ADVERTISEMENT

Thanks Obama(care)

UCFWayne

Todd's Tiki Bar
Gold Member
Oct 7, 2011
Casselberry
I think everyone saw this coming but I got an email from my company today about how it will change next year.

"In 2016, all U.S. employees health insurance are required to meet three of five healthy biometrics in order to receive the 2016 premium reduction of $xxx for single plans and $xxx for family plans. Over the past few years, you have received this discount for simply completing an annual biometric screening and health assessment. Moving forward there is more required on your end to receive the discount. "

healthy biometrics requirements
To receive the discount, you (and your spouse if they are on your plan) must meet three of the five healthy biometrics listed below:

Blood Pressure below 140/90[/I]Body Mass Index (BMI) less than 30[/I]Glucose (Fasting less than 126) or (Non-Fasting less than 200)[/I]Total Cholesterol less than 200[/I]Tobacco (Never or Tobacco Free >1 Year) based on Health Assessment Response[/I]

And the problem is?

Easy: don't smoke, take your pills if you have diabetes, high blood pressure or high cholesterol.

BMI is a bullsh!t metric. It is a black or white system that doesn't take into account body type, muscle build, etc. Cholesterol is turning out to be a bs metric as well. Doctors are now saying that the cholesterol from eggs is good for you when for 20+ years they said otherwise.

I get BP and Tobacco as those are direct metrics to how much you are going to use health insurance, but the others need to be tweaked. I get that if you are 5'2" and weigh 300lbs, you are failing the BMI regardless of whether the test is bunk or not. When I played hockey, I was 6'2" - 235 lbs and built like a brick outhouse. According to BMI, I was obese.

Interesting that they only test for tobacco also...hmmm. That doesn't scream special interest.

Of course BMI is used. It is as form of social engineering and they obviously know that people of higher muscle build will fall into that category. Those in power, regardless of government, do not want strong, big people that can pose a resistance when even more restrictive policies come down the wire in the future. They want everyone skinny, happy, gender neutral and misandronized, and following the rules lock-step.
This post was edited on 2/25 1:00 PM by Malthus Doctrine

I don't see anything wrong with it. Our society takes care of enough LLT, let's try to cull the herd.

Originally posted by cnsaguy:
I don't see anything wrong with it. Our society takes care of enough LLT, let's try to cull the herd.
We can let that happen naturally, we don't need systematic facilitation of any single religious or philosophical idea being indoctrinated or official for that to happen. Anyone that says they know the answer to a problem with society is absolutely full of shit. I don't care how many acronyms follow their name.

Requiring the average US government employee to get up off their butt is not a bad thing. Every time I visit the Justice Department, I am blown away at the morbidly obese people I see with government IDs.

The next shoe to drop is how few of them are making that grade, so the government has to buy new gyms and trainers for everyone in government service.

Originally posted by HuffyCane:
Requiring the average US government employee to get up off their butt is not a bad thing. Every time I visit the Justice Department, I am blown away at the morbidly obese people I see with government IDs.

The next shoe to drop is how few of them are making that grade, so the government has to buy new gyms and trainers for everyone in government service.
*Cough*...*Cough*...*Police* ...*Cough*.

This post was edited on 2/25 1:09 PM by Malthus Doctrine

Is not even a test, you only need to answer the question: do you smoke? guess what the correct answer is.

BTW, it is 3 of 5 requirements for the discount

Originally posted by UCF11and1:
Is not even a test, you only need to answer the question: do you smoke? guess what the correct answer is.

How long until its 4 out of 5 or even 5 out of 5? Its not like I will fail any of these requirements, its just crazy that they are now starting to use them against people.

IDK maybe this is a good thing and people start to become healthier when it starts affecting their wallet.

Originally posted by Game_Day_Sports:
BMI is a bullsh!t metric. It is a black or white system that doesn't take into account body type, muscle build, etc. Cholesterol is turning out to be a bs metric as well. Doctors are now saying that the cholesterol from eggs is good for you when for 20+ years they said otherwise.

I get BP and Tobacco as those are direct metrics to how much you are going to use health insurance, but the others need to be tweaked. I get that if you are 5'2" and weigh 300lbs, you are failing the BMI regardless of whether the test is bunk or not. When I played hockey, I was 6'2" - 235 lbs and built like a brick outhouse. According to BMI, I was obese.
A- If you're really in such good shape that your BMI pushes 30, your BP, cholesterol, and blood glucose levels are probably awesome. Don't smoke and you never have to think about anything.

B- Cholesterol is bad for you if your body is bad at metabolizing cholesterol. For normal people, eating eggs is good and your body breaks down the excess cholesterol. For sensitive people, even if you take in less your body will accumulate more and it will be bad for you. Same eggs, different people, different results.

C- If anyone can't meet 3/5 of these criteria, it is 100% their fault. We have this crazy notion about what constitutes being fat in this country. I can guarantee if you're a fat smoker, you're never going to in a million years pay enough in by way of fines than you take out.

Originally posted by UCFWayne:

Originally posted by UCF11and1:

How long until its 4 out of 5 or even 5 out of 5? Its not like I will fail any of these requirements, its just crazy that they are now starting to use them against people.

IDK maybe this is a good thing and people start to become healthier when it starts affecting their wallet.
It would be crazy if it was used against people in deciding who to let go to the movies or get married or who the fire department will answer a call from.

The context that it is being used in here isn't crazy at all. It's not even a new concept is it?

Just curious is it the government angle or the discrimination on basis of health/weight the uncomfortable issue? If it's just the government, I am curious on your thoughts of airlines charging more for passengers that can't buckle the belt or fill up more than their seat.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT