ADVERTISEMENT

Temple game - crazy ending

UCFhonors

Todd's Tiki Bar
Feb 20, 2010
Subing Tacko in at the end made no sense.

Great game. Not our best but it's tough to get a road win.

Don't know how we won either of the past 2 games! All five starters in double figures. What a gutsy game: made 6-7 at the end. Learning how to finish games!!! Now 18-10, 2 in a row on the road after no road wins for 6+ weeks. Now tied with Memphis for 5th place.
Update:
Tacko had a monster game with 5 blocks, double-double (14-10), 6 dunks, and 30+ minutes. Tacko now holds the UCF season rebounding record, passing Ken Leeks.
After dismal shooting the first half, shot 58% in the second and just ONE turnover!
Temple a great team, shot lights out despite our defense, pin point passes.
Down 9 at halftime, then by 11 but Matt made an NBA 3, another 3, and step-back two to tie it up. Banyard and BJ kept us in the game the rest of the way with big scores. Banyard had another double-double and BJ made four 3's and our last 6 games (ice in his veins).
Marc Daniels says BJ missed second free throw on purpose, to use up part of remaining 3.6 second when Temple had to rebound.
Long delay as Matt caught a pass and swung his arms to shoot while Alston moved in to face guard him as every defender does to him. Elbow to mouth, Alston on floor bleeding, refs after 4 minutes and much discussion didn't call a flagrant, a technical, or even a foul! And they were right. Two near fights. Thought of the old Broad Street Bullies of the 70s Flyers.
Getting out-rebounded the first half, took over the board in 2nd half: 41-26 for the game!
Had only 6 fouls the whole game, 12 assists, and just 9 turnovers (5 by Tacko)
No rest for the weary again with Tank still hurting. AD had a gutsy game with great effort.
Dawkins just said this team has a lot of heart and playing their best basketball.

Last edited:

The worry was we weren't even going to get the ball in, but at 47% the odds are bad either way. I'm sure Tacko was supposed to be the last option.

I don't get the subbing Tacko in either... well I do (they wanted to get a clear inbounds) but with how poor of a free throw shooter he is, I don't think it was worth it. We're lucky that the Temple guy missed the open 3 at the end. However, gotta give BJ Taylor credit. He's so streaky, but he was in the zone in the 2nd half.

I don't get the subbing Tacko in either... well I do (they wanted to get a clear inbounds) but with how poor of a free throw shooter he is, I don't think it was worth it. We're lucky that the Temple guy missed the open 3 at the end. However, gotta give BJ Taylor credit. He's so streaky, but he was in the zone in the 2nd half.
Dawkins just said it was a bad out of bounds position and they needed to get it in. Tacko had just made his previous two free throws and had been making his first free throws in end-of-game situations.

A win on the road is always welcome. Having Tacko in on that inbound play made no sense to me. Matt Williams dribbling the ball down into the corner wasn't smart either. I think, and I certainly could be wrong, but thought if he let them foul him by the sideline at mid-court we would have inbounded from there, which would have left the court wide open for inbounding the ball.

Reactions: UCFhonors
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT