ADVERTISEMENT

Texas, Oklahoma reach out to SEC about joining conference?! Realignment thread

Them reaching out screams click bait article. The conference is the one that needs to reach out.

There will be a scramble, funny I was reading an article yesterday about the demise of the Big East and how all the members were calm until Pitt and Syracuse left out the blue and then it became a scramble for the rest to find a life boat off the sinking ship, even involving high powered politicians.

This stuff can go from nothing to everything real fast, and I think it will happen, the rest of the Big12 members are already on the phone with the other conferences. We need to be on the phones as well and get in while the doors are opening

Brands like Baylor, Iowa State and Texas Tech spent a long time building up their brands in the Big 12, but if they are not competing against an Oklahoma or Texas on an annual basis then their popularity on their own is just a blip. TCU would be the only major market team left.

At that point, if the rumors are heavy enough that OU and Texas are leaving, I'm turning down an invite to the Big 12. Don't want to run the risk of being orphaned after a Big 12 implosion when those programs leave.

Would love for the AAC to re-negotiate it's TV contract after picking up an orphaned WVU (a good geographical partner with brand recognition) and TCU. The rest of the programs are worthless (no one cares about KU basketballto where they will pay $$$$$$ for it)

With the expanded playoff I don’t see the upside for Texas or Oklahoma.
Probably a negotiation tactic for Big 12 TV rights. Money wise, could be a huge advantage. Or this could be where Big 12 gets left behind and SEC leads the charge from breaking away from NCAA. Already indications that amateur football is out the window, might as well make it official and take the money that comes with it.

Over the years I've heard people repeatedly say OU was tied to OK State by state law. Meaning they have to stay in the same conference. Anybody know how true this is?

This is what will happen one day.

We are seeing the shift to less but more competitive conferences. I'm eventually picturing a 2 conference college football professional league.

This is what happened in many professional sports in the early days. There will be the SEC and there will be some kind of northern or other conference that will feature OSU, Clemson, FSU, Michigan, Penn State, etc.

The money will eventually become concentrated in these top programs and programs that can't keep up will shut down their football programs or will be seen as the same way we see the NBA D league, or MLB minors, or some kind of farm system.

Pretty sure each team within the SEC has single veto power, so no way this happens.

I think the SEC would take OU in a heartbeat, but for Texas to join the SEC I would think they would have to get rid of the longhorn network, and I am not sure they would be willing to do that.

This will change how a 12 team playoff happens. No way SEC doesn't earn additional spot or more. But seems if this were to go through, the entire system will change. Two separate leagues.

This will change how a 12 team playoff happens. No way SEC doesn't earn additional spot or more. But seems if this were to go through, the entire system will change. Two separate leagues.

I think the system is going to end up changing drastically anyway. Supposedly Bama's QB has already made a million dollars with NIL, and there is simply no way for smaller schools to be to compete with that. It does kind of make sense for the bigger schools just to join together and create a mini NFL type situation.

Reactions: Endeavor.
yea the new playoff structure is far from set and any massive realignment will definitely change what we "expected" to happen with the playoff, which was the top 6 conference champions get in. that might all go out the window

yea the new playoff structure is far from set and any massive realignment will definitely change what we "expected" to happen with the playoff, which was the top 6 conference champions get in. that might all go out the window
Those who hate the 2-1 may get their wish. SEC could go conference only.

Brands like Baylor, Iowa State and Texas Tech spent a long time building up their brands in the Big 12, but if they are not competing against an Oklahoma or Texas on an annual basis then their popularity on their own is just a blip. TCU would be the only major market team left.

At that point, if the rumors are heavy enough that OU and Texas are leaving, I'm turning down an invite to the Big 12. Don't want to run the risk of being orphaned after a Big 12 implosion when those programs leave.

Would love for the AAC to re-negotiate it's TV contract after picking up an orphaned WVU (a good geographical partner with brand recognition) and TCU. The rest of the programs are worthless (no one cares about KU basketballto where they will pay $$$$$$ for it)
G5 conferences don't pick up P5 teams. It's the other way around. Yea...the current AAC might be better than the 8 teams left in the B12...until the top 2-4 AAC teams leave to join the B12.

G5 conferences don't pick up P5 teams. It's the other way around. Yea...the current AAC might be better than the 8 teams left in the B12...until the top 2-4 AAC teams leave to join the B12.
would be pointless, leave and join the Big12 which immediately dissolves due to no Blue Blood program attached and gets renamed as the American Conference 2

Reactions: Yaes
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr"><a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/BREAKING?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc^tfw">#BREAKING</a>: <br><br>Early next week, the <a href="https://twitter.com/TexasLonghorns?ref_src=twsrc^tfw">@TexasLonghorns</a> and <a href="https://twitter.com/UofOklahoma?ref_src=twsrc^tfw">@UofOklahoma</a> will send a letter to the <a href="https://twitter.com/Big12Conference?ref_src=twsrc^tfw">@Big12Conference</a> stating that neither school will renew their media contracts when they expire in 2025. <br><br>-more-</p>&mdash; Jason Whitely (@JasonWhitely) <a href="">July 22, 2021</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

BREAKING NEWS......Texas and Oklahoma will not renew there Television Contracts in 2025.....
Oh my Things are happening fast..

• Wow
Wow. This is nuts. I could see the Big 12 trying to add UCF, Memphis, Cincinnati before they completely fall apart (I could see WV joining the ACC and replacing ND to keep them at 15)

A conference of

Baylor
Iowa State
Oklahoma State
Texas Tech
TCU
Kansas
Kansas State
UCF
Memphis
Cincinnati

Would definitely be an upgrade over what we're currently doing. I wonder if they could also get Boise St and even Wichita for Basketball. Don't know how KState and KU would feel about Wichita though. Similar to how UM feels about us potentially going to ACC.

Either way, the SEC adding teams is GREAT for us. When any other conference tries to add, we will be their first call.

This is it boys. Now we have to win

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr"><a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/BREAKING?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc^tfw">#BREAKING</a>: <br><br>Early next week, the <a href="https://twitter.com/TexasLonghorns?ref_src=twsrc^tfw">@TexasLonghorns</a> and <a href="https://twitter.com/UofOklahoma?ref_src=twsrc^tfw">@UofOklahoma</a> will send a letter to the <a href="https://twitter.com/Big12Conference?ref_src=twsrc^tfw">@Big12Conference</a> stating that neither school will renew their media contracts when they expire in 2025. <br><br>-more-</p>&mdash; Jason Whitely (@JasonWhitely) <a href=" ">July 22, 2021</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

BREAKING NEWS......Texas and Oklahoma will not renew there Television Contracts in 2025.....
Oh my Things are happening fast..
not sure how you're linking but for future reference, its easier to copy the webpage address from the search bar at the top and just paste it in the comment, would get rid of all the extra code 👍

Reactions: ElprofesorJuan
I think the system is going to end up changing drastically anyway. Supposedly Bama's QB has already made a million dollars with NIL, and there is simply no way for smaller schools to be to compete with that. It does kind of make sense for the bigger schools just to join together and create a mini NFL type situation.
We were never competing for Bryce to begin with

Reactions: ElprofesorJuan
Wow. This is nuts. I could see the Big 12 trying to add UCF, Memphis, Cincinnati before they completely fall apart (I could see WV joining the ACC and replacing ND to keep them at 15)

A conference of

Baylor
Iowa State
Oklahoma State
Texas Tech
TCU
Kansas
Kansas State
UCF
Memphis
Cincinnati

Would definitely be an upgrade over what we're currently doing. I wonder if they could also get Boise St and even Wichita for Basketball. Don't know how KState and KU would feel about Wichita though. Similar to how UM feels about us potentially going to ACC.

Either way, the SEC adding teams is GREAT for us. When any other conference tries to add, we will be their first call.

This is it boys. Now we have to win
Not going to happen, they would rather do something to fuse with Pac 10 or ACC. UCF might be marginally in the conversation.

You all keep thinking of joining the Big 12, joining these elite leagues, etc. This is under the huge assumption these leagues continue as they have in the past. That's not what's happening.

Not going to happen, they would rather do something to fuse with Pac 10 or ACC. UCF might be marginally in the conversation.

You all keep thinking of joining the Big 12, joining these elite leagues, etc. This is under the huge assumption these leagues continue as they have in the past. That's not what's happening.
Correct think of when Big East dissolved...The schools that are left are not strong enough to Form a league by themselves....The AAC may get torn apart..

some of you need to stop being defeated all the time. Change is happening but UCF is attractive and in a good place as a Program. look at the Program in Tampa which used to look down at us
This is not a consolidation I would have expected, SEC is taking two additional huge programs. At this point if I was Florida State, Clemson, ect I would be asking to join SEC or B1G. Had Texas, Oklahoma gone to PAC-12, the 4 super conferences make sense. Now it seems like SEC will be the only true super conference with B1G following behind. ACC and PAC12 look lacking aside from a few marquee programs.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT