Strong, Jeremy Pruitt, and Bo Pelini are unemployed.

Kirby Smart, Brent Venables, Dave Aranda, and Greg Schiano are head coaches.

Jesse Minter (Michigan), Will Muschamp (Georgia), Pete Golding (Ole Miss) and Ted Roof (UCF) are the only remaining guys who coordinate defenses.

Minter, Muschamp, and Golding have coached in eight-to-10 combined CFP appearances. That's pretty elite company.

Point is when he took over at Oklahoma, Venables, himself one of the only eight active national championship-winning defensive coordinators still coaching, had a blank check to hire anybody in the country he wanted to lead his defense and he chose Roof, a fellow national championship-winning defensive coordinator.

Maybe Verables didn't get the memo to "ALWAYS hire the young hot hand over an old retread." ($1 to Lobo)

Roof has been coordinating defenses in the Big 12 for two seasons now. It is not like he is coming over the Sun Belt East ($1 more to Lobo)

:D

This is one of the greatest hires in UCF history. Don't let anyone spin it any other way.

The only way it could get better is if Gus fired David Gibbs and hired Gene Chizik to coach safeties. Then, UCF could have two former national championship-winning defensive coordinators, two Frank Broyles assistant COTY award winners, two former Auburn AND UCF defensive coordinators, and all three main coaches who won the 2010 national championship together on the same staff.

I would have to buy season tickets if that happened.

Last edited:
@LoboCane will have a field day over this jewel, but I would be remiss not post it. I guess all Gus needs is semblance of defense to be successful at UCF.

2010 BCS Championship: A Defensive Look At The Oregon Ducks and Auburn Tigers​

bleacherreportDOTcom/articles/561543-2010-bcs-championship-a-defensive-look-at-the-oregon-ducks-and-auburn-tigers

"Since 2000, the winner of the Crystal Football has had a unit ranked no worse than 23rd in Total Defense, and no worse than 17th in Scoring Defense; each a far cry from Auburn's 54th ranking in BOTH categories, but actually very comparable to Oregon's 25th and 14th rankings."

Cracking Up Lol GIF

vfy8xg9neijakprv2vrq

Keep on mind, though, the two Greatest Coaches in UCF history both hired this man as Defensive Coordinator.

Last edited:
Ohio State just hired a retread old coordinator. They going going down hill also.

Bill O'Brien joins Ryan Day's Ohio State staff as OC​

@LoboCane will have a field day over this jewel, but I would be remiss not post it. I guess all Gus needs is semblance of defense to be successful at UCF.

2010 BCS Championship: A Defensive Look At The Oregon Ducks and Auburn Tigers​

bleacherreportDOTcom/articles/561543-2010-bcs-championship-a-defensive-look-at-the-oregon-ducks-and-auburn-tigers

"Since 2000, the winner of the Crystal Football has had a unit ranked no worse than 23rd in Total Defense, and no worse than 17th in Scoring Defense; each a far cry from Auburn's 54th ranking in BOTH categories, but actually very comparable to Oregon's 25th and 14th rankings."

Cracking Up Lol GIF

vfy8xg9neijakprv2vrq

Keep on mind, though, the two Greatest Coaches in UCF history both hired this man as Defensive Coordinator.
When did Gene McDowell hire Roof? Make no mistake, Gus may not even be in the top 5

Reactions: Yaes
When did Gene McDowell hire Roof? Make no mistake, Gus may not even be in the top 5
Gene McDowell??? WTH! Never heard of him.

Let me give you some statistics.

Only SIX active head coaches have wins over uGay's Kirby Smart, the best CFB coach today..

Only TWO active head coaches have wins over Smart AND Smart, the alledged best CFB coach ever

One of those two is the current head coach of the AUBURN TIGERS; the other is the current head coach of the UCF KNIGHTS.

A growing concern with Ted Roof and David Gibbs is both worked under Missouri coach Eli Drinkawitz. Roof won a conference title with Drinkawitz at App State and Gibbs came to Orlando from Columbia.

Missouri has been striking out on defensive coordinators: DJ Durkin reportedly turned down Missouri twice.

Who will Mizzou football hire to replace Blake Baker at defensive coordinator? 7 names to watch

Ted Roof, available

This might not be a popular name, but it is an option.

Roof was Eli Drinkwitz’s defensive coordinator at Appalachian State in 2019, when the Mountaineers won the Sun Belt title. The two were on the same staff during Auburn’s national title run in 2010.

The defensive play-caller was just fired by Oklahoma coach Brett Venables.

Gene McDowell??? WTH! Never heard of him.

Let me give you some statistics.

Only SIX active head coaches have wins over uGay's Kirby Smart, the best CFB coach today..

Only TWO active head coaches have wins over Smart AND Smart, the alledged best CFB coach ever

One of those two is the current head coach of the AUBURN TIGERS; the other is the current head coach of the UCF KNIGHTS.

MORON. Gus is a zit on UCF history. He's yet to do anything. Gene McDowell saved UCF football. Know the bare facts before you prove yourself an ignorant imbecille. Heyo maybe your love child Gus will actually care to win this year! I swear, as much as Malzahn--literally 'bad tooth' may be an acceptable HC you're nut-hugging makes me think we got stuck with a giant loser who's done not a dang thing since he's arrived. (Don't believe it, but you're a complete moron) Gus is his wildest dreams wish he could have as much importance as Gene McDowell had. So far, Gus is 1%, and that's solely for the UF bowl win, which really doesn't matter. Lost to Navy TWICE. What a loser.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT