ADVERTISEMENT

The Current Problems with ADs and Football Head Coaches

mattropolis

Diamond Knight
Jan 7, 2002
Since the transfer portal and NIL started (and direct pay on the way), they should never be signing a coach for more than 3 years…with 4th year option on first contract, then renegotiate on 3 year deals after that. You pay some more for the initial contract but you might not be losing more money down the road.

In the past the thought was if your coach is signed for a long period the kids will stay, and recruits would be attracted to that. That mindset should have gone out the window with the transfer portal & NIL.

The flip side of this is Jimbo. They extended him for a decade, then he tanked, got fired after 4? seasons and will collect the rest of his contract. Texas A&M thus lost the whole “stability” argument and it ended up being a very costly financial decision.

If this were the case Gus would be in his optional 4th season and we could move on without renewing him. By extending him, if we fire him we’re going to pay him big money anyways. Why not do something like load up the initial contract, including bigger incentives, taking into account some of what you might be paying them for a second contract but you give yourself an out.

This is good for coaches as well. Instead of forecasting current pay out for longer contracts, they can keep or find new jobs that the current market is setting.

Something like this. Someone has to be the first one to do something different. As was said in Moneyball,”The first one through the wall always gets bloodied.” Feel free to spitball ideas. I’d love to hear any. I just feel like ADs need to change the way they conduct business.

I really don’t think most players care about the stability aspect of college football coaching in general anymore.

Btw, I just saw pics of the Dwayne Wade Miami Heat statue. I don’t know how this could happen but it might be worse than the O’Leary statue.
damn, i was like it can't be that bad people always complain about these statues.

wow it's bad beyond my wildest imagination. it looks like laurence fishburn in 2024.

Ga7j7QDXoAAGDOn

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT